“A great place to stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Union Street Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Union Street Inn
You added Union Street Inn to your Saves list
Ranked #5 of 75 San Francisco B&B and Inns
Alton, United Kingdom
“A great place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Our first visit to San Francisco in October, and a great place to stay. Slightly out from the city centre, but the buses make it easy.

It is a Victorian experience, with excellent breakfasts, nothing was too much trouble from our hosts Jane and David.

The rooms were lovely. Slightly expensive but that is San Francisco. The Inn is also very handy for lots of local restaurants. Highly recommended

Room Tip: A room to the rear might be a little quieter
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank grahamjsampson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Korean first
Newport Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

My first visit to Union Street Inn won't be my last. The room, food, hospitality, garden and area is the best!! Great for walking, shopping, restaurants, and just relaxing. I went as a single, but felt like family. Can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Even though my room faced the street it was very quiet and peaceful
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank geri m
Jamestown, North Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Our second stay at the Inn was just as if not more enjoyable as the first. It really is like your home and I caught myself saying it out loud. The breakfast is one of a kind and can be personalized and served where you choose. We always learn from our wonderful talks with Jane, Herb and the crew. The personalized service is top notch and there isn't any other place we will ever stay when we visit San Francisco!! The shopping and restaurants within blocks are the best we have seen in any of our travels.
Thanks again!! We will see you again soon!

Mandeville, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Once again the Union Street Inn has made our vacation in San Francisco an unforgettable experience. It could be the rooms, the location or the food, but I think it is the personal service that makes staying here something truly special. My wife reminisced about how good the raspberry muffins we had here for breakfast on a previous visit, and the Inn-keepers went out of their way to prepare that same treat each morning for the rest of our stay. We met some new friends over the delightful breakfast and coffee in the main living room and shared stories of our current travels. Jane took care to cater to our wishes and wants and made each morning a unique and fresh start to our exploration of the city of San Francisco.

Room Tip: The carriage house room is a unique experience and makes one feel like they own a little cottage in...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We chose to stay at the Union Street Inn based off of reviews we had read from other travelers that enjoyed their stay. Let me tell you, it did not disappoint one bit. It was such a welcome retreat from being out all day to come to a "home" that was so welcoming. We loved the tea and coffee that you could help yourself to at any time of the day (and even take with you on the go!). Ingenious idea. The breakfasts were out of this world; a bowl filled with tons of healthful and different fruits, delicious banana bread or muffins, amazing eggs. The fresh squeezed orange juice was also fantastic. We loved the room we stayed in, the ambiance of the entire inn, and the general environment was just fantastic from the outdoor area in the back, to the sitting area where we had breakfast. The location of the inn was perfect for us as well - pretty close to everything and very easy to find our way back. The staff was just fantastic, friendly, and so incredibly hospitable with everything. We felt like we were staying with friends. This was so much better than a hotel stay. We'd recommend the Union Street Inn to anyone considering staying in San Francisco and when we get back (which we hope to be very soon!) you can bet we'll be making reservations here again. Definitely recommend.

Room Tip: The road was right outside of our room (the New Yorker), and even being situated at the front of the...
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

If you want to experience the feel of the city without feeling like a visitor this is a great option. The proximity to the bridge and park is perfect for a run and no better way to visit the GGB and see the bay. The Union Street location is wonderful and gives you a true sense of the local culture. The inn itself is very warm and comfortable. I have always been apprehensive about staying at a B&B but this experience has changed my mind. Getting to know the other guests over a glass of wine or morning coffee was pleasant (this coming from somewhat of an introvert) and the staff could not have been more genuine, welcoming and interesting. Breakfast is not to be missed.

Skip the Wharf but visit Alcatraz!

Room Tip: We stayed in the cottage which was cozy and comfortable although a more expensive option. Although...
Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I'll start off by saying that I would highly recommend (and have already recommended) the Union Street Inn to anyone looking for a classy and warm stay in San Francisco. It's a bit expensive, but worth it. The people were very friendly, the place was gorgeous (with character!), great location, and fantastic food. My husband and I stayed here for our wedding in the Marina District. It really was perfect for us and for the occasion.

A few highlights: The morning of our wedding, I went for a long run and was back too late for breakfast. But without my asking, one of the kind owners made my favorite breakfast... she knew I would need it for the day ahead! This really helped the day start off just right. Later on, I got ready in the room with my bridesmaids and mom and photographer. The room (and garden) were the perfect setting for our wedding preparations (and the associated photos), and I will forever have very fond memories of this time.

That being said, there was a big stressor that I feel I should mention. Months before we stayed at Union Street Inn, we booked the room and were in contact with the owners. I had asked if it would be okay to store my wedding flowers (5 bouquets) in their refrigerators. They deliberated over this, then gave me a very enthusiastic yes (with many exclamation points). I thought, great!, I don't have to worry about this. But when I arrived the day before our wedding with the flowers, the man who greeted me had no idea that they were meant to store them, and the woman (who would later cook me the amazing breakfast) was quite distraught and rude about the situation. She almost broke my bridal bouquet by trying to shove it into a tiny beer fridge. I was almost in tears, as this was very stressful for someone with a lot on her shoulders who thought she had arranged a good solution months ago. In the end, we stored the flowers in the garage, and they were kind enough to give me a mister to keep them hydrated and cool. Tensions softened, and the rest of the stay was great, but I did have my doubts in that first hour.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family