“Excellent Staff Excellent Location”

The Willows Bed and Breakfast Inn
Ranked #9 of 72 San Francisco B&B and Inns
Dallas, Texas
“Excellent Staff Excellent Location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2013

We were stuck in San Francisco on Saturday 12/7 so at the last minute we booked the Willows Inn. We were first impressed with the accommodating and friendly last minute reservation we made. They actually were concerned that we were stuck in San Fran and were glad to have a room ready within the hour.

Upon arrival we were quickly greeted and taken to our room. He then showed us around the Inn pointing out where breakfast would be at and where the social hour would take place. Everything was very clean and well taken care of.

Our room was at the front of the Inn overlooking Market Street. We had a queen size bed, dresser, antique closet refrigerator, sink, and a small table with two chars. While the room looked old it was very clean and nice. A personal note with our names was on the night stand which was a very nice touch.

You have 2 Water Closets on each floor (Water closet is the toilet). And you have 2 shower rooms on each floor as well. The toilets and showers are shared with a sink in each bedroom. They provide nice robes for each room.

The location is excellent right on the MUNI line, and several grocery stores and resultants within just a few blocks.

Even our invoice that was left under the door had our names and thanked us for the business.
We talked to several staff members who were always friendly and welcoming. I felt like this was my own home and everyone was great to be around. We can’t wait to stay at the Willows Inn when we come back to San Francisco.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MJRLdal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013

The Willows B&B is located in the Castro neighborhood. If you are unfamiliar with SF, this is primary residential. The 101 "Central Freeway" terminates just around the corner so getting there and outa there is easy. This is a top-notch B&B, so if you frequent them, you know what that means. Baths/Showers are located centrally on each floor and are very clean and secure. In general rooms have running water, refrigerator, TV/VCR, phones, radio/alarm clock, desk, chair, roomy closet space, bureau, adequate electrical outlets, and extra blankets etc.
Good: on Mission street, public transportation, Safeway, Trader Joes, Starbucks, all kinds of shopping, food (groceries or take out), alcohol, all necessities in a block or so from the door.
Not so Great: Unfortunatelybar below on the street-side (don't take a room on street-side), no secure feeling taking a strool in the neighborhood in the evening, must book well in advance (month is a good idea), park on the street is OK but otherwise you pay $15/night and that is good in SF but still no easy parking for a residential neighborhood
Great: Healthy breakfast and plenty of it!, great hosts and not pretentious, walking distance to nice parks (20 minutes away from two) Corona Heights with one incredible panoramic view (watch out for dog poop), and Buena Vista has great trails for a flat ground run, and if you want to experience Haight/Ashbury, it is still there, but not what you would have seen in the 60's or 70's and Ben&Jerry's and others kinda made it seem a bit commercial (probably just not what we expected as naiive, nostalgic travellers.)
My wife and I are straight, but that did not make a difference. If you are phobic, you really don't deserve all SF has and it is one of the great cities of the world, and we have been travelling a lot.

Room Tip: Stay back from the street side, young people frequent the bar below and have hearing problems. All o...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Danvillme
Duluth, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013

We stayed at the Willows Inn because it was the best reasonably priced place we could find, but it turned out to be a hidden gem! We will never stay anywhere but here on any future trips to San Francisco! The Willows Inn is conveniently located near the intersection of Market St and Church street, so it is literally steps away from three major public transit lines, including the iconic cable cars and a few blocks from a bike share station. One of my favorite things about the Inn was that it is full of skylights, so there are plants and natural light throughout. Despite the fact that the Inn was full while we stayed there (they have 12 rooms), it was completely quiet for the entirety of our 4 day stay. The breakfast was amazing, and included cold and hot cereal, tea, coffee, yogurt, juice, hard boiled eggs, bagels and toast (the good kind - whole wheat) with a full assortment of things to spread on top, dried fruit and nuts, fresh fruit, and something sweet, like zucchini bread or coffee cake. In addition, the sweet item and the coffee are left out all day or until it runs out and the refrigerated items available all day long, so I found that I really enjoyed that I could come home at the end of a busy day and have a snack and some milk or juice before settling in for the night. Despite the fact that there are shared showers and bathrooms, we never had to wait for either. There are four staff members at the Inn, which allows you to get to know them. They were all very nice and incredibly helpful with dining and transit suggestions. We had the smallest room, which was still had plenty of room and its own sink and refrigerator. The TV is an "old-fashioned" box tv, which was fine, because we never had time for tv anyway. All in all, the Willows Inn was very charming and we completely enjoyed our stay there!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank smullen4677
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

We recently stayed at the Willows Bed & Breakfast Inn from August 23rd 2013 for 9 nights. From our first of many emails, to the warm welcome when we first arrived tired from our long flight from Adelaide South Australia, Mark showed us around the inn & made us feel at home.

Our room was great, clean & exactly what We expected, the amenities were clean & just down the hall.

During the cocktail hour We were able to speak with our hosts that was just so cool they advised us about the area & public transport & were extremely helpful. We met a whole lot of guests that were also staying at the B&B and made some new friends.

Breakfast was always on time & there was a great selection to choose from.

We had the larger upstairs room, although it was a little noisy in the early hours of the evening it really was not that bad & We always had a good sleep.

In the morning after breakfast the hosts were always there to talk about what We were going to do that day & offer their suggestions as well. All in all the Willows inn is a great place to stay & is well located to the Castro & downtown & easily accessible by public transport.

We cannot wait to return in 2015

Thanks so much to Mike, Mark, Jessie & JoJo for making our stay in San Francisco one that We will never forget

Jon & Tony.

Room Tip: We had a larger room at the front of the inn and would probably choose the same room again. The room...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Jon-Tony C
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Willows Bed and Breakfast Inn for two nights on Oct 4th and 5th. It was planned last minute 2 weeks before my arrival and I'm glad I made the right choice because my hosts were able to accommodate me without knowing it was the Castro street fair that weekend. Again I appreciate them. Anyways I arrived at the airport and got transportation to the inn. Once you arrive you will see a Vietnamese restaurant next to it and next to it is the small entrance (theres a yellow sign/cover right above it) to the inn. It is hard to miss however if you don't pay attention so keep your eyes open.

After finding the entrance I buzzed in and from there after being granted entrance I went up stairs and there I was greeted by Mark and got my keys. After I put down my carry on I was given a tour of the inn, which everything was neat and very home like. It was very beautiful and maintained. It is the Castro after all. Mark explained that breakfast is served in the mornings and where the location of everything was such and so forth. From there the tour ended and I enjoyed a conversation in the day room with some out of country guests, I did however arrived after happy hour which they do provide. After the conversation I ventured the Castro and SF for the next two days.

The rooms were neat and smelled fine. The rooms do not have a bathroom however but do have shared ones on each floor and every time it used it no one occupied them. The shared bathrooms were also well maintained. The rooms do provide you a bathrobe and fresh new towels for your use. My accommodations since they were last minute I stayed one night in a room with a queen size bed. It included an old tv (you're not there to watch tv) a mini fridge and a sink along with your bathroom items. The 2nd night I stayed in a two bedroom suite which had two queen size beds with an HDTV and a sink and bathroom items. Overall I was happy both nights and slept soundly.

Disclaimer: if you're looking to stay in SF on the cheap with awesome service this is the place. Keep in mind factor in taxes. I was thrown off by how SF charges on taxes. So keep in mind add around 15 % additional depending how long you stay. But this is not the inns fault it's the city and the state. (I've been spoiled by living in FL where taxes are low.) The service is awesome and worth it no matter what the cost.

I was heartbroken for leaving this inn! But I had to go! I recommend coming here again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank maui87a
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

I just returned from a perfect week in San Francisco. I was so happy staying at Willows from the moment I registered with Mark and he showed me around until Mike arranged for my ride to the airport and signed me out. JoJo knew I was an early riser and made sure to have the coffee ready extra early. Jesse was quitely there in the shadows. The staff encouraged me to feel at home and I did. There were opportunities to meet other very nice guests during breakfast and the evening cocktail hour. Great way to relax before an evening out. Everywhere was spotlessly clean. There are plenty of separate toilets and showers, so it was never a problem finding one available. A nice thick bathrobe was provided to make it easy to get around. The location was so great. There were lots of nice restaurants, a bakery, and laundries all within a block or two. Across the street is a major streetcar stop and subway station. A walk to Castro was maybe 10 minutes. It was the most perfect place for me to base my stay. It became the neighborhood I would most want to live in San Francisco if I lived in San Francisco. My room was charming. It was helpful having the sink with good lighting. I felt very at home in my new city thanks to The Willows. I only wish I had selected a back room. My room faced the street with a nice view, but it was too hot during a couple of unseasonably warm days and the noise from the streetcars bothered me. Luckily, they stopped at 12:30am. Next time I'll ask for a room in the back.

Room Tip: Unfortunately, I reserved a front room with a charming bay window and view. Unfortunately, it can g...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank gkny10011
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

Recently stayed for 4 nights with my friend. This is a very nice bnb located in the heart of the Castro. The building is typical of its era and retains the charm and quaintness that the area is known for. We stayed in the upper level in their smallest room which was not a problem. As most bnbs in the area the bathrooms are located in the hall. Not my preference but not a big impact on the experience. The rooms are very clean and all towels etc are replaced daily. The breakfast was fine but the meal area is very small. The location is awesome with the trams located right outside. The evening guest get togethers are great and the hosts offering a nice drink and nibbles. Very nice touch.

Room Tip: All of the rooms seem fine. Would recommend a first level room just to avoid the steep stairs.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends