“It's all what you can ask for in a bed and breakfast!”

The Willows Bed and Breakfast Inn
Ranked #10 of 72 San Francisco B&B and Inns
Orlando, Florida
“It's all what you can ask for in a bed and breakfast!”
Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Willows Bed and Breakfast Inn for two nights on Oct 4th and 5th. It was planned last minute 2 weeks before my arrival and I'm glad I made the right choice because my hosts were able to accommodate me without knowing it was the Castro street fair that weekend. Again I appreciate them. Anyways I arrived at the airport and got transportation to the inn. Once you arrive you will see a Vietnamese restaurant next to it and next to it is the small entrance (theres a yellow sign/cover right above it) to the inn. It is hard to miss however if you don't pay attention so keep your eyes open.

After finding the entrance I buzzed in and from there after being granted entrance I went up stairs and there I was greeted by Mark and got my keys. After I put down my carry on I was given a tour of the inn, which everything was neat and very home like. It was very beautiful and maintained. It is the Castro after all. Mark explained that breakfast is served in the mornings and where the location of everything was such and so forth. From there the tour ended and I enjoyed a conversation in the day room with some out of country guests, I did however arrived after happy hour which they do provide. After the conversation I ventured the Castro and SF for the next two days.

The rooms were neat and smelled fine. The rooms do not have a bathroom however but do have shared ones on each floor and every time it used it no one occupied them. The shared bathrooms were also well maintained. The rooms do provide you a bathrobe and fresh new towels for your use. My accommodations since they were last minute I stayed one night in a room with a queen size bed. It included an old tv (you're not there to watch tv) a mini fridge and a sink along with your bathroom items. The 2nd night I stayed in a two bedroom suite which had two queen size beds with an HDTV and a sink and bathroom items. Overall I was happy both nights and slept soundly.

Disclaimer: if you're looking to stay in SF on the cheap with awesome service this is the place. Keep in mind factor in taxes. I was thrown off by how SF charges on taxes. So keep in mind add around 15 % additional depending how long you stay. But this is not the inns fault it's the city and the state. (I've been spoiled by living in FL where taxes are low.) The service is awesome and worth it no matter what the cost.

I was heartbroken for leaving this inn! But I had to go! I recommend coming here again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank maui87a

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 18, 2013

I just returned from a perfect week in San Francisco. I was so happy staying at Willows from the moment I registered with Mark and he showed me around until Mike arranged for my ride to the airport and signed me out. JoJo knew I was an early riser and made sure to have the coffee ready extra early. Jesse was quitely there in the shadows. The staff encouraged me to feel at home and I did. There were opportunities to meet other very nice guests during breakfast and the evening cocktail hour. Great way to relax before an evening out. Everywhere was spotlessly clean. There are plenty of separate toilets and showers, so it was never a problem finding one available. A nice thick bathrobe was provided to make it easy to get around. The location was so great. There were lots of nice restaurants, a bakery, and laundries all within a block or two. Across the street is a major streetcar stop and subway station. A walk to Castro was maybe 10 minutes. It was the most perfect place for me to base my stay. It became the neighborhood I would most want to live in San Francisco if I lived in San Francisco. My room was charming. It was helpful having the sink with good lighting. I felt very at home in my new city thanks to The Willows. I only wish I had selected a back room. My room faced the street with a nice view, but it was too hot during a couple of unseasonably warm days and the noise from the streetcars bothered me. Luckily, they stopped at 12:30am. Next time I'll ask for a room in the back.

Room Tip: Unfortunately, I reserved a front room with a charming bay window and view. Unfortunately, it can g...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank gkny10011
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Recently stayed for 4 nights with my friend. This is a very nice bnb located in the heart of the Castro. The building is typical of its era and retains the charm and quaintness that the area is known for. We stayed in the upper level in their smallest room which was not a problem. As most bnbs in the area the bathrooms are located in the hall. Not my preference but not a big impact on the experience. The rooms are very clean and all towels etc are replaced daily. The breakfast was fine but the meal area is very small. The location is awesome with the trams located right outside. The evening guest get togethers are great and the hosts offering a nice drink and nibbles. Very nice touch.

Room Tip: All of the rooms seem fine. Would recommend a first level room just to avoid the steep stairs.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Darren M
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Me and my girlfriend stayed here this past Saturday and Sunday and simply loved it. It was a great price for a great location. We were most impressed by the breakfast spread. Nothing out of the ordinary, but exactly what you needed/wanted. Also, they had Soy Milk for the coffee which is always a plus.

Will be staying here every time I go to San Fran.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Altoona, Iowa, United States
Reviewed September 19, 2013

My travel buddy and I stayed at here for two weeks. This jewel of a Bed-n-Breakfast is perfectly located for anyone that wants to explore the city, less than a block away from major public transportation. The staff is fantastic, going above and beyond in taking care of our needs from check in to check out. Due to the length of our stay, we were required to change rooms twice. Mike, Mark, JoJo, and Jesse, however, made sure that our moves were quick and easy. The rooms and all of the common areas were spotlessly clean and there always seemed to be a fresh breeze flowing through the hallways and stairways. The 'continental' breakfasts were more than adequate with a variety of breads, spreads, cerials, fresh fruit, coffee, tea, and juices. The afternoon cocktail social provided an excellent opportunity to mingle with the other guests as well as a nice break between the days activities and getting ready our evenings out. The staff is a wealth of information on the area and were able to give advise and directions to most ever place we asked about. I would not only stay at The Willows on future trips, but I highly recommend it as a home away from home.

Room Tip: Rear rooms are quiet but have weak WiFi. However routers are available
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Richard W
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed September 17, 2013

The place is simple and clean. Shared bathroom and restroom . Weak Wifi access in the room. Refrigerator . No hair dryer ; no air conditioner . The place provides guests with bathrobes. It is within easy walking distance from grocery store and coffee place.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Malwina5
Rochechouart, France
Reviewed September 14, 2013

They really were - perfect, that is. Hauling my heavy suitcase up the stairs, being genial and friendly at the evening drinks hour, giving me endless directions and recommendations. I loved staying here, was in a room away from the street and no noise at all, slept very well.
First time in San Francisco from the UK and was a wee bit dazed when I arrived, but felt immediately at home. Excellent transport options just outside and a good choice of restaurants really close by.
Breakfast was brilliant, so much choice and all healthy too. And you could pop along to the kitchen/breakfast room at any time for a drink and a snack.
All very clean and never had to wait for a loo or shower, although it was August and pretty busy.
Would definitely return there if I were in SF again - so much nicer than the boring city centre options.

Room Tip: Chose a room away from the road after reading reviews on here and slept perfectly - no noise.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo