“Great Place to Stay”

The Willows Bed and Breakfast Inn
Ranked #11 of 72 San Francisco B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 17, 2008

The Willows B & B doesnt look much from the outside....but inside is a different story. The first thing you notice is the cleanliness and the attention to detail of the decor.The rooms vary in size but are layed out thoughtfully. If you stay in a room with street views expect a bit of noise but the plus is the view below of all the eye candy. Excellent location to the Castro and fabulous eateries are just across the street. The help yourself breakfast has a range of food the meet everyones requirements and it is a joy to sit around the table and chat to other guest about the night before. The staff are very helpfull and I would recommend The Willows to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BrisbaneDon

Reviewed May 7, 2008

I enjoeyd my stay at the Inn - overall it was very good experience that gave me a taste of living in this great city. The windows of my room faced the busy street - the noise was not a problem for me but I can imagine it can bother more sensitive types. The Inn really feels like nice comfortable house, the owners are very friendly and helpful. Shared bathrooms scare most of Americans, but really guys, it is not a problem at all!. One of the highlights of my stay was happy hour in the evening. Diverse group of guests from all over the world made it quite special. I will come back soon! that is if I will not move to San Francisco for good.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank biomik
Reviewed March 22, 2008

I am a fussy traveller and am difficult to please but this is one of the best places I have stayed at. It is a brilliant location for the castro and for the rest of San Francisco. You even have a safeway on the doorstep and a laundarette opposite. The cocktail evenings are a must. Brilliant place to stay as a lone traveller. Definetly will be stopping again.

Stayed: September 2007
Reviewed November 2, 2007

This is a lovely place to stay on the outskirts of the Castro. You can walk to all the great places in this area. The rooms are well kept and very comfortable. The breakfast is very pleasant and more than adequate. The happy hour held in the guest house is also worth it as an opportunity to meet the other guests who are usually very interesting characters. ;-)

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 16, 2006

I stayed here during the middle of September 2005. When my airport transfer pulled up outside, I must admit - I was mortified as it's directly next to a Chinese restaurant and the entrance is right on the street and looks a little shabby, however, my fears were calmed as soon as I entered. I received a very warm welcome (no, not that kind of a welcome) and had a big double-room at the front of the property which was comfortable. The shared WCs and bathrooms were also clean (I'm quite fussy about that kind of stuff). Breakfasts were good and cocktail hour was a great place to get chatting to the other guests. There was a very friendly crowd there when I was staying, though it's definitely not a meat market (which is both a good thing and a bad thing) and had quite a tranquil atmosphere overall. As for location, this place is great as everything is on your doorstep. One thing to note: there is a very steep set of stairs going from the front door to the guest house so if you have a lot of heavy luggage or can not do stairs, keep that in mind. The staff were friendly and informative on the whole, though one guy there needed to have more of a can-do attitude (when I asked him if he could book a return airport transfer, he told me that taxi firms don't take bookings and that it was best to get one on the street - yeah right! It's best to stand on the street with lots of heavy luggage trying to hail a cab? Since when do cabs not accept bookings? Is this San Francisco in 21st century America or Wales? Did he think I was born yesterday? I look young because Oil of Olay really works but come on! (Am I being a nasty queen?). Aside from that - I would stay here again if I was visiting town on the same budget.

• Stayed: September 2005
4  Thank ahp1979
A TripAdvisor Member
Boston, MA
Reviewed March 16, 2005

A charming home-away-from-home in the heart of the Castro. All the gay attractions of the city are a short walk away. The rooms are cozy and the staff is friendly. Cocktail hour is not to be missed - all the guests are like one big happy family.

You might be travelling on your own, but you're never alone if you stay at The Willows.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 9, 2004

I had the best time here...really friendly, a bit like home from home.
Cocktails with other guys staying at the willows every evening is a great way to meet and chat and pick up! It was so easy to walk to the Castro hang out and have a great time..I recommend it to all my friends who visit..

3  Thank its_beaver