“Yes, we would stay again”

The Willows Bed and Breakfast Inn
Ranked #11 of 72 San Francisco B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 14, 2013

It's hard to think of anything original to say. We stayed at the back of the inn for a week (room 36) and thoroughly enjoyed it. Mike and JoJo couldn't have been more helpful. Everything was spotlessly clean. Never any issue with the shared facilities. Varied breakfast available from about 7:30 until 11:00. Tea, juice and light snacks in the kitchen any time, day or night. The room was spacious and sensibly designed and furnished - lots of room for storing "stuff". Fridge in the room. The t.v. was old but had multiple channels and was adequate: anyway who wants to watch t.v. when visiting San Fran.! We can confirm that the extractor fan from the Jasmine Garden was noisy and did keep running until the wee hours of the morning. We soon got used to it. Perhaps the shower heads could be upgraded to get a better and more efficient flow of water but it was certainly adequate. Would we stay again? Absolutely!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank David B

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Like the other reviews state, this is a great little find in the heart of SF. It's within walking distance to most places (Castro, GG Park, etc) and the guys running it are friendly and helpful. There are only a couple of very (very!) small things which picky guests might not like, namely common bathrooms (though there is a sink in every room) and old-school TVs. But if you come here just to watch TV, something tells me you might be the kind of person who will find fault everywhere. Brekkie is simple but has everything you need to power up for the day (even Vegemite!). Overall, a good place to stay whilst in SF.

Room Tip: Ask for a room off the street for a quieter night.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank rugbymug
Reviewed August 25, 2013

The Willows B&B Inn was the first place we stayed at during our vacation on the West Coast and it got full marks without any reservations. Run with great attention to detail, it offers everything you need. We shared 2 rooms between the five of us (2 parents, 3 teenage children) - both rooms were absolutely spotless and in mint condition, which can also be said about the showers, washrooms and the premises as a whole. We cannot confirm what has been said about the disturbing noise at night in previous reviews. Yes, the entrance looks a bit shabby from the outside, but that first impression is revised the very second you set foot into the place. Of the four guys running the B&B, we met Mike and Mark and they were both lovely and extremely helpful, always there when you needed them but never imposing. We enjoyed the wonderful (fresh fruit, cereal, toast, muffins, bagels, cream cheese jams and many other spreads) breakfast as well as the evening happy hours. Met some very nice folks from other parts of the world. Our children were very welcome and all of us were sad to only spend two nights. We would choose the Willows B&B Inn again any time. Loved the location, too - very lively and cool neighborhood with an interesting recent history (we had to watch the award-winning movie about Harvey Milk again after we left). Should have stayed longer....

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Tea4Five
Reviewed August 18, 2013

After seeing all the 'main attractions' in SF on previous trips, we were keen to just hang out in SF. Willows Inn is perfectly situated; close to Castro, Golden gate park/Haight, Hayes valley, Mission. With public transport it's easy to get to the rest of the city also. The Inn itself was lovely to stay in and we felt very well hosted by the Innkeepers. Breakfast was very good.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 15, 2013

The hosts here do everything they can to make thier guest feel comfrotable, from carrying luggage up staircases, to being sure the coffee is ready earlier than said, to knowing the nearby car parking rules for those who have rental cars.

My room was spacious with everything there, and a sink for washups. It is European style since the
bathrooms and showers are in the hall, but there are either kimonos or bathrobes to use. It's not a problem.

It's centrally located and even the guests are lovely.

Breakfast had a wide array of helathy choices.

H

Room Tip: Room on the street may be too noisy for some, but not for me.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 7, 2013

The Willows Bed and Breakfast Inn overall is a good place to stay in San Francisco. Like what many other travelers have said, the rooms and bathrooms are very clean and the breakfast is well stocked. Breakfast consists of cereals, juices/tea/coffee, fresh/dried/jar/can fruits, pastries, and toast. The hosts are lovely and helpful. There was just one thing that wasn't great during our experience: The Inn is located above a restaurant. The restaurant below keeps their fans running all day until the restaurant is cleaned and closed. The hum of the fans reverberates throughout the back of the Inn making it difficult to sleep. At first I didn't know where the noise was coming from so after checking that all the Inn's bathroom fans were turned off I then called one of the hosts. He informed me that it was the fan from the restaurant below that was causing the noise. So I guess this is a known reoccurring problem? The host then told me that I could go down to the restaurant to speak with them, which made me feel a bit uncomfortable to do (it was after 11 pm, I am in an unfamiliar city, female, and in my PJs. Also, if this was a known problem shouldn't the Inn have the restaurant's telephone number on hand and make the call themselves?) but anyway, I sent my partner instead. The restaurant said that they would be done with the cleaning soon (apparently they can't turn off the fan until the fryers are cooler?). The fan stayed on until about 1:30 am, so I was pretty tired the next morning. The next day, I was asked by the Inn's host (I don't remember his name) what happened. I told him. He said, that he had spoken to the restaurant before and though that this issue had been resolved. He said that he would speak to them again. He apologized but didn't offer any compensation. To be fair, I also wasn't asking for any but it would have been a nice touch considering my partner and I had to do all the leg work on this. The Willows Bed and Breakfast Inn deserves a 4/5 star rating once the fan thing with the restaurant is truly resolved and/or their protocol in dealing with it does not involve a guest in her PJs to solve the problem.

Room Tip: We were on the second floor at the back of the Inn. It was a Queen room that was small but sufficien...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ChoochieBear
Reviewed July 23, 2013

This is my second visit here and my partner and I love it. It is home away from home. Very comfy bed, staff here are very friendly and helpful. The most organised kitchen that I have ever had breakfast in. Fantastic location, Street car, subway buses just outside the door, huge supermarket next door, surrounded by great restaurants and bars. I can't say enough about this place.

• Stayed: July 2013