1,820 results
All reviewsgas fireplacecookie jarunion squarewine and appetizersdressing roomafternoon wineother guestsfresh fruitbreakfast was deliciouswine receptionnob hillcharming hotelpetite aubergehome away from homesmall hotelroom was largebreakfast room
Reviewed January 21, 2016

This is a classic S.F. boutique hotel located blocks from union Square and other sights. If you're into name brand modern commercial, then this is not the place for you. We stayed in a luxury king (Upgraded for us by management before arrival. Thanks!!!) which literally was the size of a small apartment. The entire hotel is decorated in an old school English motif, and has a sizable and quiet guest living room area where a full American breakfast and evening wine and nibbles are served. We even hung out by the fireplace and read books for a while! Their in-house chef fixes scrumptious treats for the evening wine repast, and cookies for a late night snack. In the morning, the included breakfast had quiche, fresh fruit and juices, pastries, oatmeal, cereals, etc., etc. etc. to get you well on your way. Let's just say this wasn't the typical "breakfast buffet", and a super deal considering the high food prices in The City. The staff was exceptionally helpful and are marvelous people. (One of the Housekeeping staff ran over to hold the elevator door just because she saw us coming down the hallway. How courteous!!!) It was obvious that guest service and comfort is an important part of who they are. The prices are very fair for The City, especially considering all of the extra amenities included (Free bottled water and sodas in your room. Whaaat?!). Plan on valet parking, which was very efficient (Although leaving the car and walking/taxi is a San Francisco must do!). This was our first experience with White Swan, but won't be our last. In fact we booked our next three trips on the spot.

Room Tip: Remember that all rooms will have some ambient noise, especially street side.
Reviewed January 21, 2016 via mobile

We have booked this place via hotels.com and have paid in advance. Booking was accepted. Upon our arrival to the hotel in the evening we have been informed we no longer have a room. They told us they have paid for the other hotel and is the same rating as this one. However it is cheaper. They did show us where the hotel is and told us it is easy to walk there as it is quite close by. However they can order a taxi also. We insist on a taxi, as we have heavy suitcases and we we're tired.

When we asked for a refund ie for the price difference, they originally refused claiming this cannot be done. Then when we insist they then say please send the amount that U paid to this email address and we will do so. On the basis that it was the hotel that was wrong on the first place, they have accepted my booking, I have a copy of the payment, they will need to take a copy of the payment. They should not hassle me to do the administration work and hoping I would not claimed. They did ultimately make a copy of my payment . However, to date, I have not heard from them that this has been process.

If paying in full and in advance , booking accepted, does not guarantee a room, then I am not sure whether I can trust this place. No matter how good the service may be. Avoid particularly in festive times.

Stayed: December 2015, traveled as a couple
2  Thank EastmeetsWestAB
Bertrand N, General Manager at White Swan Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2016

Dear EastmeetsWestAB,

We value taking the time to review our hotel and I apologized in the delay in getting closure with your advance reservation via booking.com. I'd welcome the opportunity to speak with you directly to help expedite a satisfactory resolution

Best Regards,
Bertrand Newson

Reviewed January 21, 2016

My wife and I stayed there for three nights in January 2016. The location is convenient and the place has character to spare. The way up is by a manual elevator with a spring-loaded sliding scissor gate, which works! The room was large and comfortable and well appointed. During the day, the four windows shower the room with light. There is no thermostat to find but the heating was just right. We were offered wine and snacks when we arrived (it's there daily between 5pm and 6:30pm) and coffee and tea is available around the clock. We loved the herbal teas available there and thus didn't use the coffee maker in the room. To say that the staff was friendly and efficient has become a cliche, but not in this case. They exceeded all our expectations. The WiFi worked well most of the time, although occasionally it became slow.

Reviewed January 20, 2016

Two blocks down from the top of Knob Hill lies a quiet, little old world of comfort and hospitality. Affordable value with included extras like a great hot morning breakfast buffet and an early evening Appie hour of wine and snacks. Even a wonderful old and likely historic elevator. The staff is friendly, go "out-of-their-way" helpful, the rooms are quiet and charmingly aged and the beds perfectly comfortable. Just a couple of blocks walk to two cable car routes and a few blocks downhill to Union Square. We've been there before and we'll be going back again. But keep the secret or it will be even tougher to get a reservation.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed January 20, 2016

We found the White Swan Inn perfect for our stay. We were 3 women who shared a room with 2 twin beds and a roll-away bed. The room was a good size and besides a bathroom had a large closet/dressing room with a sink and mirror, so it worked out well. The location was great and we loved the breakfast. The staff was extremely friendly and accommodating.I would give it 4.5 if I could and the only reason I didn't give it a 5 was because I wasn't crazy about the decor. But we all said we would definitely stay there again when we return to San Francisco.

• Stayed: January 2016, traveled with friends