“Wonderful Atmosphere”
Review of White Swan Inn

White Swan Inn
Ranked #7 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed March 19, 2013

This was a wonderful place to stay. The staff was very helpful. The room was cozy. We were there before Christmas and there was a beautiful tree and fireplace downstairs. It was very relaxing. Would stay there again in a heartbeat. Access to the cable cars and public transportation was a plus even for someone who never uses public transportation. Walking to Union Square easily accomplished and you can ride the cable car back up the hill. Having to wait for your car to be retrieved from a remote parking facility was the only draw back.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Nitrous74
Write a ReviewReviews (1,767)

Reviewed March 17, 2013

Yes the wallpaper is chintzy, yes the lift is tricky, but I have just found my new favourite SF hotel. I travelled here on what was one of the busiest weekends in SF history, and stupidly left booking a hotel until the last minute. At $USD 880 for 4 nights, White Swan Inn was one of the cheaper options if I wanted to stay around Union Square. What a relief it was to find a warm, friendly reception from staff, a gorgeous big bright room and a comparatively luxurious bathroom. The hotel provides LOTS of little extras - a full cooked breakfast, complimentary bottled water and cans of soft drink in the bar fridge, fresh baked biscuits always available in the foyer, and a happy hour every afternoon. All-in-all this is a quality English B & B transported to SF. I will definitely be back.

Room Tip: As always in noisy SF, try and get a room away from the street.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Barbara R
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We recently stayed the weekend at the White Swan Inn for a wedding in San Francisco. The bride's family recommended the Fairmont Hotel, but I am over of that hotel. Instead we enjoyed a beautiful large quiet room with a king size poster bed, a fireplace, sitting room and small bar area ns refrigerator stocked with complimentary drinks. It was a delightful stay and we invited several wedding guests to tour our room and the hotel to see what they could enjoy for less money than the Fairmont. The vintage elevator is fully certified and functional, such a fun and efficient way to get to our room. We enjoyed the evening wine and appetizers, served in the quaint English library and sitting room downstairs. Hot breakfast includes eggs, bacon or ham, an English side dish every morning, plus all the fresh fruit, pastries, Irish Soda Bread for toast, cereal, yogurts with plenty of milk, hot chocolate, coffee and tea. A delightful unhurried and delicious meal - I went off my diet, just because the pastries are worth it. Guests joined us for breakfast for a most reasonable $10. The staff is helpful, friendly and not stuffy; they allowed us to park in front for a short time, gave us cost effective parking hints and generally assisted our stay in every way. The hotel has a small outdoor terrace, a small exercise room, a conference room, an enclosed patio and beautiful sitting areas. This place is a gem, more personal and an experience itself!! My husband enjoyed himself the whole weekend. We took Uber cars (another must!) everywhere, such a breeze.

Room Tip: The upper floors especially facing the interior terrace are very quiet. We rarely even heard another...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Mel R
Reviewed March 1, 2013

The White Swan has been our favorite hotel for years. Stay there even when business travel would pay for a more expensive hotel. Located on Bush a few blocks down from Union Square. Easy access to everything including cable cars. Rooms are quaint, gas fireplaces, poster beds and refrigerator in every room. Ask for a room on the back if you would like to sleep with the window open. Breakfast and a wine hour included. Super service and parking available. Extremely reasonable rates for a large city.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank John M
Molly C, Manager at White Swan Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2013

Thank you for your feedback, and for choosing us for your visits! We're honored to hear you have returned on multiple occasions. We hope to welcome you again.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

On business. Very close to Union Sq on one side, and really dodgey neighborhood on the other side. $9 cab to Moscone Center

Front Desk - pleasant and helpful staff.
Elevator - (5 story building) is manual - really quaint - you open the 2 sliding metal doors.
Room - Good size room. 4-poster queen bed, high off the floor and very comfortable.
Room has a gas-powered fireplace that looks and feels very nice indeed. Turns on/off with a simple light switch on the wall by the headboard.

Unfortunately, not much else to rave about. The building is old - I took a look at the emergency stairs down, and it scared me. Very narrow, wood encased spiral staircase. In a fire, I would take my chances jumping out of the window before going down those stairs.

My room had no table for 3 days, then one showed up. It looked as if they collected it from the sidewalk - some one's caste off - its old and beat up. Like the chair.

Hoiusekeeping - good.

The bathroom - great water pressure. I wish the shower curtain were wider and they had a curved shower rod to give more room in the narrow tub. Toilet seat is the older round style - not well suited to seated men. Tiny closet is in the bathroom.

There were 2 wall lamps on the wall by the bed headboard - both were rickety and the shade kept falling off one of them.

It's an old building, I get it. Charming perhaps. But not fitted out too well. Poor room lighting, exposed wire on the wall for the thermostat. But for a few days stay, I can live with it.

Finally - the food. Not bad actually. Breakfast was a decent buffet selection. Varied day to day. Afternoon wine and hors d'ouvres was nice too.

Room Tip: Front desk offers free earplugs if street noise bothers you. It was not bad at all.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank JeffM_cs
Molly C, Manager at White Swan Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

Thank you for your kind comments regarding our staff and your stay. We aim to exceed our guests' expectations, and appreciate your time and candid feedback to know where we can continue to concentrate our efforts throughout the inn. We hope you'll try us again on a future visit to San Francisco!

Reviewed February 24, 2013

It was our 2nd time in San Francisco. On our first trip, we stayed in a hotel at the Wharf but this year prices got too expensive so we searched for a new place to stay. I can assure that it was even better because The White Swann is perfectly located, less than 5 minutes walking distance of downtown San Francisco. At our arrival, we were a little bit disappointed by the size of the hall which is very small, than we took the beautiful old elevator to our room, a deluxe king, garden view on the 5th floor and we were very surprised: the room was really big and clear with big windows, beautifully furnished, very Old England style. The bed was very comfortable and we had a fire place and a little refrigerator refilled every day with free soft drinks and water. Plasma TV. Everything was neat and clean despite of the bathtub that was a little bit old but it didn’t matter, everything else was perfect. Front desk staff was helpful and housekeepers did a good job.
We stayed 4 days at the White Swann and we enjoyed our stay a lot. We will certainly go back again and recommend it.

Room Tip: Choose a garden view room, high floor, because the street is quite noisy. Luxury King rooms are a mu...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank isabelle66France
Reviewed February 21, 2013

We booked this hotel for a short trip in San Francisco. I thought the hotel was very nice and we had a good welcome on arrival. The problems came when I went to pay the bill. All seemed well on check out but then I discovered that the hotel had actually billed me for a greater amount than I owed, three times! I contacted the hotel a number of times and didn’t receive an explanation or apology. On return home I e-mailed the hotel directly and called the hotel and left a message with the manager. I have yet to receive a reply.
After 3 weeks I was refunded.
I would not stay at this hotel again and am very disappointed with the service I received.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank LorrieLee32
Pam1975, General Manager at White Swan Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

Thank you for sharing your feedback about your stay at White Swan Inn. I am very sorry to hear about the billing errors that occurred upon your departure from the hotel. I am also sorry it took so long for our team to get back to you with information about the billing. I hope the problem has been fully rectified at this time. Should you need further assistance please call or email us and we will help however possible.