“Wonderful Inn in San Francisco”

Washington Square Inn
Ranked #20 of 72 San Francisco B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 24, 2008

The Washington Square Inn in San Francisco was a great base for our week's stay in San Francisco. The location in North Beach is good for seeing the sights. The small, European style inn is very comfortable with a responsive staff. Morning breakfasts and afternoon wine and cheese were much appreciated. We would definitely recommend the Inn to travelers headed to the Bay area.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Retrievers
There are newer reviews for Washington Square Inn

Reviewed May 22, 2008

My husband & I recently stayed at the WSI; we loved our room (#16) which an associate helped me choose although I actually booked it on the website. I called beforehand to ask which rooms would be quieter, inner courtyard facing rooms & were located on an upper level. Although rooms 7 & 8 have the gorgeous views, we were very pleased with our room. No opportunity to use the fireplace, but it would have been great in cooler weather. We were there right before the heatwave (5/10-5/13), but having the windows open & ceiling fan on provided good air circulation. The bed was super comfortable, flat screen TV could be viewed either from bed or from sitting area with table/chairs. The bathroom was great with a shower/bath combination & a panel type of shower massage spray.
We chose to have breakfast in the dining area 1 day & in our room 2 days & it was more than adequate. I was up VERY early due to east coast time & really enjoyed going down for coffee/tea & some early morning quiet time where I was able to meet the night shift person working the desk (hello to Jamal & Frederick!) & borrow a laptop to check my e-mail.
Evening time wine/appetizer time was really great to meet other travelers. We had some very nice conversations with Lynn & Guy from Louisiana & Doug & Vicki from London.
Other staff members were equally helpful & warm - Joti, & especially Shabir (? spelling) & Alexander. The owners, Dan & Maria, were really wonderful as well, & gave us a great dining recommendation, Ideale.
We stayed at 2 other locations on our visit to the SF/Carmel area & I have to say that overall, the staff at the WSI was the most warm & inviting we met; we will definitely return on subsequent visits & will highly recommend to family & friends (wish we were back there now!).

Stayed: May 2008
1  Thank mouseRD
Reviewed May 18, 2008

My wife and I just stayed at the The Washington Square Inn (WSI) for our 20th anniversary. We enjoyed our stay in "The City" in spite of record high temps for the week.
The WSI staff was very helpful and friendly, and the Inn was well kept.
Our only disappointment was that the Inn's website does not make mention of the location of the rooms. Unbeknownst to us, we booked a room that was on the first floor (street level) with a window to the sidewalk. This was listed as a Superior room (room#1) with views of the park and cathedral.
It was however noisy because of being at street level, and next to the lobby. Also, because of the high temperatures (and no AC in the room), we had to keep the window open at night which didn't help with the noise (it was also noisy with the window closed-but less so). We did ask at check-in if another room was available, but were informed that they were fully booked.
So be aware of the room locations when booking, their website makes no mention of which floor they are on (hint: the "teen" numbered rooms are on the 2nd floor).

The continental breakfast was about a 7+ on a 10 scale.

We would stay again, but now know which rooms to choose.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank coastalbg
washsquare, owner at Washington Square Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2008

We do apologize that you were not aware that room 1 is located on the lobby floor and thank you for informing us that this was not mentioned on our website. We have now added this to room 1 information and thank you for your review, it really does help us to have our guests inform us of details we might have overlooked. We are always striving to improve all aspects of our Inn and without our guests input this would not be as easily accomplished.

Reviewed April 29, 2008

We stayed here for 2 nights as a stopover on our way to New Zealand - because it was an American city we both wanted to visit.
The hotel is quaint, individual, and the service was second to none. The hotel room itself was a tinsey bit more shabby than I'd expected from the website, but my husband hadn't seen the website and was more than satisfied with it. The bed was the most comfortable of our 3 week trip!
In the evening, there is complimentary wine, cheese and biscuits. Breakfast-wise, you chose the night before from a printed list pushed under the bedroom door, and you chose whether to eat communally at the large table in the hall or it could be delivered to your room.
One of the guide books in the room recommended a day's itinerary that actually started in Washington Square, and we were so very pleased that we followed it. I will post this itinerary separately, but you are welcome to contact me.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ardent_traveller_7
Reviewed April 20, 2008

Our stay at Washington Square Inn was terrific. It was very much like the hotels/inns in which we stayed while on vacations in Europe. Our room with a king size bed was clean and of comfortable size, not large but adequate. The room's furnishings were a nice blend of useful antiques. The bed and bath linens were lush and the flat screen TV was nice, though barely used.

A hearty breakfast was awaiting us each morning, as well as wine and cheese every afternoon.

I do not think our teenage daughters would have appreciated the ambience and quietness the Washington Square provided us. It does seem more for adults. We primarily encountered couples and just a few individuals who were guests there.

We were within walking distance of Fishermen's Wharf, Pier 39, China Town, and many public transportation options (including the legendary cable cars).

We wandered about, in the evenings, looking for places the "locals" go for dinner and refreshments and found many within a few blocks of the Inn. We never felt wary of walking within those few blocks in the evenings.

I would return to the Washington Square Inn and will definitely recommend it to friends.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jmsealre
Reviewed April 16, 2008

Excellent hotel and staff. Room Nine is on the smallish side but for one person it was just great. Comfortable bed and lovely décor, flat screen TV, mineral water, toiletries, 24 hour coffee downstairs and friendly and helpful staff.

As I was travelling on my own and am a little shy, I booked this hotel to see if I could meet people at breakfast and at the winetasting. My first breakfast I ate alone and thought I had made a mistake. In the evening I met some wonderful people and the rest of the breakfasts enabled me to meet a variety of friendly people. The breakfasts were good; there was cereal, fresh fruit, muffins, toast and the wine tasting and nibbles are a nice touch.

I found the staff helpful, especially when it came to direction and they booked me a taxi for the airport and I ended up in a reasonably priced sedan.

The area is central and I walked everywhere. There are plenty of places to eat just outside the door, a great bookstore and supermarket just down the road.

Tip for Room 9 – I found the water in the shower took ages to warm up but if you ran the tap in the sink first, it warmed up straightaway.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled solo
3  Thank Susie M
Reviewed April 16, 2008

We've just returned from SanFrancisco to visit my sister for a few days and I must say that I have changed my idea of the B&B forever ! My husband and I stayed at the Washington Square Inn, in the heart of the North Beach area,perfect neighborhood-feel, with a park accross the street and a million restaurants within walking distance...the rooms are as beautiful as they looked on line and the staff is the nicest and most helpful that I have ever met. BUT the BEST thing about the Inn is that you have the choice of eating breakfast in the dinning area downstairs OR Philip will bring a tray to your room !!! Each night you fill out a breakfast-card with your choices and the time you would like to eat and where...I absolutely loved it...I cannot wait to go back...I will never stay anywhere else in San Francisco again !

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple