“Classic Charm - Nice Staff”
Review of Queen Anne Hotel

Queen Anne Hotel
Ranked #81 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed July 24, 2010

My wife and I stayed here for four days after driving up from LA. It was my second trip to San Fran and by far my favourite. The Hotel is clean and welcoming. It has that classic charm you want from a historic hotel. Lets be straight - its not brand new, there are some minor signs of wear (paint peeling and scuffed tiles) but its still a very nice place to be. Warm in the cold days with open fires and heating throughout the old world furniture and great staff. All very good especially if you get it for a good price! Don't pay four star prices and you will be very pleased. I didn't see any cooling so it may be warm in the hotter days but I suspect thats normal for this style of place in San Fran. One issue was the internet didn't work in our room - had to sit in the hallway to get wireless...

Location is great, far enough back from the soup kitchens and close to the beautiful parts of San Francisco.

If I go back, I would stay there again...

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Queen Anne Hotel

Reviewed July 2, 2010

I brought my Girl Scout troop to this hotel on a recent trip to San Francisco. From our first interaction with the front desk, excellent customer service was on display.

We arrived at about 11am - way before check in time yet 5 of our 6 rooms were already ready for us and check in was a breeze.

After our exploration of the city the first day we came back for dinner and we were able to use their dining room to eat as a group rather than having the girls eat separately in the rooms. After dinner, Roberto, the concierge was there to help me clean up while the girls went up to bed.

The next morning we had to be out early for a planned event - so early that breakfast was not yet being served yet the hotel staff opened up the breakfast room and insured that the girls had a nice breakfast before they left the hotel.

Any time anyone in the group needed assistance, the staff was there to help - with a smile.

The rooms have a wonderful victorian charm and are very clean and comfortable.

I will stay here whenever I am in San Francisco and I have recommended it to all of my friends!

• Stayed: June 2010
Reviewed June 30, 2010

A True San Francisco Experience

Having traveled to San Francisco several times, and having stayed at many mainstream hotels, I decided this time to try something off the beaten path… the renowned Queen Anne Hotel. Built over one hundred years ago, the mysteries of this old Victorian building, once a school for girls, had captivated my curiosity and imagination.

The Queen Anne lived up to and surpassed my every expectation. Having been caught up in the cold and shifting winds of the city, I knew immediately I was in for a treat when I first stepped into their lobby. Perhaps it was the grand red velvet curtains, the amazing period pieces everywhere or warmth emanating from its fireplaces, this place was seeping with atmosphere.

Loaded with luggage and questions, the woman at the front desk was equally helpful and friendly. She told me a little bit about the history of the building and before sending me up to my room, invited me to join other guests in the parlor area for afternoon sherry and cookies. It almost felt like I was enrolling in a semester of one of San Francisco’s most fascinating chapters in history.

A turn of the door knob to my room, revealed even more surprises. Incredible antiques and treasures were tastefully laid out everywhere… and to my delight, two additional chairs at the bay windows, with incredible views of the city. Having traveled all day I was also thrilled to discover that despite its authenticity to the period, my room still had a large flat screen TV, a DVD player, free Internet, a remodeled bathroom and even a docking station for my Ipod!

My days at the Queen Anne proved to be an incredible experience. With the same kindness that Miss Mary Lakes, the original headmistress, must have shown her students, the hotel still provides guests with a wonderful breakfast and even free morning transportation to their favorite tourist spots!... And even after long days of exploring my favorite city, I couldn’t help myself but wander the halls of this incredible place, to uncover all its hidden gems and treasures.

There is not enough I can say about this place. If you are looking for a true and unforgettable San Francisco experience, then the Queen Anne is the place for you.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Johnnieb30
Reviewed June 28, 2010

I had such high hopes for the Queen Ann. I was traveling to a new city each night on business, and lucky for me, my company made reservations at some really amazing B&Bs!

I was looking forward to the last night on my mystery tour that ended at the Queen Ann in San Francisco. Especially since it came recommended, and, high off my stay at the Amber House in Sacramento, I was ready for a wonderful stay in one of my favorite cities.

To be honest, I have two minds about my brief experience at the Queen Ann, and hesitated to write a negative review. On one hand, for those into pseudo-Victorian style and paranormal experiences, the Queen Ann is probably everything they hoped for.

On the other, overwrought, poorly maintained original period furniture, deeply unappealing décor and rooms that seem to have a fine film of dinginess, regardless of their actual cleanliness, are not what I had hoped for.

The first room I checked into was eaten alive by a leviathan of a dusty, beat up canopy bed. After spending a few moments in the space, I called the front desk to switch. They were accommodating, and I moved myself to another room down the hall, with the same red carpet, unsettling cherub murals and Disney’s Haunted Mansion vibe. There was even a creepy statue of a little boy on the mantle that I hid in the armoire.

However, I hated it less, and since I was only in town for one night, chose to stick it out. Until I took a shower. The curtain had that powerful, bile raising, musty, old shower curtain smell. Nonetheless, I climbed in (which I deeply regret). With only an hour and a half until my meeting, I didn’t have time to mess around.

As I looked up to rinse my hair, I was faced with a large patch of flaking, rust-red tinged paint surrounding a fire sprinkler jutting out of a black hole. I couldn’t get out of the shower fast enough. Reaching for a towel, I saw dark stains on almost all of them. They had been washed, but remained marked.

Disgusted, I checked the bed sheets, which were a suspicious ashy beige color. Each pillow had coffee colored stains on it. I looked more closely at the room, and discovering all kinds of nastiness, decided I was moving. I called another hotel up the street (The Majestic) and beat it.

The front desk was understanding, commenting that not everyone was into old. Which is true, but I have stayed in many old B&Bs, especially in Ireland and Italy…even “haunted” ones with 1500s furniture. It’s not old that bothers me, it’s the sense that nothing is really clean.

So, if you are into re-enactment, or ghost tours (I checked after I left, and this place is on it) then the Queen Ann is for you. If you are hoping for a pleasant, gracious, clean B&B where you feel well looked after…not so much.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Gtmochi
QueenAnneHotel, Director of Sales at Queen Anne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2010

Please accept our regrets Gtmochi that you did not find the Queen Anne to your liking. I will look into everything you mentioned and see that the condition of things is meeting or exceeding our high quality standards.

Reviewed June 18, 2010

We had a wonderful stay at the Queen Anne hotel in San Francisco. It was a great way to celebrate my husband's 50th birthday. The location was perfect/central to just about anything yo umight want to experience in the city. The decor is fabulous and the staff was professional and very helpful. They also offer very nice perks for visitors. If we had any concerns, it would have been with the parking, but even that ended up okay! Overall, we would give the Queen Anne an excellent mark for the price and we would definately stay there again!!!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple

Thank you CopieSue. We're delighted that you enjoyed your stay and Happy 50th Birthday to your husband.

Reviewed May 17, 2010

Walked into this beautifully decorated victorian inn after a coast to coast flight. The staff were extremely pleasant and helpful. There was an aroma within the building that later, while walking the streets of SF, I noticed again. It was the smell of jasmine. Appreciating antiques, this a lovely place to be. It years past, the Queen Anne had been a girls boarding school, you could almost picture the girls running through the halls. Apparently there is a resident ghost? : ) We asked for a room on the back side of the building. It was lovely and quiet, room was fine, bathroom clean. The breakfast was very nice with sausages and hardboiled eggs added to the usual fair of toast, fruit, cereal, etc. Location was good and walking to the waterfront took 20-30 minutes. My husband and I both liked this Inn and would stay there again.

Reviewed May 14, 2010

My wife and I were in San Francisco for a short getaway, to visit remodeled attractions in Golden Gate Park and have some great meals.

This was our first visit to the Queen Anne Hotel and we loved the charming decor and very friendly service. The room was very quiet and comfortable with a great view. The decor is very victorian but with all the comforts of present-day technology. Each day the hotel provided complimentary transportation to our initial destination.

The hotel, although in a historic building, is well-kept and very clean. The complimentary breakfast has good variety but is not fancy.

We will definitely stay here again.