“What a wonderful B&B”

Ranked #80 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
California
“What a wonderful B&B”
Reviewed July 12, 2009

My wife and I stayed at Queen Anne one night on business. It is in Japan town. Quiet area, clean part of the city. There are other hotels on the same street, though I am glad I stayed here. Down the road from a Catholic school and Buddhist Church of America offices. It is about a 3-4 block walk from bus routes. You can catch the trolley not far from there or they have a limo you can get in the AM to go to Fisherman's Warf. If you want to save money you can walk about that distance to a Good Foods Grocery store and get some fancy deli to bring back to your room. The hotel parking is right across the street and is $14. They give you a ticket to put in your window. You must let them know when you check in that you need the parking, spaces are limited. There is also on street city parking that is free during evening, but you must be out of the spaces by a certain time if on the street. The hotel has a little bit of an old building smell to it, but that can be expected of a historic place. This is probably the only "complaint" I have. The staff was very cordial and helpful. The decor in the hotel is fascinating if you like victorian, which I do. Very elegant. We stayed in room 206 which had 2 queens and a fire place. Fire place was nice. Had one of those logs that you light and it lasted for 3 hours. There was no air conditioning, but that was not needed this time of year as San Fran gets quite cold in July at night. We opened one of the windows and turned on the heater and had a comfortable sleep. Room was very clean. The small bathroom had nice soaps, shampoo, etc. The beds were very comfortable, a little soft and definately not like the hard ones you find in some places. Check in and out was a snap. Of course the San Fran hotel and parking taxes will get you, so be ready for them. We were not able to get breakfast, which starts at 7 am, as we had to be somewhere at that time, but I am sure it was very nice. Area was quiet during the night. So, if you want a unique experience I would go with the Queen Ann. I am so glad we went there instead of your basic hotel. I am posting their address on my work place bulletin board in case my work mates want to spend a day or so in San Fran. Finally, it does have an elevator...through I liked going the stairs to see the paintaings on the walls. It was a great value for my pocket book and a place I will always recommend. Chuck Boardman

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Turkish first
Chester UK
Reviewed July 7, 2009

The hotel provided us with a comfortable stay in a quiet environment. It is out of the centre of the city but within 10 minutes walk of Fillmore Street and access to all key bus routes. (Plus parking iff you need it.) The staff were very helpful and knowledgeable and the hotel provides a complimentary limousine service 3 times each morning for departures. Also included is the "continental" breakfast, late afternoon biscuits and sherry, and a regular supply of hot water for tea/coffee 24/7.
The rooms truly are furnished with old furniture and very comfortable. Our only complaint was a lack of coathangers!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
San Diego
Reviewed June 18, 2009

Upon arriving at the Queen Anne, I was handed a glass of Sherry and a cookie. "Welcome!" a friendly staff member exclaimed. And so began our first moments of celebrating our 10 year wedding anniversary. We stayed in room 410, which used to be the office of Ms. Mary Lake...a previous proprietor who ran a girls school of this charming Victorian Hotel. As you walk through the halls, you get a real feel for what it must have been like at the turn of the century. But all of the important amenities are state of the art. Our bathroom was huge and even had a bidet! Everything was spotless and cozy. The bed was extremely comfortable and we had a great view of the Pacific Heights Neighborhood. The staff gave us excellent advice on local restaurants and cafes. We rented a car but we were able to walk everywhere. We also had wireless internet throughout the hotel. My favorite part of the Queen Anne was their lobby. There were two glowing fireplaces, quaint sofas, old clocks and hot tea and coffee at all times. My first day, I sauntered over to the shiny Yamaha Grand piano and pressed one of the keys. I am a piano teacher and so I asked permission to give the instrument a try. I then sat at the piano, played my favorite Beethoven and Chopin and absorbed the historic ambiance of The Queen Anne.

Our lodging added to our experience in San Francisco. I will stay there again for sure.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank howardthesnail
LA, CA
Reviewed May 20, 2009

My husband and I just spent 4 great nights at The Queen Anne Hotel after reading other guest reviews while looking for a hotel that was clean, affordable, and comfortable in a convenient location in San Francisco. The decor and wonderful maintenance of the hotel will take you back in time from the moment you step through the door and the front desk staff will make you feel like you're a guest in a private home. Enjoying the free coffee and tea offered throughout the day in one of the two sitting areas is a must! We never got up early enough to try the continental breakfast though.

Parking is super convenient located just across the street for a rate of $14 a day which is added to your overall stay. If you've never been to SF before, please be assured that $14 is a great price for parking considering the limited availability of street parking all around town and the possibility of paying more if you get towed or get a parking ticket. We stayed at a chain hotel in San Francisco last year that charged $26 per day.

If you don't have a car, a bus line runs right in front of the hotel and is very quiet and convenient to get around. We had a room facing Sutter and were never bothered by any noise. You can also go for a quick walk to Japantown or the Fillmore area for meals and great shopping. The hotel is located in the Pacific Heights area located just west of Van Ness.

We stayed in a moderate queen to save a little money and were pleasantly surprised at how roomy it was for the price and the wonderful decor. The staff was extremely helpful and fast with any request we had particularly Bonnie at the front desk. Unless you are super picky, you will will not be disappointed if you stay at this hotel. We will definitely stay here again next time we're in the area!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Secoya9
west midlands
Reviewed April 21, 2009

first stayed here 10 years ago and although had a very dark dingy room on our return to san fran with my parents decided to stay there again as a change from the bland chains .
check in was pretty smooth and helpful we met the concierge here we thought it was matt ? but thinking on now sure it was ED , anyway he had only been there a few years tall young guy , he was great very personable and helpful without being to over the top immediatly put my elderly parents at ease and this helped them to settle , out of the 5 hotels we had stayed at on our trip they said the queen anne was one of the fanourites felt very homely and they could relax and enjoy , the concierge is an assett to this hotel .
rooms ; both rooms were mod kings both spacious with what looked like new carpets and curtains , mattresses too looked new and very comfy . both well appointed with period furniture parents a little dark as at back of hotel but really nice newly fitted bathroom .
it was nice suprise to see they still serve comp tea /coffee 24 hrs , and sherry and cookies every afternoon the cookies are better than they used to be and nice to sit in the lovely lounge having a chance to chat to other guests .

also free comp breakfast the usual fare cereal ,juice ,toast ,fruit but nevertheless its free and helps to start the day and saves a few cents on going out .

we enjoyed our visit here and in such an old building with lots of history and nooks and crannys must be hard to keep it up to 21st century standards however it seems they work hard to keep the rooms up to standard and fresh looking next time i am in sanfrancisco i will be stayin here

• Stayed April 2009
1 Thank Robbie/stourbridge
California
Reviewed March 6, 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Queen Anne and got a great rate. The staff was very nice. The room was great. We had reserved a very small room and they upgraded us at no charge without me asking. The breakfast in the morning was good enough for me with cereal, toast, and juice. The furniture is nice and old and the lobby makes you wish you lived in an earlier era. My wife and I really liked the place. Also, the room was very quiet. I would definitely stay here again. One problem: Parking. They do have a lot across the street. However, there was no way I was going to park a nice luxury car there. I was almost guaranteed to get the doors banged since the spaces are miniscule. I parked in a garage at Bush and Polk streets which is about ½ mile from the hotel. You can grab a cab back. You could walk but I was told that Bush and Polk was not a good place to walk at night. I am sure there are other garages nearby that would be a better place to leave your car. When we are in San Francisco we always park the car and walk or take cabs. It is much less frustrating and not all that expensive.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TravelDonCA
Austin, Texas
Reviewed February 8, 2009

This beautifully appointed hotel is located in Japantown (I didn't know there was such a place before this trip!). The entire hotel is full of antiques but is not stuffy (or smelly) at all. The lobby has 2 fireplaces that warm up the evening air. The rooms were clean and very quiet. The concierge was extremely helpful both before the trip (in planning our stay) and each day.

The continental breakfast was decent but not outstanding. However, we had so much other good food in San Francisco that breakfast was sort of an afterthought.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)