“This B & B has history!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Queen Anne Hotel

Queen Anne Hotel
Ranked #84 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
Camrose, Canada
“This B & B has history!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2011

The staff were outstanding to our needs. The room although small was furnished with old antique furniture. The bed was clean & very comfortable. We enjoyed the sherry & cookies each night and sitting in the lavish old parlors....you felt like royals!
Breakfast consisted of cereals, pastries, bread & bagels, fruit, juice & coffee, hard boiled eggs & sausage. Free wi-fi. If you don't have a laptop or notebook there was a computer downstairs that you could use with a printer for no extra cost.
The hotel booked our tours for us & we were very happy with their choices.
Parking was $15 plus tax but that is not unreasonable for San Francisco & just across the street.

2 Thank Liz730053

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Turkish first
Fort Myers, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2011

After staying at another neighborhood hotel on previous trips to the city, I was pleasantly surprised at the Queen Anne. Older property but well maintained, nice staff, good breakfast, clean, spacious room.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Gogi0418
Edmonton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2011

This was my first time to San Francisco, I didn't know anything about the city, where to stay etc and found a great deal for this hotel through Expedia. I knew I did not want your standard generic hotel, and I knew that I didn't want to spend a lot of money on a hotel because I knew I would only be there to sleep. - And that is exactly what I got; hence why I can't complain.

Location - It wasn't near, nor far from anything. There weren't many resturants or shops right around the hotel, BUT we were literally 5-10 minutes from all the tourist destinations we wanted to see. So that worked out.
Staff - Very nice and helpful. The concierge lady ( I cant remember her name) was so helpful to us, they give you a map at the beginning of your stay and she showed us bus routes to get to places, where the good restuarents are etc. We used the map to get everywhere!! it was the best thing for our navigation. The breakfast is really short, its only 7 - 9 so we only made it once. And its a very basic breakfast but still good. They also have snacks in the late afternoon which was great.
Hotel itself - the entrance, and main floor is so pretty. All antique furniture, the rich reds, the hotel even had the antique smell! But you can tell work needs to be done - paint is peeling in some areas, walls are chipped etc. Our room was very small, we walked through the door right into our bed, but it had a cozy little wood burning fireplace and a bay window which was cute. The furniture is nice, again just a little run down. Which is sorta to be expected in a antique hotel. Our bathroom was pretty small, no counter space and the shower was so narrow. Our room was on the second floor, in a corner suite. Looking at the fire exit map, our room looked to be the smallest, so there may be other options in terms of space. We also heard nothing but road noise and construction because we were so close to ground level - then again you will probably hear construction anywhere in San Francisco so it didn't bother us too much.

Overall - I probably would go back, because it was a good price, the people were very nice and now that we feel we know the city better - getting around to restaurants and shops will be easier for us. Like I said - we were only there to sleep so we weren't overly picky to begin with.

1 Thank SarahhEdmonton
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2011

What a fantastic hotel and its proprietors! We were treated so nicely by the front desk managers and the concierges, Rita and Roberto. We were initally in a standard queen room but upgraded to a suite after returning form our Yosemite trip. The suite was romantic and was worth the extra money. The Queen Anne is located in a quite neighborhood sheltered from the hustle and bustle of the touristy areas. The victorian decor in combination with the outstanding service puts this hotel on the top of our list.

Room Tip: 404 is a very nice suite. 414 is a large standard room within the turret, 412 is a large standard ro...
2 Thank Mary S
USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2011

Our stay at the Queen Anne hotel was a great experience. We usually prefer modern hotel's but since our favorite hotel in San Francisco was booked we opted for something different. We were surprisingly delighted with the Hotel and the service. the rooms were very comfortable and well decorated. I was pleased to see that the bathrooms were modernized in good taste. The location was not bad if you like to walk, its about a 40 minute walk downhill to Fisherman's wharf which we did and on our way back took the "muni" #47 or # 49 which leaves you a short distance from the hotel. There are good restaurant within walking distance. We stayed with my parents I think it's a hotel that adults would enjoy it's beauty more than children. The front desk staff was very nice and helpful. We definitely would go back to this hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank mardel65
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2011

This hotel was as others have written. Restored Victorian, free breakfast, free Internet and pc in lobby, cookies and sherry in the afternoon. They may have free coffee and tea all day--I'm not sure, but it was there when I went for some. One thing I was not aware of is that they offer free car service in the morning that will take you within the city. There are 3 sign up times. Check at the front desk.

Drawback for me was noise at night. The rooms face a large stairwell with common areas. Since it is an old place, it is pretty creaky and I heard people on the stairs at night along with childen playing in the area. Some creaky plumbing too.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Devon11
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2011

I will admit that when I first walked in, I wondered what the heck was going on here. Due to the time of year (around Thanksgiving) every surface was covered in Christmas decorations - very old fashioned ones. It was...like nowhere I had ever stayed before. Then I decided to just go with it, and now I can't imagine staying in a cold, sterile hotel like a Marriott or Hilton when I can spend my time in San Fran at the Queen Ann! Mysister loved it at first sight, and we spent an afternoon exploring each floor for its individual treasures - LOL, I think other guests thought we were odd too.

The staff are extremely helpful, and more than happy to have a chat when it is quiet. The rooms are reasonably well-sized and the beds are comfortable. The bathroom was spotless and the water pressure great. Their tea, coffee, sherry and cookies in the afternoons are lovely, especially if you find yourself a chair by the fire and it's cold outside... The whole place smelled like hot apple pie and cinnamon - it made us hungry every time we walked in! Breakfast was basic, but certainly enough for our needs. They also provide a free car service within the city - and the driver is both friendly and professional.

Restaurants and buses are about two blocks down the hill (unfortunately that is UP hill to come back), and they go straight down to the Fisherman's Wharf area.

Our only issue was with the lift - it was verrrrry slow (we were on the top floor) and actually broke down with us in it! Luckily, it had jammed only a foot below the floor level, so we were able to get out and come down the stairs. The staff apologised even though it wasn't their fault (we might have pressed one too many buttons when we got in - it didn't like it). This was a tiny blip on an otherwise fantastic - and memorable - stay.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends