“Nice place to stay.”

Ranked #14 of 72 San Francisco B&B and Inns
Belen, New Mexico
“Nice place to stay.”
Reviewed July 28, 2009

This was a very nice place to stay. We read some negative reviews and it made us apprehensive about staying here. But we stayed here for a week, and have no idea what those people are talking about. The staff were attentive and the room was acceptable. We have no complaints.

We stayed in Room 16 on the 4th floor. It was a very comfortable room, clean with nice furnishings; a comfortable queen bed, a dresser with mirror, two comfy reading chairs and a table, a functional bathroom, and a modern TV mounted on a fancy swing-out arm. Very tidy room with eveything we needed.

However, there are two items to point out. The issue of street noise is accurate, but this is San Francisco. This problem was easily solved by sleeping with earplugs. We slept great and never heard a thing.

The other possible concern is location. It is on the hill and requires that you are in relatively good shape. We are both in our 40's and love to walk, so we had no problem with this. We walk all day and reward ourselves by eating at all the fantastic restaurants. 10-minute walk to Union Square. 15-minute walk to Chinatown. 25-minute walk to Fisherman's Warf. If you need to, walk up Mason just one street and you will easily catch a cab in front of the big hotels.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
PA
Reviewed August 27, 2008

My wife and I stayed in one of the minisuites for the weekend couldnt have asked for a nicer stay. The two rooms were more than enough and warmly decorated. The conceirge/attendent was full of useful information friendly and helpful. There was quite a bit of traffic and street noise, our room was on the corner, but this wouldn't stop us from staying there again.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Norfolk, VA
Reviewed August 18, 2008

This hotel is a great inn for the price as it is conveniently located on the cable car line and just a few blocks from Union Square while being moderately priced for the area. However, the air conditioining in the rooms didn't work making open windows a necessity. I love the fresh air, but being located on a major street this made for a lot of noise. Overall the inn was clean, our room was a decent size, and the continental breakfast in the morning (though nothing notable) was sufficient. The shower was a little small because it was an old style claw-foot type tub with a hanging shower curtain, but overall the only major complaint was the noise which ruined our sleep. Unfortunatley none of the inside rooms were available which may have solved that problem, so make sure you ask for that!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — noise level
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
McLean, Virginia
Reviewed July 25, 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a week of vacation. My grandparents had traded their timeshare for us so this was pretty much our only choice. The room was ok. It was old fashioned and a bit mis-matchy. We had a studio room which had a bed, an armoir, two chairs, a tiny table and a little tv on a stand in the corner. From the bed, the metal footboard blocked views of the tv, but wasn't super bad. Everything seemed clean. Just a little musty (maybe from the old furniture). We arrived during a heat wave so it was a bit warm. No air conditioner but the windows were open a bit when we arrived. One window was stuck shut and another wouldn't stay open, the third was fine. There wasn't really much room to unpack our bags so we left ours on the floor. The bathroom has a tiny shelf for your stuff, so I kept my toiletries on the floor there as well. It would have been nice to have some useful furniture for such things. We thought the desk attendants were friendly, although they couldn't answer many of our questions about what was in the area as far as good restaurants, etc. The only problem was that we started getting bitten while sleeping. They may have been bed bug bites although we didn't see anything, but we continued to get a couple every night or two. I finally told a lady downstairs about it and was trying to be discreet because there were other customers down there, and she seemed to understand what I meant, but when we got back later on, it just smelled like someone sprayed Lysol in the room. So that was a disappointment. I meant to write my review as soon as I got back from my trip but forgot. Today, looking at the lingering discoloration from my bug bites from a whole month ago, I wanted to put it out there that room 3 may cause problems for other travelers.

• Liked — Convenient to walk to public transportation and tourist destinations
  • Disliked — Getting bug bites while sleeping
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mella22101
Maricopa, Az
Reviewed June 18, 2008

My husband and I have just returned from a one week stay here and we both thought it was a great place to stay. We stayed there through our condo exchange and were so pleased with the Nob Hill Inn. I felt like I was back visiting my grandmother's house. The Inn was beautifully furnished and very clean and the service was so friendly. The lobby was beautiful from the dining room and living room with fireplace to the sitting room opening to the front. There was an old fashioned elevator to take us up with our luggage but after that we walked the three flights to our cozy room. We stayed in the Nob Hill studio which took my breath away when we walked in to it. The claw foot tub with shower in the bathroom was just charming! There was a sitting area in the bay window area over looking a rather busy street which would be the only thing I would warn others about. The noise didn't really bother us, but it was there as the cars had to really gun it to get up the outrageously steep hill after the light changed. We also heard the clang of the cable cars as they went by on the street at the top of the hill. Also Grace Cathedral chimed often. All of this I found lovely! There was complimentary tea and sherry in the afternoon but we were never there for that. The continental breakfast cost $7.49 but we found a great old NY style restaurant that we went to instead. The front desk would have booked tours for us but we had already done that from home. They did tell us what areas we should see and which to stay away from. When I asked for an iron and ironing board, one was brought up to our room promptly. We found that we were very centrally located to all the sights and buses and cable cars make it a cinch to get around! This was such a lovely place to stay! We didn't see any children while we were there though. I think it is geared more towards mature adults. I would highly recommend the Nob Hill Inn for your visit to San Francisco.

• Liked — The quaint charm
  • Disliked — Just a tad noisy outside our uphill window
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Right where I want to be
Reviewed March 22, 2008

This is a lovely location which is conveniently located close to both a north/south and an east/west cable car line. It is a reasonable walk (1 1/2 miles) to Fisherman's Wharf, and less than a mile to Union Square and all the hustle and bustle of Market Street and Powell. Chinatown is just a few short blocks away.

The bed was comfortable, the claw foot tub was a dream to soak in, and our room was exceptionally quiet. We were on the fourth floor, so no one was above us. The maid's closet was on one side, and a hallway leading only to an emergency exit was on the other. We were on the inside of the building, so we didn't get any street noise. It did seem, though, that rooms on the street sides would have provided a very different experience.

When people say the rooms are small...Believe them! We could stand in the middle of our room at its narrowest point and touch the walls on both sides. When we arrived at 2:00 a.m. after multiple flight delays, we were gently scolded and made to feel like two high school kids who broke curfew. When we got up to our room, I nearly cried, as I could barely fit both of us and our three suitcases in the door. I HAD to unpack before going to bed just to have room to move around.

In fairness, though, we had been warned that the rooms were small. What we hadn't been told, though, is that there would be almost nowhere to put our belongings.The room had a chest with three small drawers, a 2 foot long bar to hang clothing on one wall with a shelf above it, and two 18"x3" shelves in the bathroom. That's it. Since we were staying for a full week, we had quite a bit of "stuff" with us. We ended up with our things sitting on every surface, the exposed hanging/folded clothes driving us nuts, and things shoved into every nook and cranny. It left us feeling disheveled and disorganized. These problems would have been easily solved...put a taller chest in with a couple more drawers. Instead of a 12" square table for a night stand, put in a nightstand with a couple of drawers. What about an armoire or freestanding wardrobe instead of an exposed hanging rack? I could have lived with small, but I don't do well with clutter.

We also found the front desk personnel friendly, but not helpful. There is NO internet access, and when we asked for a location of an Internet cafe, we were told only an intersection. We had to ask five different people before one of them could tell us a name. Since it was a bagel shop, we would never have figured it out on our own. We received similarly "helpful" advice every time we asked a question.

We would not stay here again given a choice--and there are many, many choices. It is a charming place, but the charm gets lost under the frustration.

• Liked — Location.
  • Disliked — Nowhere to put things away.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Cookin4Love
Greenville NC
Reviewed October 29, 2007

My fiance and myself stayed at the Nob Hill Inn for a week Oct 12-19th. We had a great stay and every one at the hotel was very helpful
in recomending and assisting in helping us get around the city, The cable cars were close to get to going both ways although to walk up to California street it is 192 steps, we counted twice, up the side walk. But not to bad really. There is a very convienant little corner
store right across the street. The room was nice, we stayed in a standard room with a sitting room and another tv and sink they both came in handy.

The street noise is pretty loud as we had a outside room and our bed was right at the windows facing the street, but we were both pretty tiired by time we settled in for the night and slept pretty much right through the night. I cant imagine anywhere in this city that would be quite in the night or early mornings though, as the city seemed alive all hours. We both loved San Francisco we took in all we
could in a weeks time it was what i thought it would be and then some.

• Liked — maid service room was like new every day!!!
  • Disliked — street noise, but its SF
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple