1,299 results
All reviewsunion squareelks lodgecomplimentary sherrygreat locationpost streetceiling fanaround the cornercable carthere is no air conditioningcharming hotelfront desk staffhalf blocktea and coffeevalet parkingstreet noisenob hillcentral location
Reviewed May 11, 2010

After a tiring coach trip from Monterey we were disappointed to find that the ' very nice room ' reserved for my sister and I would not be available until the next day. We had booked a Royal Court double double to ensure we had two beds and because they are on the top two floors - we had also requested a quiet room overlooking Nob Hill. All this had been booked six months previously.
However we moved next day and were pleased to be in a quiet, slightly larger room (none of the two bedded rooms are very large) with a very pleasant view across Nob Hill. Bathroom was immaculate and beds extremely comfortable, but some of the room fittings were a bit tired and dated.
Unfortunately we were opposite the Royal Suite and on Saturday there was a function in there. We were woken at around midnight, and kept awake until 2.30am, by the revellers across the hall. We (and others) complained to reception and we did hear someone ask the party to keep the volume down. It would have been nice to have been forewarned though - especially after our initial inconvenience of having to move rooms.
But as our stay progressed we began to appreciate staying in a small boutique hotel. The staff were excellent, particularly Dorothy, Gloria, Joshua on reception and Bob the concierge. They really make the place.
My sister went home to Australia as booked but I was stranded by the ash cloud. The hotel moved me to a one bedded room and kindly reduced the room rate for me. I was stuck on my own, uncertain of when I would get a flight back to the UK. The staff were most sympathetic and I was so glad to be in the Kensington Park, rather than an impersonal 400 bed hotel. It was a very stressful situation and I cannot praise the staff highly enough for their kindness towards me. The earlier problems faded into insignificance.
The situation of the hotel could not be better either - just a few minutes walk to the Square, cable cars and restaurants. Free access to the internet was a plus - especially when the volcano erupted and I needed to contact family and airline. A great place to stay.

Stayed: April 2010
1  Thank Bee46
Reviewed May 10, 2010

This was a nice hotel. The rooms and bathrooms were quite small. The bed was very comfortable and had nice sheets, bedding and pillows. Our room had a large flat screen tv and nice furniture. We did not use any of the other amenities of the hotel. The front desk staff was not very helpful and check-in took longer than one would expect. It was a bit expensive for the space. Otherwise it was in a great location with easy access to everything we needed to do. We walked down to the Wharf to eat at Boudins Bakery... don't skip this place! Overall, I would recommend this hotel if you are looking for a comfortable room in a good location and are willing to spend some extra money for the location.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank jeskahl
Reviewed May 8, 2010

We discovered the KP through a very good 2010 Fodor's Guide review, liked the descriptions on the hotel web site and reserved a room immediately. But, the entire experience was much more than we expected, particularly the attentive and knowledgeable 'major domo,' Bob F. Our room was lovely --- beautifully decorated, comfortable and quiet. The amenities were beyond standard, like the nicely appointed bathroom's lighted brass magnifying mirror. An unexpected bonus for us was finding an outstanding Elks Lodge located IN the hotel wnich we were able to enjoy as members of another Lodge. We will definitely return and encourage friends to stay at the KP as well. Thanks!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 4, 2010

Very comfortable feel to this hotel and the staff is wonderful. Beautiful decor.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 2, 2010

Top hotel, would certainly recommend it to others, great team of staff, great rooms, wonderful setting and the location couldn't have been better, literally a few steps from Union square.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple