“Perfect location”

The Kensington Park Hotel
Ranked #77 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed May 10, 2014

We stayed here for a few nights prior to flying on to Hawaii and again for two nights on our way back. The location is perfect, a stones throw from a Union Square and within 5 mins walk of cable car stops and the BART station. There are several Starbucks and a Walgreens within a two block radius.

The customer service at the front desk was exemplary and the concierge was very helpful.

The room we had first was lovely but no view. The second room was bigger, with a bigger bed and a view of Union Square. Neither room had a safe which was annoying. The bathrooms were both lovely.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Personality H, General Manager at The Kensington Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2014

Hi Natalie,

Thank you very much for your kind words and for choosing Kensington Park Hotel during your trip to San Francisco. We are so glad that you enjoyed the convenient location and our helpful staff. We hope to see you again in the near future!

Regards,
Dimitar Stanev, Hotel Manager

There are newer reviews for The Kensington Park Hotel

Reviewed May 9, 2014

This is a Preliminary review based soley on their customer service.

I was trying to book this hotel and was having difficulty through various websites, both my corporate booking agent and Hotels (dot) com.

I called up and their representative, Arif, was overly courteous and worked with my unique request.

I will update once the stay is completed.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Jason O
lcalvario, Guest Relations Manager at The Kensington Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2014

Dear Jason O,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor.

Our staff thrives to offer the best service we can possibly deliver to our guest and comments such as yours motivates us even more. I will pass on your nice comment to Arif. I am sure he will appreciate the mention.

Our guests are our top priority in all aspects from booking your reservation and taking notes of your requests to assisting you with making sure you have a pleasant stay.

We want to personally thank you for choosing us as your home away from home.

We look forward to your visit.

Best regards,

Lilia Calvario

Reviewed May 5, 2014

What a great hotel to stay at I had researched so many hotels and somehow after many days of searching I came across this one. Without a doubt this is the friendlies staff I have ever encountered in a hotel...they go out of their way for anything you may need.
The fact it had no restaurant didn't bother us coffee and tea where available in the mornings on the 9th and 11th floor. There is a Restaurant attached to the hotel named Farallon great Happy Hour and great for dinner. There is a deli that is fantastic to the right of the hotel about four doors down. Morton's will also do room service if you need it after 4p.m. We went to the Playhouse that is right in the hotel first play we have seen in probably 40 years. An added touch that was very nice was the sherry in the afternoon that is also something we haven't had in years, we found it quite enjoyable to sit in the lobby by the fireplace (wasn't on to warm) and some sherry and watch the people go by. I would highly recommend this hotel. We will be going back again that's for sure. I truly cant find anything bad to say about the hotel and since I work for a major airline and go to a lot of hotels I can usually find something but not this time.

Room Tip: We upgraded our room the a Royal Court King on the top floor room 88. Was well worth it the view at...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Amystical1,
Thank you for staying with us at Kensington Park Hotel! We are very happy to hear that you had a great experience and enjoyed your stay. Sipping sherry by the fireplace sounds lovely and we're glad you thought it was a nice touch. We hope to see you again during your future visits to San Francisco. Thank you for sharing your experience with us!

Warm Regards
Dimitar Stanev, Hotel Manager

Reviewed April 28, 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights during a conference. Rate was $179/night and it is 1 block from Union Square. Cannot beat the location. Very friendly staff. Small, clean rooms. A bit warm - and no a/c - but we did not open the window (I believe that it opened). A European feel. They host sherry at the end of the day in the lobby, and tea throughout the day in the lobby. Would recommend this hotel. The parking is poor .... supposidly they have valet parking. I parked in a no park zone with my blinkers on and asked the front desk for Valet. They said that they had to call the valet (they are from the actual parking lot). Waited 15 minutes and then gave up. I parked myself 1.5 blocks away.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed April 14, 2014

As with many of my hotels, I got the Kensington Park Hotel from Hotel Tonight. It was one of the less expensive properties on the day's list, and after reading many glowing reviews, I picked it. One of the main reasons, aside from the price, was the effusive praise of the beds. People were saying these were the best beds they had ever slept on. I have fibromyalgia, so a comfortable night's sleep is critical.
When we arrived, the hotel staff were really friendly, and in a completely real and sincere way. I liked the lobby and, although I was wary of the elevators because of some reviews I had read, I had no problem with either of them. Our room was at the top of a flight of stairs, but it was not an issue at all, nor was the fact that we face a main street. The room was still fairly quiet, even on a Saturday night. We did have noisy neighbors, but I think that was less the fault of thin walls than of the loud talking man in the next room. Apparently some other guest complained because I heard him say, "They want me to talk quieter? Well, f&*^! this hotel!" I guess they checked out because we didn't hear him again. I could barely hear his female companion, so it was definitely him.
So why the three stars? The mattress was super hard, to the point where my hips felt bruised in the morning and my back was aching. When I asked if they had any extra pillowtop pads or similar softening items for the second night, the lady at the desk wrote a note and said she would check. We spent the day out at a Giants game. When we returned, I didn't have a message or a note or anything -- nor did I have a softer night's sleep. I would have accepted the fact that they didn't have anything that might help, but if you say you'll check on something, get back to people. We'd generally like to be disappointed than left in the dark. At least I would.
My only other minor quibble was the Neuro Sleep water that was given out free. It was a cool concept, but people should be aware that the Magnesium in it is a laxative. Just saying...

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Dimitar S, Manager at The Kensington Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2014

Dear UglyDollOX,

Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor, As you have mentioned in your review we do receive positive comments about our beds and I apologize that we were unable to meet your expectations. Please accept my apologies about the front desk agent not following up on your request. I can assure you that the issue has been addressed accordingly.

We have forwarded your comments, about the Neuro Sleep Water, to our partners and I would like to thank you for bringing this matter to my attention.

I hope that you will give Kensington Park Hotel another chance in near future. Please do not hesitate to contact me and I will personally assist you with your reservation.

Best,

Dimitar Stanev
Hotel Manager

Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

Upon check in we were upgraded to a suite on the top floor. The room was absolutely beautiful along with the hotel. Unfortunately, the fan in our room didn't work and there were a few other glitches (like getting our car from the lot. Things were backed up for a little over an hour). Nothing too terrible. We told the front desk on our way out to dinner and they said they would have it fixed when we got back but were not able to so the management gave us a discount on our already upgraded room and were so sweet about it. She went out of her way to make it right. I would ABSOLUTELY stay here again! This is how every hotel should operate. And it was such a beautifully old fashioned hotel with so much character!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Personality H, General Manager at The Kensington Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2014

Greetings 1travelover

Thank you for staying with us at Kensington Park Hotel. We are very happy to hear that you had a great experience and enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you again during your future visits to San Francisco. Thank you for sharing your experience with us!

Warm Regards
Hotel Manager

Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

The hotel is situated in a great place. You can walk to the train, the trolley, the bus and yes is so closed to the shopping district. The hotel staff were very pleasant. The hotel was clean and the room was well kept. My only suggestion to people booking here is if they stay in room #51 on the 9th floor at 550 am they put out coffee and tea right across from the room. So u have some not a lot of noise from the person setting it up and people serving themselves. Also there is a small water dripping sound coming from behind a wall it. The noise comes occasionally is not loud enough but you can hear it. I'm also hoping that in the near future they have a bar inside the hotel. I will definitely recommend this hotel and I will definitely come back but will stay in another room :)

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank ronie e
Personality H, Manager at The Kensington Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2014

Dear Ronie e,

Thank you very much for taking your time to share your experience with other travelers. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Please let us know if we can be of any assistance in planning your next trip to San Francisco, in order to choose the perfect room for you.

Looking forward to see you again in the near future,
Best Regards