1,302 results
All reviewsunion squareelks lodgecomplimentary sherrygreat locationpost streetceiling fanaround the cornercable carthere is no air conditioningcharming hotelfront desk staffhalf blocktea and coffeevalet parkingstreet noisenob hillcentral location
Reviewed July 28, 2013

My husband and I, along with our 18 year old granddaughter, stayed here in June, 2013. As an Elk's member we were able to get a reduced price of $209/night. The facility only has double beds or 1 queen bed rooms. As there were 3 of us, we had to accept a room with 2 double beds. Though the room is small (it is quite adequate for 2 person's) it was clean, nice view and most importantly conveniently located about 1/2 block from Union Square, the cable car line, and within easy walk to the entrance to the BART, which we rode to and from the airport. They have citrus flavored water (nice to fill up your water bottle) and tea in the morning with sherry from 4-7 pm. We did not use the Valet parking ($40/day) and did not chose to wear a tie to dine at the Farallon restaurant. We will definitively use this hotel on our next visit to SF.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Charlylep
Reviewed July 23, 2013

No two ways about it, SF is expensive, but if you want nice sleep, the Kensington Park Hotel at 450 Post Street will satisfy.

The KP is not as sleek as some of its more modern neighbors, but I'd be surprised if any hotel in the Union Sq. area has a more attentive staff And the hotels location puts you within walking distance to great food, drink, shopping, public transportation, Union SQ, and Chinatown.

Being an older property...the building appears of be from the 30's...your room will likely be smaller than you are expecting, but the halls are quiet, rooms extra clean, decor very nice, beds comfortable, and the linens thirsty.

The KP definitely 'gets it' when it comes to customer service. In a world where every hotel should provide free wi-fi and morning coffee/juice, the Kensington offers both. There's even refreshments and sherry in the lobby in the afternoon.

There are younger prettier properties in the area, but the Kensington Park is a very nice spot to use as your launch pad in your explorations of SF.

Room Tip: If given the choice of sq footage and corner windows....got for room size
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank portofcaller
Dimitar S, Manager at The Kensington Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Dear portofcaller,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor. I would like to personally thank you for your positive comments about the property and the hotel staff. We hope to welcome you back at the Kensington Park Hotel in near future.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

Arrived there well past midnight with my daughter due to huge delays getting in S/F airport 2 days after the plane crash. Although we had called and told them of the delay the reception person looked tired and after giving us our room key seemed very uninterested without even an offer of help with our luggage. First impressions not good.Next day our room key card did not work ,they took their time in sending 2 new ones.So in my experience service wasnt great. Polite enough with greetings as you walked past front desk but that s all.
The Hotel is very nice in the old world style with soft music playing in foyer and tea/coffee, sherry available for guests as a nice touch.
Our room with 2 very comfotable and soft beds was very small not enough space to walk around , light in entrance was out and doors banged when you closed them, they needed adjusting.
The best part of staying there was the location, very close to everything. For the right price this hotel is good enough but i feel we payed more than its worth.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank cleoSydney_aus

Dear cleoSydney_aus,

Thank you for staying at Kensington Park Hotel. I'm so sorry to hear that your stay was not as pleasant as you would have expected. We take guest services issues very seriously and I can assure you that we will make certain that these problems do not occur in future.

I really hope you will give Kensington Park Hotel another chance and give us the opportunity to change your impression on us. We look forward to welcoming you back at Kensington Park Hotel.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

I had chosen this hotel in San Francisco on the basis of its location - almost on Union Square - the price and the reviews on TA. And I was not disappointed.
We got a warm welcome from Joshua, the receptionist; check in was quick and efficient without being impersonal. And I must say that during the entire stay everybody in the hotel was very kind and helpful.
Reception area is very pleasant and beautifully decorated. They play classical music sofly all the time. All day long one can have coffee/tea, ice water or sherry (in the afternoon).
We stayed in room 26 on the 7th floor at the back of the building. The view from our room was nothing to write home about, but then, we didn't exactly come to SFO to stay in our room.
The room itself was OK. A good size. Clean, compact, with kingsize bed, writing desk + chair, an arm chair, 2 bedside tables, a large closet with 2 racks for the luggage.
The mattress was very comfortable; maybe too soft for some, ideal to me. Nice duvet on the bed.
Insulation between rooms was good, at least we didn't hear any neighbours, unless maybe we didn't have any.
Nothing special to say about the bathroom. Everthing one would expect from a 3/4 star hotel.
Free wifi in the room with good connection. Plenty of sockets.
What I missed in the room was a small safe and also a fridge would have been nice.
Yes, I would return to this hotel, if the price is right.

Room Tip: Higher floor at the back of the building ( very little outside noise)
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dezdemona
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We booked this hotel on the strength of their website and the central location. In hindsight, we probably would have gone some further out and got a better place for the money.

They had a bad start, losing our booking information despite it being booked several months before and through their own website. Staff helpfulness was mixed - some being friendly and helpful, others seemed bored although not actually rude.

The rooms were nice but ours was very small - it was a more expensive corner room and had dual aspect views but wasn't worth the extra money. Parking is $40 a day extra and there is no breakfast. Decent enough hotel but only worth about 50% of the price.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Andrew W,

Thank you for your review. Please accept my deepest apologies for the guest services issues you have encountered upon your arrival. The issues have been addressed accordingly. The room sizes vary between 270sq ft and 315sq ft. I strongly recommend an upgrade to the Royal Suite, should guests find our average room size to be too small for their needs.

Thank you again for your feedback. I hope that you will give the Kensington Park Hotel another chance in future. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly and I will be delighted to assist you with your reservation.