“Great value for money hotel in San Francisco”

The Kensington Park Hotel
Ranked #78 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed January 30, 2008

We stayed here for 3 nights and really enjoyed it. The rooms are an acceptable size but have comfortable beds, plasma screen TVs and a bath tub. We would definitely stay again but would perhaps request a room away from the front of the hotel as it can get a bit noisy. One thing to bear in mind is that it isn't air conditioned (our room wasn't anyway) but they do have ceiling fans. The reception staff were incredibly friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Hillpudlian
There are newer reviews for The Kensington Park Hotel

Reviewed January 21, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Kensington for our Aniversary. From the Antiques to the linens, it was more than comfortable. We had a great time. Everything is close by. We went to a well known Comdeian Show and then had dinner outside under the heaters in North Beach. I'm not sure which was better, the comedian or the people watching in the streets of San Francisco.
Entertainment everywhere!

Stayed: September 2007
Reviewed December 2, 2007

I recently stayed at the Kensington Hotel with my granddaughter and found it to be a lovely experience. We recieved an upgrade to the 7th floor and were extremely pleasantly surprised. Our reservation was last minute and I was not expecting much to be honest.

The room was spacious and clean, the linens were new, and the bed was extremely comfortable. The bathroom was recently upgraded with a large walk in shower. We had a nice view of the surrounding downtown area and the central location was unsurpassed for convenience. Overall there was an atmosphere of quiet understated elegance at an extremely affordable price.

The support staff( houseman and cleaning) were extremely friendly and accomodating. I felt that the front desk staff and concierge were a bit cold and formal but given the ambieance perhaps it was the atmosphere the hotel is interested in portraying.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
5  Thank unas
Reviewed November 17, 2007

Kensington Park is ideally situated on Post Street, a half block from Powell Street and a cable car line. The hotel rooms occupy the upper floors of the building, with a theater and an Elks Lodge below. My room was clean, the bed was comfortable, and I had a lovely view of Nob Hill. The bathroom isn't large (not much countertop space), but it was immaculate, and the walk-in shower (no tub) was great.

If you're looking at the hotel's website, just know that the rooms are not as large as they appear. That said, my room was more than adequate. The wall-mounted flat screen TV was a nice touch. The bed linens and pillows were excellent.

The lobby is small and a bit tired looking, but since I wasn't hanging out there, who cares? The pricing was extremely reasonable for San Francisco's Union Square area, and booking through the hotel's website, I got 15% off for staying 3 nights (or more).

The "business center" is nothing more than a fifth floor room with one desktop computer and a high-speed connection, and you have to visit the front desk to receive a key, so it's not especially convenient. One of the two times I wanted to use it, it was occupied. As all I wanted to do was go online to check in for my departing flight, the front desk staff graciously allowed me to do so at one of their computers. For those who travel with a computer, the hotel also provides wireless.

The biggest strength of this hotel is the staff -- they were great. Very gracious, friendly, and accommodating, and extremely knowledgeable about the city.

I rode BART from the San Francisco airport. For $5.15, the thirty minute ride to the Powell Street station puts you within a short walk of the hotel (or anything else in the Union Square neighborhood, for that matter).

The Kensington Park isn't a Fairmont or Four Seasons, but it isn't priced like they are, either. For a clean, friendly, and safe accommodation in this neighborhood, it's a bargain, and I would stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled solo
3  Thank Reefwatcher
Reviewed November 12, 2007

Four of us (2 rooms) just returned from a 5 night stay at the Kensington. We thought that the rooms were large enough - certainly compared with city rooms elsewhere. The building is old but we found it to be very charming. The big PLUS was the staff - from Romy, who checked us in, Bob the concierge and Rosa who serviced our room -- everyone was delightful. Coffee was available at 7 each morning right on our floor (as well as in-room coffee makers) and Tea and Sherry was served every afternoon in the lobby. It was great coming in after a tiring day and being able to sit and chat with other guests and compare notes. And, the location is great! The "Big Boxes" might have more amenities, but I have never had better service than at the Kensington.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with friends
3  Thank sandinshoes
Reviewed November 7, 2007

We loved this hotel's ammenities, location and price. Stayed 3 nights, never needed to drive the car. They park it, offer lots of information without impatience. Steps away from Union Square, trolley rides, great restaurants, shopping. Best location for first time visitors. Got a great price (under $100/night) by booking with Venere.com, and they lived up to all the information listed and more. Just around the corner from a good Borders books, Macy's and a short stroll to historic Fisherman's wharf. LOVED the whole experience. Concierge and a fellow guest helped navigate our route toward Sacramento so we could cross the Golden Gate Bridge as we departed. Will come again and stay here again. Fabulous!

One caveat, if you visit in July, bring jackets, trench coat. It's windy and quite cool this time of year. When it's in the 90's inland, it'll be in the 60's in SF during the day and cooler at night.

Stayed: July 2006
3  Thank Euro-lust
Reviewed October 28, 2007

We were in town for the Nike Woman's Half Marathon and choose the hotel because of the fantastic location for our event. I have yet to find a perfect property so here are the pros and cons through my eyes.

Pros:
In heart of Union Square, near theatres...location can't be beat
Attentive staff
Flat screen TV
Very comfortable bed with fantastic sheets
Fairly quiet room (but not soundproof
Excellent water pressure in the shower
Small fridge
Complimentary tea, sherry and coffee.

Cons:
High price for offsite valet parking...takes quite a while for your car to be returned, self park in the same lot for half the cost.
Very small rooms
lighting not great
bathroom vanity very low...and I'm only 5'5"

If you are looking for a sleek modern property look elsewhere. If your top priority is a clean, comfortable room with a fantastic location then Kensington Park is it! I literally checked out of my hotel at 6:50 a.m. and was right where I needed to be for the start of NWM '07! I will definitely be back next year.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with friends