“Staff, Hotel - Made our Honeymoon just wonderful” 5 of 5 bubbles

Clift Hotel San Francisco
Ranked #71 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Derby
“Staff, Hotel - Made our Honeymoon just wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2010

The entire staff at the Clift, led by Matt Hittleman went out of their way to make our stay a memorable one. Once they realised that we had travelled all the way to San Francisco to get married - they went to great lengths to make our stay an unforgettable one.
The Clift is just 2 minutes from Union Square on Geary Street so it has the most perfect location for exploring the City.
The room we stayed in had a corner view of the city and was the most spacious room I have ever had the pleasure of staying in, with the chamber staff re-making our room spotlessly, everyday.
Whether it's oppening doors, hailing cabs, offering advice on excursions in the city or just generally assisting with your stay at the hotel - the staff were fantastic.
The Redwood Room is worthy of a mention as it's such a cool place to spend time relaxing with a true 'style-bar' leading selection of drinks. Everyone from our wedding party frequented the bar and commented how relaxed yet 'cool' it was.
Both my wife, and I - will definitely be staying at the Clift again. Hopefully at New Year!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CliftFOM, Front Office Manager at Clift Hotel San Francisco, responded to this review, December 24, 2010
Dear UK_USA-EURO,

We are glad you chose us to share such a special event in your lives. It gives us no greater pleasure knowing we will have a special place in your hearts. We wish we could touch everyones lives the way we did yours. We cannot wait to see you soon, you know how to reach me.
Matthew

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (543)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Oakland, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2010

I stayed here two nights after being at the Orchard hotel for 3 nights. You can read the two reviews I posted and compare yourself. I booked a room at Cllift on Travel Zoo for 189 + tax, on check in upgraded a loft room on the 2nd floor.

Pros
1) Gorgeous lobby and bar/restaurant. Rooms are sleek and elegant, lovely design, though not very functional. Doubt this would be a kid friendly hotel.

2) Location is excellent steps away from the heart of Union Sq and the rest of SF/

3) Excellent breakfast, but costly.

Cons
1) Service manners of the staff is horrible. Slightly rude, they all seem as if its a bother to serve you. Check in took 20 minutes, check out 20 minutes. This while they have 1 person working the station with 3 people standing around doing nothing. No one even wears name tags here, so I dont even know who to complain about.

2) Rooms are noisy, this is a party hotel and as such you will be awoken by people talking in the halls at all hours, and the thin walls dont help. The street noise was not an issue, even on the 2nd floor.

3) Bathroom is horrific, honestly like a holiday inn. Out of date, non functional, a shower that doesnt even drain well. Closet is small also, and no laundry bags included!

4) Had 20 dollars in mini bar charges which i did not do, though they took it off once i complained about it.

5) Rooms are small, even the loft.

6) On thur-sat night, you need to show your hotel key card to gain access to the hotel at night, b/c its a club and the doormen check to make sure you are not sneaking into the club/bar. Ridiculous.

Overall, a nicely designed hotel, with small non functional rooms and a stuff staff that seemed loathe to work. Regular rates are like 300, to me, at 189/night, not even a good value.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank PickE
Dear PickE,

Thank you for being so thorough in your opinion of your Clift experience. I would like to chime in in an effort to enhance your detailed response.

Clift loves kids and kids love Clift. If you TA'ers out there dig a little deeper I wrote a whole response about this. But to summarize, your childrens eyes will light up as soon as they walk in. Think of how interesting our lobby is to you and then think about how a kid will feel when they see a 10 foot high chair in the lobby with a picture under it. We also have a scavenger hunt available to them for any parent who want to get a little fun time in while they wait for a tour or transfer.

Our breakfast prices are being reduced starting the New Year.

I apologize for the delay at the desk. There are two sets of employees at the front, our conceirege and our desk agents. They wear the same uniform but stand on seperate sides of the counter. Our concierges are dedicated to in house guest requests, needs, and questions. Trust me, they do feel bad to see a line, but it would not be fair to our other guests who might need there services to be ignored. We also try to account for peak arrival and departure times as best as we can. But some moments the travel industry can randomly change these patternes for a plethora of reasons from weather, to service interuptions, to unforseen delays.

We would be happy to find a quiet room for you and will do our best to put you in a location that minimizes other guest impact.

Clift is a 'heritage site' being the first eathrquake and fire resistant hotel in San Francisco. Built in an era when bathroom size was not as important as it is today, we still find it functional even if small.

Our guest rooms range in size from 260 to 925 square feet. A loft is 525 sqare feet.

As all you TA'ers can see from other reviews, we have a very happening and popular bar called the Redwood Room. On nights when we have heavy demand, we limit the amount of non hotel guests and direct them to another entry point to keep the front doors clear for our hotel guests.
We ask for your guest ID cards to ensure you are indeed a guest returning.

And finally, our rates do fluctuate to a greater degree than described. Please check on our website and others for deals. There are deals on our website that no others are privy to.

Pick Me,
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2010

First impressions were ok - lobby and lift area are really dark and it seemed like more of an evening destination than a daytime one. Room was nice and bright but quite small and the bathroom was tiny! The best thing about the hotel is the destination - close enough to walk to the main shopping areas and a short taxi ride to other areas you might want to visit. We had a drink in the bar one evening which was busy and had a great atmosphere. The main drawback is the noise. We had a room overlooking the street and every morning we would be woken up by either the bin men or street cleaners or traffic. If I was going back, I would ask for a room on a higher fllor or at least one that didn't look onto the street. Also they charged about $15 for wifi which we thought was ridiculous, especially when so many other places in SF don't charge.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nivamc
Dear Nivamc,

Thank you for your post. It looks like our ambiance and location were a great fit for you. I am glad you were able to check out the Redwood Room as well. There are some real interesting pictures on the wall in there. If you look at them long enough, they actually move and look back at you.
We do have some rooms with larger bathrooms and if any one would like to see them please ask.
Niva, please let me know next time you are coming in so I can get you that high floor you wanted.
Thanks for staying,
Berkeley, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2010

The location is great: it's really close to Powell and the best places to shop. The ambiance and furnishings are really hip and trendy, but there were still a lot of families and children. They also offer a service to hold your bags for 24 hours in case your room isn't ready/already checked out and you still want to explore the city without carrying your luggage. The rooms are definitely on the small side..but they use Korres products for all their toiletries!

Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank jkfu12
Dear jkfu,
Well, I must say I am a bit confused. Swanky? Yes, I agree. But with everything you wrote I dont see why it would not be worth it. Is this a jk thing (lol)?
Note to TA'ers: The new year will bring many additions and changes to Clift that, judging by the feedback we get here on TA, you will all be very happy to hear about.
Stay tuned,
Milano, Italy
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2010

Being familiar with Mondrian Hotel Group from London, I gave the Clift a go. What a big mistake it was. Here are the headlines:
- Poor service. Front office appears very understaffed and waiting 15 min in a line to check in, and 10 min to check out, is in my humble opinion unacceptable.
- While the lobby of the hotel is impressive, the rooms are far from up to standard. It seems like the (small and tatty) bathroom had been forgotten when the hotel was refurbished and appeared like a Holiday Inn style bathroom from the 80s.

Welcome/reception
Friendly enough staff, very slow check-in/check-out.

Bedroom
Basic, small but with a comfortable bed. Expensive, slow internet. VERY thin walls.

Bathroom
Small, outdated, old hairdryer, dirty shower curtain, poor drainage, cheap towels.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank ChristianMoss
Dear Chrisitan,
Just a friendly correction, Mondrian is part of our brand with Mondiran branded in West Hollywood, CA Miami Beach, FL and very soon NY, NY just south of Houston St in the village.
(We are all part of Morgans Hotel Group...)
For all the TA'ers out there: Please refer to my detailed responses regarding the other comments a few reviews above. But to recap for those of you with little time to decide: I do not want any guests to have to wait to check in. Our room sizes vary in size depending on what you are booking, and our bathrooms were designed in an era when their size was not a factor.
We do appreciate your recognition of friendly staff Christian, and I present myself to you as an ally here. I know if you reached out to me for a future stay, I can satisfy and address your concerns.
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2010

...I read the reviews and figured I'd give it a go. I didn't pay much for this hotel and thank goodness I didn't! Rooms are tiny and stuffy. Service is absolute rubbish, they couldn't care less whether you're happy or not. The rooms are tired, we saw two and both had chipped furniture. The Lobby / Bar / Restaurant are nothing like the rooms. The Red Room is infamous in San Fran, for what I don't know... I wouldn't pay £10 for a glass of wine in London and felt ripped off at the Red Room. The location is good but we walked past plenty of hotels that looked great... I suggest you dine at Kuletos, the service and food is on par with the best restaurants in London.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank m15tra
CliftFOM, Front Office Manager at Clift Hotel San Francisco, responded to this review, January 6, 2011
Dear M15tra,

I am sorry to hear about your experience not being up to your standards. We truly pride ourselves on our service culture. It was disappointing to read we let you down. If you would like to discuss further I would make myself available to you.
If our potential guests are looking for large rooms I suggest you look at our Deluxe category or higher. Being a city hotel, our entry level rooms are 260 square feet or a little over 24 square meters. Any concerns can be addressed by myself or capable management staff. Remember, we are here for you.

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2010

The rooms, the food, the staff ... everything was high class, top quality ... perfect. The style is very modern and sleek. It was a bit worrisome to be there with small children - lot sof glass tables and art pieces to worry about in the rooms ... and everything was white! But other than that - a first class hotel. My brother was married at the hotel and we stayed there for the weekend ... everything was perfect.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Dear Joe,

I am happy to hear about your stay. It sounded like the perfect wedding weekend. Congrats to your brother for choosing a great bride and a great place to have such a special, meaningful event. I hope you all keep a warm place in your heart for us and hurry back for a quick getaway or anniversary. And please let me know when you come back.

Best regards,