“Eclectic, contemporary vibe...”

GreenLeadersSilver level
los angeles
“Eclectic, contemporary vibe...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2010

Driving down Geary St., dont even try looking for signage that pops out at you for the Clift. Its very low key, hidden at the corner with doormen ready for your arrival. Parking sucks here because it was $18 for 18 hours with validation near the hotel, but thats SF prices for you. The inside lobby and bar scene is full of dressy, lounge goers and the area is rather busy. The rooms were ok, been in better, again with a contemporary feel but my room was noisy since it was located right on Geary St on the 3rd floor. Great surrounding areas for both eating and shopping, but beware, both will be rather pricey. Gym was also open 24 hours and was roomy enough with a decent amount of free weights.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
CliftFOM, Front Office Manager at Clift Hotel San Francisco, responded to this review, January 6, 2011
Dear Ferocios,

Thank you for the review. In effort to assist the TA reviewers out there; we are located on the corner of Geary (one way street) and Taylor (which is right after Mason). Our windows are double paned glass and work really well shielding our guests from the street noise. I am thinking the seal was not completely closed for this particular instance. There are several parking options other than our valet service, all are within one city block. If you do choose to park elsewhere, feel free to pull up to the hotel and unload, rather than drag your luggage from the parking garage (San Francisco does have quite a few hills and not one street is perfectly level with the horizon). We are in an awesome area for shopping and dining, as well as some really nice bar/lounge scenes as well. And finally, our gym had been updated no so long ago, therefore we have great modern equipment, and as Ferocios stated an ample selection of free weights.
For those of you who are familiar or getting familiar with my responses know I can go on and on sometimes, so I will stop here and continue to post my advice and replies on the other reviews.
Never fear to stay here,
Matthew

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (546)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2010

Looked at 4 rooms when we arrived before we settled on a room with enough cupboard space and room to swing a cat in the bathroom! Took a loft room which they charged us an extra $60 per night which was far less than if we had booked this from home. The other rooms are ok but the bathrooms minute and there was no cupboard space in them. We had come from a 2 night stay in Vegas and had not previously unpacked so we wanted to unpack everything even though we were only staying 3 nights. The reception area is so dark you can hardly see even during the day but the concierge desk is one of the best we have ever experienced. Would I go again? Maybe but would look at other options first. The hotel is trendy but not comfortably so. The position was great having said all the above.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Waxy,

I do not condone any sort of animal cruelty and I have heard about this cat swinging phenomenon invading the states like The Beatles. I just do not think it will catch on here.

Joking aside, please see some of my other posts about our bathrooms, and remember, we can always come up with solutions for storage needs. It is true, we would be happy to charge a fair price for an upgraded room if available but if you do have your heart set on a larger room from the get-go, you might want to book it outright as it might not be available upon your arrival.

I stand behind our product and I revel in the possibility I can touch each and every one of our guests hearts. Allow me to serve you at Clift and have a memorable experience. Myself and our authentic group of managers truly want to deliver this and it gives us no greater pleasure to see our guests smile and live vicariously through their happiness.

Your PETA friendly hotel manager,
montreal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2010

I enjoy modern hotel and urban hotel stays and I have to tell you that this hotel is one of my top 10 list. Morgan's Group Hotels never fails~

I was served at Check-In by Carlos who had a gorgeous presence and welcomed me to San Fransisco.

The city is amazing, the people are great and laid back. I loved everything about the San Francisco Experience!

The Velvet room which is the hotel's main bar at night was happening and even had a celebrity there launching his CD ~ NERO!

If you are planning a trip to San Francisco, it's a MUST to stay at the Clift!~

info@fashionalacarte.com

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Dear Shop,

Thank you, our fans get us and we get them. There is something special about all of our hotels, each unique in their own way but the bottom line stays the same. Vibe, essence, feel; we are living art you can touch, taste, and experience. No Mona Lisa behind thick glass and throngs of people vying to get up close and personal. Not at Morgans Hotel Group, no way. You never know what CD will be launched or who is sitting next to you at the bar or restaurant. You might even be on the same floor as your favorite actor or celebrity. No other hotel company can compete, while they certainly try to imitate and perhaps emulate, at the end of the day they follow. We lead. So try us and become a Morgans Hotel Groupie!

With pride,

Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2010

This is an expensive place but I ended up with a great package from American Express. Two blocks from Union Square shopping. Easy walk to China Town and North End. Two theatres close by. Modern Art Museum a ten-minute walk. Excellent restaurants. Checked out breakfast buffet and the food look great.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Clift-SF-AFOM, Manager at Clift Hotel San Francisco, responded to this review, January 18, 2011
Dear Venice Beach,

I am ecstatic to see that your recent trip to the Clift went well! With our location so close to other popular parts of the city, it gives our guests a great variety of options to fill time when they are not taking pictures in the BIG CHAIR or grabbing a cocktail at the Red Wood Room! Thanks for the perfect score, come back and visit us again soon!

Seoul, South Korea
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2010

Stayed at the Cliff during my short visit to the bay area in July. Loved the room but the hotel seemed overpriced. The bathroom was small but it didn't matter to me. I forgot her name but the staff at the front desks were very helpful and friendly. I dined at a restaurant they recommended me and they seemed to have good knowledge about the town. If I am visiting SF again, I would consider staying at Clift again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Clift-SF-AFOM, Manager at Clift Hotel San Francisco, responded to this review, January 25, 2011
Dear Pooky34,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience you had at the Clift. I am glad that you enjoyed your time here and I am proud to hear that the staff was able to help accommodate your needs. I really hope you keep us in mind the next time you visit SF! Thanks again!

Miami, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2010

We just arrived home after a week stay at the Clift in San Francisco. The following is a brief summary of our stay. Overall I would have to say that the hotel gives a very nice "boutique" experience at a reasonable San Francisco price.

Location: I have to agree with other reviews that the location is overall very good. The cable car is just two blocks east of the hotel on Powell Street. Also, its a few blocks from the upscale shops of Union square. The location's only down side is that West and South of the hotel the neighborhood makes a considerable turn. A large number of very aggressive panhandlers take any opportunity they have to ask for money. Having visited many other large metropolitan areas over the years I have to say that San Francisco is the one with the largest number of people asking for money.

Hotel staff was very helpful. Whether it be arranging dinner plans at a local resturant or assisting with transporation to the airport they were very accommodating.

Rooms: we were upgraded to a corner suite as part of the Amex fine hotels and resort. The size of the room was great! However, the bathroom was way too small for a room of that size. The furnishings were very simple. No dresser at all and a fairly small closet so I would pack on the light side!

Dining and Entertainment: our daily breakfast in the Velvet room was great at first. However, it was amazing to mee that there was absolutely NO change to the market buffet during the ENTIRE week we stayed at the hotel. The coffee was excellent but it was offset by the lack of other variety in the breakfast offerings. Management could at the very least TRY to offer up some variety!! The downstairs Bar was excellent. Drinks were pricey but well done. The bar food was great.

The Clift delivers on nearly all its promises. I would recommend it for sure...

• Stayed October 2010
Dear Alexdv,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a thorough review. I completely agree with your assessment of our location. Our location is ideal for SF visitors, as we have a great variety of nearby shopping, restaurants, and bars. The sad and unfortunate drawback of SF is the people on the street asking for help/money. Our security and door men do a good job of keeping them away from the hotel but you may encounter them elsewhere in the city. I am pleased to see the positive feedback about the hotel staff. I know that we all take great pride in ensuring that we meet the need of all guests we come in contact with. With the building being built in 1913 our bathrooms are a bit tight, however I think they are very manageable. Overall I am glad that you enjoyed yourself while staying with us! Come back and see us anytime!

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2010

I landed on this hotel via Priceline.com bid. After my bid was accepted, I learned the hotel was the Clift. I am not as fond of the area west of Union Square, however I thought the location would be OK given the favorable room price (after staying at the Clift, I thought the area was just fine). I did check the Trip Advisor ratings prior to arrival and was "somewhat guarded" after reading many of the reviews. Our room was on the 3rd floor along a short hallway near the service elevators; I was surprised how quiet it was (only very modest street level traffic could be heard). The room was clean, comfortable & spacious. The bathroom was tight for space but still quite manageable. I parked the car on my own, avoiding the costly hotel valet (i.e. $25 including taxes for secured inside parking just a block west of the hotel). Checking in and out of the hotel was efficient. I would stay again without hesitation (at the right price).

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple