$427
$213
$189
Savings alert! 19% below average rates

The price you found is 19% lower than this hotel's average rate of $233/night.

$218
Savings alert! 41% below average rates

The price you found is 41% lower than this hotel's average rate of $335/night.

$221
InterContinental
Savings alert! 35% below average rates

The price you found is 35% lower than this hotel's average rate of $302/night.

$208
$179
  • Bar/Lounge
Savings alert! 30% below average rates

The price you found is 30% lower than this hotel's average rate of $256/night.

InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
$214
Savings alert! 25% below average rates

The price you found is 25% lower than this hotel's average rate of $264/night.

$179
  • Bar/Lounge
Savings alert! 37% below average rates

The price you found is 37% lower than this hotel's average rate of $283/night.

Omni San Francisco Hotel(San Francisco)
$241
$215
Omni Hotels
Savings alert! 36% below average rates

The price you found is 36% lower than this hotel's average rate of $335/night.

$199
Savings alert! 39% below average rates

The price you found is 39% lower than this hotel's average rate of $328/night.

Fairmont San Francisco(San Francisco)
$476
$220
Savings alert! 35% below average rates

The price you found is 35% lower than this hotel's average rate of $336/night.

3,814 results
All reviewsredwood roomredwood barphilippe starckunion squaretrendy hotelgeary streethotel barjunior suitetenderloinlobby arealocation is greatvalet parkingcorner roomtwo blockshipsfconcierge
Reviewed December 2, 2009

While I haven't actually stayed over night at the Clift I've had many business meetings in the Red Room. Service is always excellent & I love the decor!

Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
Clift, Jenny Chmieleski, Front Desk Manager at The Clift Royal Sonesta Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2009

Dear STG805,

Thanks for taking the time to post! The Redwood Room is a very cool very meaningful part of our history at Clift. Though it was only added in 1933 (20 or so years after the hotel was constructed), the entire room was paneled in Redwood from a single tree, including those gorgeous pocket doors! The original room boasted a solid Redwood bar as well, which unfortunately had to be retired in 2001 (as you can imagine after almost seven decades of service!). If you look closely above the top of the bar you can actually see the original in-laid artwork within the paneled walls, and the sconces and chandeliers are all original, the same that were installed in 1933.

As we said we love the history and love that you've had a chance to sample some of our wares.

Thank you for enjoying and here's to the years to come!

Reviewed November 22, 2009

Chic and quite trendy hotel in Union Square, awesome bar - redwood room and top chef in San Fran in its' restaurant........gets a little noisey in the bar though of a weekend, especially if you've been ut travelling all day and just want either a quick drink or to get straight to sleep, it aint gonna happen. Staff are very helpful and welcoming.

Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple

Dear ingasworld,

Many thanks for your feedback! I love that we could make you feel welcome half-way round the world! The Redwood Room and Asia de Cuba do get pretty rocking, and I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed both--in addition to the respite offered upstairs in your room. We're thrilled you made the trip and do look forward to welcoming you and yours back anytime. Let us know if we can be of any assistance in the future.

Best,

Jenny and the team

Reviewed November 16, 2009

I would not recommend staying at the Clift. The common areas including the Redwood bar are beautiful so it’s a great spot as far as night life. I checked into one of their one bedroom suites on a Saturday evening. The room itself was generous in size but the bathroom was quite small and there was no half bath in living room of suite. None of that, however, was my problem with the hotel. My experience

About half an hour after checking in I attempted to call down to room service and request a buck of ice. However, neither of the phones in the suite worked. This was not a huge deal so I picked up my cell phone and called the main reception line to request the bucket of ice. The hotel receptionist asked what room I was in and what the name on the account was. When I replied she told me that was not the name on the account and I would have to provide her with the correct account information before she could help me with my request. I explained that unfortunately I could not tell her what surname she was showing in the computer but I was most definitely checked in that room. This went in circles several times before she hung up on me.

Thoroughly frustrated I left the room and took the elevator downstairs to speak with the manager on duty. He apologized and said that he would speak with the receptionist as well as send up a bucket of ice and maintenance to fix the phone. Perfect. About, fifteen minutes later someone came to fix the phone. Thirty minutes after that my bucket of ice still had not arrived and I had to call room service again. When the bucket of ice arrived it was two hours after I initially picked up the phone to request it.

Later that evening my girlfriend and I returned to the suite with two friends. Less than ten minutes later there was a knock on the door from two large security guards that our neighbor was complaining about the music. The music was on very low and it was a Saturday night but not looking argue we turned the radio off all together and continued our conversation. At this point the same individuals in the next room begin banging furniture around and hitting the walls. I called down to the front desk to complain and as far as I can tell no one ever spoke them as this continued for ten or fifteen minutes. At this point there is a knock on our door again, the same two securities guards plus the female night manager. She informs us that now we are talking too loud and that she could hear our conversation from the elevator bank. I explain to her that is impossible that she head us talking, at a normal tone, all the way from the elevators and ask if they ever sent someone to speak with our noisy neighbors. She dodged the question and continues that we are being unruly and she would have to ask the two guests not staying at the hotel to leave. I explained to her that we were very much in our rights as hotel guest to hold a conversation within our room. She refused to see my point of view or accommodate us in any way, by moving the other guest or us. At this point, thoroughly frustrated, I told her that if this was how the Clift hotel treated its guests we would be leaving, to which she replied “fine”. We called American Express back and luckily they were able to find us a hotel nearby, the Palace, that was much more accommodating despite the late hour.

Upon checking out I spoke to the same manager again. I tried to rationalized with her that it was quite ridiculous to expect a hotel guest not to speak in their own room. She explained that the walls were thin and it probably had to do but the door adjoining our suite to the neighboring room. I cannot understand how it is the guest’s issue that the hotel is not properly sound proofed. I also asked her why she did not make an attempt to move either us or the next room over, before taking the extreme action of asking people to leave. She told me the hotel was fully booked. I find this hard to believe as I cannot see how we received an upgrade in a fully booked hotel.

In all my years of traveling I have never been treated so poorly by a hotel. I never received any follow up from management apologizing or trying to deal with the situation. I called and spoke to one manager directly and although she apologetic for the situation she would not apologize for the way we were treated or the managers actions.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Merrill77
Clift, David Curell, General Manager at The Clift Royal Sonesta Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2009

Hello Merrill77,

Thank you for taking the time to speak with me last week regarding your experience at Clift.

It is very clear your experience at the hotel neither met your expectations nor ours. The issues you encountered with ice delivery and telephone service are clearly not the usual service standards we are known for and I apologize for the frustration this caused.

With regards to the noise complaint, it is a standard practice to have security and a manager attend any noise complaint issues. While this can come as a surprise or intrusion to guests, as we discussed and I know you appreciate our Management and Security team is responsible for ensuring the safety, security and peace of all guests in the hotel. Especially at 2:00 am it is standard procedure to be sure the source of a noise complaint is resolved, and to ensure peace and rest for all we do not offer alternative accommodation in these situations. While we can understand your frustration, the behavior of you and your guests was not appropriate. We are responsible to protect our guests and employees from hostile situations which include the use of profane language and threats. As you had decided you could not comply with the requests of the hotel, you did choose to leave the hotel on your own accord. Accordingly you were not charged for accommodation or parking.

Again, we apologize your experience didn’t meet your expectations. Please let me know if I can be of assistance in the future.

David Curell

Reviewed November 10, 2009

Great Hotel! Close to everything you will possibly need......fun bar in the hotel lounge!

Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jceran1221
Clift, Jenny Chmieleski, Front Desk Manager at The Clift Royal Sonesta Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2009

Fantastic! Thank you, and we love hearing it!

Elatedly,

The team here at Clift

Reviewed November 9, 2009

Worth every penny, right in the middle of the city and close to everything. The rooms are a work of art, beds are comfortable and awesome lounge.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DominicanDavid

Dear DominicanDavid,

Absolutely adoring the accolades! Many thanks and we're thrilled you had such a lovely time. Hope to see you soon...

Jenny