“Nice”

Clift Hotel San Francisco
Ranked #76 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 25, 2014

Hotel was recommended by family member. The entrance and reception are very dark, no natural daylight here or in the comfortable lounge area. Excellent bar, also frequented by non-guests. Good sized light and airy room, two comfortable queen beds, bathroom very adequate. Not cheap, but there are good deals regularly on offer, check and compare websites. Staff very competent, helpful and friendly. We did complain about the cleanliness of our room, shouldn't happen in a hotel of this standard. Excellent location.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank redpoppy60
Write a ReviewReviews (3,662)

Reviewed June 25, 2014

Great hotel with a lot of character.

Staff are excellent. The check in was a little delayed and we were given complimentary drinks in their bar. Great bar.

The rooms are big and they have high end toiletries as well.

I can't recommend this hotel enough....great stay and wish I had stayed more than 1 night.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank scottdxb
Clift_Hotel_Manager, Manager at Clift Hotel San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2015

Thank you for your five star review! We appreciate you taking the time to share your comments. Please come back and visit us again soon!

Reviewed June 24, 2014

A very nice eclectic hotel geared towards a younger crowd. It's exactly what you'd come to expect of a Morgan's Hotel. This is the first time that I've stayed as a guest of the hotel, as I normally come to have drinks at the Redwood room when I come into SF. I enjoy the feel of the place, but my friends in the city make a look every time I ask them if they want to drink here. In my opinion, it's the closest thing to LA in SF.

I booked the room because it was raining, and I didn't want to wait in line with my friends to get in to the Redwood room. Also, I was planning on drinking with friends, and I didn't want to drive after. That night there was no line for the bar, but it's always nice that hotel patrons can walk into the bar without waiting. Another fun night there, but the scene seemed a little older than usual in the bar.

I checked in at 9pm after going out to dinner. They had the availability and upgraded me into a junior suite which I appreciated even though I only slept in the room. As far as the room goes, it was a little dated. I understand that buildings in SF are literally like 100 years old, but there were obvious signs of wear. There were scuffs on the white walls, stains on the carpet, and the furniture upholstery were looking like they needed to be replaced soon. The bathroom was unexpected. It was from like the early 1900's starting with the tile design to the industrial toilet to the original bathtub. I'm sure it was intentional, but I wasn't feeling it.

We started the night in my room drinking before we went to the bar. It was a pain that you have to call room service to get ice. Once again from being in an old building with no ice machines. It's a similar routine for me at Morgan's hotels, as I do the same thing at the Mondrian in LA when I drink at Skybar. All in all, a good time drinking with friends I haven't seen in a while.

In the morning, I was packing up and getting ready to go to Palo Alto for work for the next few days before I went back to LA. I thought I packed everything, but then I realized after driving out of the city I had left a shirt on the sofa in the room. It sort of sucked because it had sentimental value to me. I could see exactly where I left it in my mind. I packed a backpack with one other outfit than what I had on when I went to the hotel. After verifying that I didn't have it in my backpack, I called the hotel and asked if they would look for it. They said they were unable to find it which was weird since I knew that it was hanging off of the sofa in the room. This is where the Clift's customer service exceeded expectations. Randi, the front office manager, emailed me later and offered to pay me the cost of the shirt that was lost. I was blown away by the customer service.

If you want to stay in a stylized hotel geared towards having fun, the Clift is for you while in SF. If you want a quiet hotel, you can always find cheaper rooms in perfectly nice 4 star hotels like the Westin, Hilton, or Hyatt on Hotwire.

Also, the cost of parking at the hotel is crazy like all Union Square hotels. I'm always a little shell shocked when the parking is $50/night. Park in the lot that's like a 60 second walk from the hotel across the street. I think it was either $30 or $35 for the night. Still expensive, but better than $50.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank EP348
Reviewed June 24, 2014

Perfect location just off Union Square. The lobby is very moden and chic. Room is good size only the bathroom is tiny. I loved the decor I found the rooms very chic and simply modern. A bit over priced though.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed June 23, 2014

Clift still packs the wow factor, particularly in the public areas. I stayed in a fabulous Studio room which was beautifully appointed and of a really generous size. A very civilised space for a 5 night stay. The bathrooms are starting to show their age in terms of design but are very well maintained - only real drawback is the ridiculously shallow bath - surely a missed opportunity.

I would have given a 5 star rating but their was a few hiccups with an understaffed reception desk and an overwhelmed housekeeping department although I would give every member of staff that I encountered 5 stars for effort and friendliness.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed June 22, 2014

We stayed in the Clift for about 3-4 days and it was a great stay. The room was tiny as was the restroom, but it was quite comfortable and clean as well. The location is good too, just steps away from touristy shopping, stores, cafes and restaurants. WIll stay again!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 22, 2014

In the city for a conference and found Clift a very reasonable and swanky hotel located in a great spot. The staff was very professional and the room was clean. I was in the area for 4 days and found that the hotel was located within all the sights as well.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business