“Beautiful room”

Clift Hotel San Francisco
Ranked #75 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 27, 2014

This is one of the coolest hotels in San Francisco. The room was beautiful, the location is perfect and the Redwood Room is an incredible bar. The hotel is a block and a half off Union Square. Most times I think boutique hotels are too cool for their own good...not so with The Clift. Very cool yet comfortable at the same time. Highly Recommend!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
James_Mays, Front Office Manager at Clift Hotel San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2014

Reviews such as yours remind us all why we love what we do! Thank you so much for sharing your experience at Clfit. We are delighted to know that you thought Clift was as cool as we think it is. We will be sure everyone gets to share in the pleasure of reading your review. We look forward to seeing you again!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,633)

Reviewed May 27, 2014

After staying in Clift for several (prebooked) days we ended up with mixed feelings. On one hand there's the iconic hotel bar, which is worth a visit on its own. The rooms are spacious and have a distinct feel.

However, we grew more and more discontent with:
-quality: rooms are extremely noisy
-service: frontdesk is understaffed = long waiting times for each query
-extremely expensive. Clift easily charges double rates of the 5 stars hotels just around it. Same goes up for the food and drinks, which though claims of biogical and local sourcing, is just average

In sum, fit for short stay if the rates don't exceed that of the high end hotels around Union Square.

1  Thank Luketravlr

We appreciate your thoughtful review of our location and historical appeal. Clift takes special care to create an environment of relaxation for a fun getaway and it is disappointing to learn that you did not feel the same. Thank you for providing your feedback. We hope to have another chance to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed May 26, 2014

I booked the Clift with by Express Deal on Priceline, so I had no idea what I was getting. When I saw that it was the Clift I got worried. I usually find boutique style hotels to be silly, lacking basic amenities, and the reviews seemed harsh. My worries ended once I got to the hotel though. What a stunner. Just gorgeous. And comfortable. The lobby smells beautiful. This place is sexy. Not a place for families, best for couples or singles. Union Square and the Tenderloin can be hectic and nerve racking. Coming back to this cool, dimly lit hotel helped me to chill out. Be aware that this place is popular at night because of the Redwood bar. Bring a nice outfit and enjoy it. It's fun to people watch. The good thing is that you can not hear the bar in the rooms. I think I was directly above it and had no problem. I'm not going to post any pictures that I took because they don't do this place justice. I don't even think the professional pictures show how pretty it really is.

Was the place perfect? No. I wish they didn't unstock and lock the wet bar in the cheaper rooms. The TV had very limited channels, most of them were audio only. I do want to address some things I read in other reviews. People complain that the Standard King is a small room. It is. This is SF and the hotel was built in 1913. I've actually stayed in smaller rooms in SF. This room was not bad. Too many wires and extension cords? Again, you are in SF in an old building. There are complaints about the epoxy/paint coming off the tubs. I saw some spots of that in my tub. Know why? These are original cast iron tubs. They are shorter than modern tubs, but are deep, comfortable, and stay warm. Do you really think these beauties should be hauled out and replaced with crappy fiberglass so you don't see a nick in the refinishing? No. As it was, some historical features of this building were surely ripped out for the current redesign. From what I read, the Redwood room was hours from being ripped out. Thank goodness locals fought to save it.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank FiveAlive

Thank you so much for taking the time to share feedback about your experience at Clift. We're thrilled to learn that you enjoyed your stay and were able to appreciate some of the amazing amenities we offer from the Redwood Room to the room. As you mentioned, our historic charm is one of the many things that makes Clift unique, and we love that you enjoyed that experience. Our associates always hope to leave guests with a positive impression and will be thrilled that you found your stay so enjoyable. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed May 26, 2014

Stayed at Clift hotel for 5 days on a business trip and it was all perfect.
Location is awesome if you wanna be close to the Union Sq and Market St, which means lots of shopping and restaurants options. Starbucks is right across the street and good breakfast options such as Pinecrest and Cafe Mason are really close.
Hotel is modern, with excellent front desk, check-in/out processes were very fast.
Deluxe room is quite large, with plenty of space for one person or couples. In-room WiFi was included in the rate and it was very fast with no connection issues.
Not a budget hotel, but it sure delivers what you're paying for.
Definitely recommended!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business

Clift is certainly renowned for our historic charm, uniqueness and amenities and we are delighted that you could paint such a great picture with your words. We hope to continue to offer the same rejuvenating experience for all of our guests for many years to come and appreciate that you feel that we are, as you put it, Awesome! Thank you for your many wonderful compliments. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed May 24, 2014

Perfectly located on Geary St just a 2 min walk away from Union Square. Lots of food, bars and shopping around. Smallish rooms with large bathrooms. Nicely done up. Ask for a room on a higher floor to avoid the noise. Would definitely recommend. Nice, clean and superbly located.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Clift is truly one of the greatest California landmarks located in the heart of San Francisco and offers all of the charm and historical significance of years gone by coupled with luxury and convenience. Thank you for sharing feedback regarding your most recent visit. We are glad you enjoyed a comfortable stay and we hope that you weren’t too inconvenienced by the size of the room. Your opinions are extremely important to us and we will be sure to share your feedback with everyone here. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back.

Reviewed May 22, 2014

My husband and I stayed 3 nights at The Clift before taking a cruise last weekend. First impressions were good as there was a casually dressed door man who greeted us from the taxi and showed us to the front desk. The unique art pieces of furniture that decorate the lobby are interesting, however, the extremely dark lighting is a little suspicious. Could it be in keeping with the theme of the Red Room lounge at the back of the lobby? (More on this further...)
The whole decor is a little theatrical, from the dark entrance of the lobby to the green, blue or red lit elevators which take you to the dramatic floor/hallways painted in a contrasting silver/lavender. The room thankfully was very bright and each of the 4 walls had drapes framing them; mirrored walls gave the room a larger feel. I didn't mind the decor, but my husband hated the lavender hallway and room. The king sleigh bed was comfortable enough, there was a nice long bench to set 1 piece of luggage on, however the larger 2nd piece had to sit flat on the floor. The single bathroom sink/counter was a little tiny for 2 people so taking turns was necessary. The shower pressure was wonderful and the rum body wash and toiletries were a treat. The closet was a good size but the safe was set too high for my 5'2" height; if my husband wasn't there to reach into it for me I might leave something behind. No coffee machine or internet in the rooms was a miss.

The infamous lounge in the lobby on a Saturday night was quite the busy hot spot, so the indiscretions weren't as visible. On a quieter night, we ended our day with a night cap at the lounge and found ourselves distracted by a "call girl" consulting with a group of men next to us. Really?! Sorry but that just took this hotel to another level for me. Apparently the hotel lounge is known for this. My husband is a smoker, so he spent a lot of time at the front of the hotel observing the zombies (homeless crack heads), begging for money or cigarettes. So unfortunately due to the ambience surrounding the hotel, we will likely try another hotel on our next visit to the beautiful city of San Francisco.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for sharing such a comprehensive review of your time with us at Clift. It is only through the eyes of our guests that we can learn what aspects of our facility are appreciated and which may need our attention. Our property dates back to the early days of the Gold Rush and spans nearly 100 years of service. It is always such a pleasure when a guest takes the time to share an appreciation of our history. No two rooms are exactly alike, with something for every taste and preference. With that being said, we must apologize if any area of your accommodations fell short of your expectations or if some of the room's features were not completely accessible. The many points you have shared with us here will be in turn provided to our Management team so that we can continue to make adjustments to our services and offerings where needed. We do hope that your overall stay was positive and we value the time you have taken to share your thoughts.

Reviewed May 16, 2014

Stayed at this vibrant hotel numerous times and have been impressed with the hotel and it's staff. However after my recent stay I had the misfortune to interact with one of the security detail (short and squat). He was extremely rude and belligerent to my group of friends and created a hostile environment in the bar area.

• Stayed: May 2014
3  Thank emilie32x
James_Mays, Front Office Manager at Clift Hotel San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2014

Thank you for your review of Clift. Everyone here greatly enjoys taking care of our guests and creating the type of experience that inspires a return visit. We must apologize if you felt our security was less than friendly in any way. If there is anything you might need while you are staying with us, one of our associates is always happy to help. Your review has been shared with our management team. It will be our pleasure to welcome you back again in the future.