$279
$200
HolidayInn.com
Savings alert! 12% below average rates

The price you found is 12% lower than this hotel's average rate of $228/night.

$189
Savings alert! 17% below average rates

The price you found is 17% lower than this hotel's average rate of $228/night.

$380
$213
$214
InterContinental
Savings alert! 33% below average rates

The price you found is 33% lower than this hotel's average rate of $292/night.

$221
InterContinental
Savings alert! 33% below average rates

The price you found is 33% lower than this hotel's average rate of $296/night.

$210
Savings alert! 24% below average rates

The price you found is 24% lower than this hotel's average rate of $258/night.

Omni San Francisco Hotel(San Francisco)
$241
$215
Savings alert! 40% below average rates

The price you found is 40% lower than this hotel's average rate of $360/night.

$189
$179
  • Bar/Lounge
Savings alert! 40% below average rates

The price you found is 40% lower than this hotel's average rate of $299/night.

Fairmont San Francisco(San Francisco)
$476
$220
Savings alert! 35% below average rates

The price you found is 35% lower than this hotel's average rate of $336/night.

$237
$199
Orbitz.com
Savings alert! 39% below average rates

The price you found is 39% lower than this hotel's average rate of $328/night.

3,814 results
All reviewsredwood roomredwood barphilippe starckunion squaretrendy hotelgeary streethotel barjunior suitetenderloinlobby arealocation is greatvalet parkingcorner roomtwo blockshipsfconcierge
Reviewed December 23, 2013

The hotel itself is very central - about a 2 min walk to Union Square and about 5 min to the trams/train stations. This is great if you are in San Francisco for business/ only have a few days in the city and are wanting to have easy access to shops/sights. Staff were friendly and they were willing to look after our luggage until our flight on the day that we checked out so that we did not have to carry it all over the city.

The rooms however are outdated and in need of refurbishment - pastel/white decor does not match the rest of the hotel at all. The bathrooms are old and tiny and I was very dissapointed that there was only a shower over the bath tub and not a proper one - I expected more for the price of the room. On the one day we were there, there was a function in the breakfast area which meant we had to eat in the bar - it was not pleasant as no proper tables.

Overall, a very average hotel and I am sure you can find something better in the same area/for the same price.

Room Tip: Ask for a room high up as the rooms on the lower levels are quite noisy. Higher up rooms also have a better view of the city.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
CliftFOM, Front Office Manager at The Clift Royal Sonesta Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to detail your experience at Clift. We are delighted you enjoyed some aspects of your stay in our historic hotel. As you mentioned, we are located only a few blocks away from union square, and are pleased that you could enjoy the area.

It is however very troubling to know that you did not completely enjoy your room. As previously mentioned we are an older hotel, with many different rooms to offer.We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again, so that you may have the opportunity to experience one of other many great room styles. If you are so obliged to stay with Clift again, please reach out to management so that we can arrange an amazing stay for you! We look forward to hearing from you soon!

Reviewed December 22, 2013

I went to check in at 2:00pm as I requested an early check in on Friday, December 6. Our room was not ready at that time, so I had the bellman take our luggage and store it until our room was ready. As 4:00pm approached, our room became ready and I was contacted via cell phone. I notified the agent that I was off property and wouldn't be back until late. Furthermore, I requested that our luggage be put in our room so we could just come home and go to bed. Later that evening I went to come check in and they were only allowing hotel guests and people with an 'event' ticket to enter the premises. I told the bouncer/bellman/staff member my last name and that we were half way checked in and just needed to pick up our keys. He refused to let us in, which in turn put us back on the street for a good hour. I contacted San Francisco travel, and they quickly solved the problem. The gentleman working the door that night was rude, inconsiderate, and most of all made me feel as though I was not a hotel guest, even though I was. Once we were allowed in, I picked up our keys and proceeded to our suite. Once we got to our suite, we found all of our luggage scattered all over the suite. Our hanging clothes was put in between our suitcases, and was presented in such a way that it looked like the bellman just threw it in there and left.

On top of the experience above, we received a phone call from the front desk indicating that we were being too loud. However, the two of us were already in bed and the noise was not coming from us. Once again, we were accused of doing something that we weren't doing. The gentleman apologized and I was able to go back to sleep.

I attempted to contact the General Manager using our telephone in the room. However, it continued to ring and ring with no answering machine, which is why I am taking the time to write in.

Our suite was spacious and great. However, the cleanliness of the overall suite needs some attention. Firstly, there was red wine stains all over the carpet from previous guests. Secondly, the bathroom towels had hair in them. Thirdly, the bathroom in general is old, and quite frankly, disgusting to even use.

I expressed my concerns to the girl at checkout, and all she said was a simple sorry (and gave the impression that she didn't care, and had more important things to do).

I was extremely disappointed with this particular hotel. I am very surprised that it is even part of Morgan's Hotel Group. The customer service was beyond poor, the cleanliness of the suite was poor, and the entire experience was poor.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank travelfreak903

Travelfreak903,

We are certainly pleased to know you enjoyed some aspects of your stay however we couldn't be more disappointed that your entire experience was not as positive. An extended day of traveling can certainly be taxing and while it is not clear in what manner your reservations were made, it is truly regrettable that your anticipated accommodations were not available when you arrived. Please accept our most sincere apologies for any inconvenience you experienced. It is our hope that we can have another opportunity to fully impress you with all we have to offer. Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed December 19, 2013

The hotel it self is OK. It has a very good location which makes it only a short tips to central shopping areas and other attractions (e.g. the tram).
Friendly, helpful and service minded staff - at the front desk.
Didn't find the waiters at the restaurant particularly, or solutions orientated when there was an issue. Good breakfast :)
What makes this hotel special is the bar my the lobby - Redwood Room.
However, that will get it's own review, but feel it's worth mentioning since it's the hotels bar.

The rooms are American, big..... but small and outdated bathrooms, and I don't care much for the carpets.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank vTRAVELv

It is truly great to hear that although everything wasn't completely to your satisfaction, that the bar and staff at the Front Desk could be added benefits to the positive aspects of your stay. We strive to have each guest have an outstanding stay, and it troubles me that we could not do just that for you.

I would like to thank you for your feedback, as these sort of reviews are what help management and staff alike to continue to grow. I do hope that you choose Clift again for your next visit to San Francisco, and urge that if you do so, you reach out to the Manager on Duty to help make your next stay all that you had hoped it to be the first time around. We look forward to hearing form you!

Reviewed December 14, 2013

My college bestie and I stayed here back in 2003 and loved the hotel for it's bar the redwood room and for its location close to neimans and saks. This reunion weekend has just been one big disappointment. From finding out that 24 hr valet parking is 60$ per night to the shabby decor of the rooms, badly in need of a facelift, to the tiny bathrooms and the low staff to guest ratio, we feel that for almost 650$/ night this is a total ripoff coasting on the reputation of yesteryear and the morgan hotels. the room service was also mediocre...just definitely not hip or chic...and the quality of guests makes you feel more like you are at a low class marriott or an aloft hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Belkis B
CliftFOM, Front Office Manager at The Clift Royal Sonesta Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 24, 2013

Hi KindredHandcrafts,

Thank you so much for choosing our hotel as the spot for your special occasion. The Redwood Room, and our hotel in general, are great spots for a wide variety of special events. Being an "icon", as you noted, is a great honor to us.

It pains me to hear that we were unable to create the type of experience you needed for a birthday celebration though. Anytime you come to stay with us, whether you are visiting the bar, the restaurant, or staying in the hotel, please take the time to reach out to a Manager on Duty or our lovely Concierge so we can anticipate your needs and also go that extra mile to create surprises and lasting memories for you. The best part of our hotel is the community of staff we have that love to and live for the opportunity to get involved and ensure your experience is above and beyond expectations.

I greatly appreciate the time and effort you put into your review so we can continue to grow as a hotel. It is important that we are aware of any moments that do not live up to expectations so we can ensure this does not happen to you again. Have a great day! Hope to hear from you soon!

Reviewed December 8, 2013

We often stop in at the Redwood/Velvet Room for drinks when visiting San Francisco, so in celebrating a birthday, we decided to stay overnight. Unfortunately, the Redwood Room was closed for a private party, (it would have been nice to have been notified of that!), but the management offered our party of 8 (four guest rooms) a round of complimentary drinks in the "Living Room". However, the Living Room was packed and the cocktail waitress was no where to be found...

Our room was really comfortable, especially the linens with big fluffy comforters. We had a larger room than our friends next door. So we got lucky. However, it was irritating to have to dig out our room key, no just once, but twice to get up to our room.

Centrally located, The Clift is great...and we had breakfast in the Velvet Room, which was tasty, but awkward as they had only one table where the chairs and table are the right height for eating. Better for cocktail set up. We sat at the bar, which was fine really, but not ideal.

We got a great price on hotels.com, however, any funds saved were spent on the $60 parking per car...overall, though a great experience to stay in one of San Francisco's historical and cool icons...

Room Tip: Room 509 was larger than Rooms 510 and 517...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

KindredHandCrafts,

Although your whole experience was not all that we would love for it to be, I would like to thank you for the kind words that you have shared about our hotel. Staying in a historic hotel such as ours can be truly an exciting experience, especially with so many great offering around our location.

I'm glad that we were able to rectify some of your undesirable issues during your stay. And we truly do appreciate your feedback, which is extremely essential in order for us to continue to improve. On your next visit to Clift, please reach out to the Manager On Duty beforehand so that we may ensure that your stay is all that you had hoped it would be.