“A place forever in our hearts! xx”

Clift Hotel San Francisco
Ranked #76 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 7, 2013

We had our reception in the Spanish Suite of The Clift Hotel on 26 November 2012 (so coming up a year ago) & spent our wedding night in one of the suites! Spanish suite is just the most beautiful setting for a wedding reception. We found the staff (in particular Virginia Mills) catered to our every need :) we are so grateful to have found The Clift Hotel (nothing really compared budget wise in the downtown area). Organising all the way from New Zealand was so much easier knowing we had good people wrking with us! Thank you Clift Hotel you will forever be in our hearts ♥♥♥

Warren & Vanessa Mahani from Auckland, New Zealand

• Stayed: November 2013
CliftFOM, Manager at Clift Hotel San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

Hi,

Thank you for your positive feedback regarding your recent stays at the Clift! I am delighted to hear you had a fantastic visit for your wedding reception and we were able to provide exceptional service. I am also happy to hear that you were able to set up your appointments and reservation accordingly overseas.

We hope to see you at the Clift the next time you visit San Francisco!

Pam

Write a ReviewReviews (3,662)

Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

This was my second stay at the Clift.

Bathroom sink and surface area improved this year. Bed is really comfy. The rooms looking onto the street have a nicer view.

Can't really complain about this hotel, it's a pretty good all rounder, but of course there are cheaper hotels if you're looking to keep costs down (Monaco across the road has slightly smaller rooms, but arguably more modern rooms).

The bar downstairs is excellent, however they automatically added 16% service to my check out bill for my bar visit. It would be nice if they told you they were going to do this rather than adding it on without telling you. Basically I signed in the bar for one amount and then on my checkout bill there is a different amount. Not sure if this is the waitress, Devin, or the hotels policy.

Hotel car to airport was $55 and instantaneously available.

Both times I've stayed wifi internet has been included in my package. Both times I've checked in, the receptionist looks baffled when I tell her it's included. Aren't they able to work this stuff out?

All told, I'll probably try Hotel Monaco next time.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
CliftFOM, Front Office Manager at Clift Hotel San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2014

Thank you for the kind words about our staff and hotel. It sounds like there were a few setbacks during your stay and I hope that you will return soon so we can try to amend that. Always rely on our staff to go above and beyond to create what you need, as well as the experience you envisioned.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

decoration is very interesting and alternative, yet nice. Rooms are pretty and spacious, but otherwise i was not impresed with the service: wifi was not free, the fitness room was nice but had several damaged machines. Only major complaint is that when you get there late at night the place has basically converted into a nightclub with drunks sitting outside and rude bouncers at the door asking for your keycard to make sure you are a guest, they should use a different entrance for guests and clients of the bar. i cant complaint much since i got a very nice rate.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Hi,

Thank you for your comments about your stay at the Clift. We take your feedback very seriously. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the decor of the lobby as well as the "big chair."

The next time you decide to visit San Francisco, consider the Clift!

Reviewed November 5, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for a long weekend. Location is in down town. Check in was efficient. The Philippe Stark designed interior was striking, the Jean Baptiste Mondino photographs in the "Living Room" added a whimsical touch, albeit black and white, to an otherwise eccentric aesthetic, but the place to be at this hotel will have to be the Redwood room bar. The digital framed art, the mirrored bar, gorgeous wood paneling, an international jet-set crowd and the melon rouge cocktail taken altogether was quite an assault on the senses, but in a good way. Now on to the opportunities for improvement. The room we were first given was absolutely awful! The view was the roof of another building, the bathtub had chipped paint all over, something on the wall at the foot of the bed was unhinged, it was just unacceptable. I contacted the manager. The manager on duty was Pamela. She listened and understood how valid my concerns were. She rectified the situation quickly and we were whisked to a new and much better room. We ordered room service for breakfast twice. Unfortunately, "nothing to write home about." We used the fitness center. It was small and clean, but I had to call the front desk to supply us with cups for the water. It was these little things, attention to detail, the hotel lacks that keeps it from its potential. Aside from the fact that it is begging for a renovation.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gvurslf

Thank you for the glowing review of our bar. The Redwood Room is world-renowned and not to be missed during any visit to SF. It sounds like you had a rocky start to your stay but I am happy to hear one of our wonderful Managers was able to fix it on the spot.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

There are some positives. The lobby is beautiful. The car service to the airport is excellent. The elevators are quick and quiet and the rooms are mostly quiet. I did sleep well on the bed and the pillows were nice. The enjoyment for me ended there. I stayed here for two evenings as part of a conference. The first experience we had was in the lobby bar for a cocktail mixer. Our group survives by networking and sharing business ideas. The room was far too small for our group and the lighting was so poor that it was nearly impossible to see a few feet beyond where I was standing.

The food tried far too hard to be different and fancy. What we basically got was dry meat and odd flavor combinations. Its never a good thing when most of the plates at our table get sent back full and there are multiple items that a full table of 12 could not identify.

The rooms were very small. The Wifi worked fine, but there were no plugs close enough to the desk for a standard Ipad cable to reach allowing you to still use your tablet. The bathrooms were so tiny, I eventually gave up and dried off in the room...which was also extremely small. The large sled style bed took over the room and I bumped into it several times trying to get around the room (See: Bull in a china shop).

Water pressure in the shower was very good and towels were large and soft. Climate control in room worked fine. I do question the decision to include condoms and lubricant as part of the mini bar...a bit uncomfortable for a business trip.

The meeting space in the hotel was far too small for our group. We had to be split into several rooms for part of our meeting and the "large room" was small enough that many had to stand in the back or were sitting behind a pole and could not see the front of the room.

Unless I was forced to return for another conference, I would choose alternative accommodations. The hotel may appeal to those looking for small and trendy, but its not for me.

The staff was very friendly and should be commended, but the logistics, lighting, food, room size are too tough to ignore.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank John G

Hello,

Thank you for your comments regarding your business trip. I am happy to hear that you received the service we are known and strive for. I am also pleased to hear that the location of the hotel was satisfactory and the bed and pillows were comfortable and to your liking.

The next time you stay in San Francisco for business or pleasure, please feel free to contact me to set up a reservation and I can recommend a room that has a fantastic view!

Reviewed November 3, 2013

First impression/ on the surface: It seems like they are trying to do a minimalist themed hotel but things end up looking a tad short of luxury for the price you pay. Choices of materials/colours are hard to maintain a clean appearance. And the single pane windows are a bit of a pain. (no pun intended). Not the best for noise reduction.
Overall experience was pretty good though. The staffs were all very friendly and helpful. The bed was comfortable. We were lucky to be assigned to a lofty room with a very spacious bathroom (which seems to be a common complain here). And even though it may appear to be dirty (like stains on the carpet and sofa), but the housekeeping was great. AND THERE IS NO BED BUGS!!!! We checked the mattress and it is a very new looking one. The location is PERFECT with our MUNI passes!! We walked and transited everywhere. There were lots of eateries around that have late hours. (Great for a late dinner/snack after a long day of sightseeing).
Apparently, the hotel holds an annual Halloween special themed party (which happened to be during our stay). It seemed to be a very popular event. We came back to the hotel on Halloween night with a long line-up to the party. We just waved our hotel room card to the bouncer and were let in without any problem. And as guests of the hotel, we were offered quick access to the party~
We would definitely stay in Clift again if we go to San Francisco again~

Room Tip: Be aware of the internet charge! It is not complimentary.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Aggie C

We are so happy to hear that your stay at Clift was so great! It is always a delight to hear when our staff makes such a positive impact. Hope we will see you next year for our annual Halloween and NYE parties!

Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

I spent a week in the Clift. The hotel has an original modern design and is well located in the center of the town. The rooms are comfortable with a standard dotation for its category. It is not true what I read about the wifi in another review since this system is available either in the rooms and lobby. Breakfast is a bit expensive since is not so rich and sometimes you don't know what is considered extra from the buffet until you are asked to sign the receipt. Just as an example, I took everyday a cappuccino or espresso coffee and, depending on the available waiters, sometimes it was considered an extra, sometimes not and nobody able to explain the criteria. The night bar is a bit overvalued for what I experienced during my stay since eventhough has a very nice design but nothing more, at least in weekdays. So, in conclusion, a nice hotel but probably overrated.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Cardiolamanna

Hello,

Thank you for your comments about your stay at the Clift. The wireless internet is indeed available in the lobby as well as in each individual room. The next time you visit and stay at the Clift, try room service! The food is delicious especially the pesto flat bread!