“Okey hotel with good staff”

Clift Hotel San Francisco
Ranked #72 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Okey hotel with good staff”
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Stayed at the Clift for a week. Staff did a great job, they were
always friendly and service minded.

Had to change my room after the first night as it was impossible to
sleep - the windows are so thin! I could hear everyone people said
when talking on the street and cars driving buy sounded as if they
were driving right next to the bed. This was on fifth floor with city
view.
My other room I got was courtyard facing and on the 13th floor. The
level of noice was better but bathroom was smaller.

The rooms are light and comfortable, but with horrible lighting in the
hallway. Since the closet is located in the hallway it was hard to get
a good look into it.

Bathroom was ok. Small and with little shelf space. Bathtub had cracks
in it and the hinge on the door.

Wifi was free but horrible connection. Was almost not able to make
Skype calls without getting disconnected constantly.

The gym was great! Fruit was provided and that was a plus!

The location is great - close to u ion square. Just stay away from
Taylor street on the left side of the hotel!

I think Clift needs to freshen up the rooms a bit. The staff saved the
experience though by Bering attentive and professional.

Room Tip: As high floor as possible, stay away from city view if you are a light sleeper. The view it self doe...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
CliftFOM, Manager at Clift Hotel San Francisco, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Hanna,

I am pleased to hear that your stay at the Clift was a positive one. We strive to provide excellent service for each guest and I am pleased to hear that you received a room move when you informed the staff of the noise issue.

I hope you consider staying at the Clift during your next visit to San Francisco.

Pam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (552)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California, United States
Reviewed September 19, 2013

I just stayed there last weekend. It's a very happening bar @ night but other than that the rooms are OK. Seems like an old building that god a soft renovation in the rooms.The acoustics are very low quality so expect to hear your neighbors. Since it has a night life I heard people singing past midnight as well as people chatting in the sunrise time. The bathrooms are small and not much surfaces to layout your suitcases. The beds are very comfortable and so is the bedding. I think for the area you are in and for the price tag, you can get something better and newer.
I think it's overpriced for what you get but overall nice ambiance in the public spaces.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
CliftFOM, Manager at Clift Hotel San Francisco, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Hi,

Thank you for your positive comments about your stay at the Clift. We strive to provide a great experience at the Redwood Room and a comfortable stay in the actual hotel rooms.

We hope you stay at the Clift the next itme you visit San Francisco!

New York, NY
Reviewed September 18, 2013

In the past we had been there for drinks but we had a terrific stay for 2 nights. When we were able to get someone to pick up the phone, they were great to deal with. We got upgraded to a junior suite and the bar/restaurant downstairs was wonderful. The location is very central but beware which direction you go in--there's a shady neighborhood not too far off.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor and just try to be pleasant. These folks have to deal with a lot o...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank sanrib
Hi,

I am pleased to hear that your stay at the Clift was a positive one. We strive to provide excellent service for each guest and I am pleased to hear that you received an upgrade to a junior suite.

Sofia
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I did not stay at the hotel, but I visited the bar many times.Very nice place, with extremely good service.The crowth is nice working people typical for the area. Nice drinks, a bit pricy menu.
Book in advance

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Napa, California
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I stayed at the hotel for one night this past weekend and much like the title of this review states, the minute I stepped out of my car the bellman was there to greet me, assist with luggage and hold the door open for me! And that level of service continued at the front desk during the check in process, the girl behind the desk greeted me with a smile, was very gracious and made checking in smooth. The lobby was beautiful, welcoming and relaxing. I like the dark colors it kinda added some warmth to experience. I was there for my birthday and wanted to feel relaxed, not stay at a crazy busy hotel.

To my surprise I was upgraded to a junior suite. And I was thrilled to walk into my room and have a parlor area to just sit and watch some College Football, although the TV in front of the bed was great too, that came in handy the next morning with Sunday football! The bed was absolutely amazing and the pillows, I need to get me those pillows.

I did stop down at the Redwood Room right at opening, 4pm and was greeted by the hostess. Even though servers had their designated area to serve each time a member of the staff walked by they all would check to see how I was doing. I had a glass of Chandon and just enjoyed the room. Again with the dark colors, I could of fell asleep it was so relaxing.

I could go on and on but I think you get the point. The service here was impeccable and I would highly recommend this hotel for business or pleasure. Cheers!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Hi,

Thank you for your positive comments and feedback. I am pleased to hear that the service you received at your stay at the Clift was impeccable. We at the Clift take great pride in our services to all our guests and I am happy to hear that you received the service you expected especially during your birthday weekend.

The next time you stay in San Francisco, consider staying at the Clift again! It is indeed relaxing and we strive to meet all our guests' needs.

WEST LINN
Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

The Clift is in a great area with pretty comfortable rooms. I have never been in a business that chooses to keep their lighting so low, but it works for them. Hard to find the lobby on a weekend night because their bar is so popular.

• Stayed September 2013
Hi,

Thank you for your valuable feedback during your stay at the Clift. I am glad you were able to enjoy the comfortable rooms as well as the ambiance. The Redwood Room is quite famous and popular for the moving pictures as well as what the bar is made out of - Redwood!

I am also pleased to hear that you were able to stay with us after the unfortunate event at your previous hotel.

The next time you stay in San Francisco, consider the Clift!

Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed September 14, 2013

the hotel decor is very good in lobby, bar and public places, but rooms are not so good. the rooms are very spacious, but, beds were very small and the decor was very simple for a design hotel. the bathroom however was small and had no window. the room smell tobacco. staff is helpful. free wifi. great location near the major shopping area.
overall very over priced.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends