I stayed at the Clift Hotel for 4 nights as I was attending a wedding at the hotel. Overall, the stay was okay but service and amenities were very basic. The building must be some old historic building because you can tell that it's been renovated and dressed up. This hotel wants to be a trendy chic boutique hotel and while the decorations and fixtures match that mantra the software is that of a budget hotel, just meeting the bare minimums.
- Excellent location. Just 3 blocks from Union Square.
- Price was reasonable. I paid the wedding rate which was US$220++
- Large (albeit strange) walk in closet.
- Bed is comfortable.
- Nice bar in lobby.
- Large windows with good light.
- I got the most basic room and it was tiny. The bathroom in particular was tiny with barely any room around the single sink and only just enough room to close the door. Sink also didn't drain properly and there was just a bathtub/shower.
- Apathetic service. I came back to the hotel with a whole bunch of shopping bags. Three guys working the door didn't even bother to open the door. When I checked in, no offer to have any one help me with my bags.
- No key card required to access guest level floors from the elevator.
- Room service was dreadful and completely over priced. They charge a room delivery fee on top of tax and service. $40 for a soggy salad and an iced tea!!
- You can hear everything in the halls from your inside your room.
- Clearly not a business hotel as there is one single plug by the desk with no built in universal adaptor (but that's America for you) and no phone on the desk.
- Room is cleaned but not thoroughly. Plus the maid showed up at 8:10AM one morning to clean the room. Too early by any standard.
Tips: there are so many other hotel nearby that this doesn't have to be (and really should not be) the place to go to. Marriott and Westin are both nearby.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- An inspired fusion of old-world hotel elegance with distinctly contemporary energy and glamour, the nearly century-old CLIFT’s modern and daring sense of diversity perfectly captures the city’s spirit. Steps from Union Square shopping and the legendary Nob Hill, CLIFT is perfectly located for sightseeing, shopping and socializing. Designed by Philippe Starck, the soaring lobby contains one of the most eclectic furniture collections in all of California ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, Hotwire, Ctrip TA, HotelsClick, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Clift Hotel San Francisco reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Clift San Francisco
- San Francisco Clift Hotel