“Budget hotel dressed as a trendy boutique hotel”

Clift Hotel San Francisco
Ranked #72 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 13, 2013

I stayed at the Clift Hotel for 4 nights as I was attending a wedding at the hotel. Overall, the stay was okay but service and amenities were very basic. The building must be some old historic building because you can tell that it's been renovated and dressed up. This hotel wants to be a trendy chic boutique hotel and while the decorations and fixtures match that mantra the software is that of a budget hotel, just meeting the bare minimums.

Pros:
- Excellent location. Just 3 blocks from Union Square.
- Price was reasonable. I paid the wedding rate which was US$220++
- Large (albeit strange) walk in closet.
- Bed is comfortable.
- Nice bar in lobby.
- Large windows with good light.

Cons:
- I got the most basic room and it was tiny. The bathroom in particular was tiny with barely any room around the single sink and only just enough room to close the door. Sink also didn't drain properly and there was just a bathtub/shower.
- Apathetic service. I came back to the hotel with a whole bunch of shopping bags. Three guys working the door didn't even bother to open the door. When I checked in, no offer to have any one help me with my bags.
- No key card required to access guest level floors from the elevator.
- Room service was dreadful and completely over priced. They charge a room delivery fee on top of tax and service. $40 for a soggy salad and an iced tea!!
- You can hear everything in the halls from your inside your room.
- Clearly not a business hotel as there is one single plug by the desk with no built in universal adaptor (but that's America for you) and no phone on the desk.
- Room is cleaned but not thoroughly. Plus the maid showed up at 8:10AM one morning to clean the room. Too early by any standard.

Tips: there are so many other hotel nearby that this doesn't have to be (and really should not be) the place to go to. Marriott and Westin are both nearby.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank LittleEinNY
There are newer reviews for Clift Hotel San Francisco

Reviewed July 13, 2013

It's quite a stunning building and interior!!! Some very interesting designer pieces both in the rooms and public areas but don't be put off by the lack of natural light in the lobby.
We were upgraded to a Junior Suite as we were celebrating our 30th Anniversary, what a fabulous light and airy room, really comfortable bed and sitting area. Our only criticism was the lack of coffee making facilities in the room. A lovely coffee machine and pods were provided on request but not refreshed every day, we had to call room service to get supplies which for a hotel of this calibre, I do not think is acceptable. When we brought this to their attention in their survey, we received a very nice e mail apology and an offer of an upgrade on our next stay.
We had our Anniversary meal in the Velvet Room, stunning food and beautiful service, we were made to feel very special and cared for. Beautiful surroundings for a celebration.
Great location, a very short walk from Union Square and great transport links, including cable cars, lots of art galleries nearby too.
We will definitely choose the Clift again.

Room Tip: At the back of the hotel is quiter
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
CliftFOM, Manager at Clift Hotel San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2013

Hi Kelly,

I want to thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at the Clift. I am happy to hear the location of the Clift were satisfactory as well as the service you received from the Clift staff. I would like to apology once more about refreshing of your coffee pods. I hope you will consider staying with us the next time you visit San Francisco!

Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

The service was fantastic. The concierge secured tickets for us after much calling around. The rooms had torn curtains, broken lights. The bathroom vent sprayed dust all over the bathroom! Not a hotel for families.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank parksideMelbourne
CliftFOM, Manager at Clift Hotel San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2013

ParksideMelbourne,

I want to thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at the Clift. I am happy to hear our service at Clift were satisfactory. I hope you will consider staying with us the next time you visit San Francisco!

Reviewed July 11, 2013

We loved this hotel! Stayed here for a week whilst we explored the city and beyond. If you're looking for a stylish hotel where you feel pampered without paying top dollar, stay here! It's a large hotel, but due to clever design and excellent service, it feels like a small boutique. The bar and restaurant are both a decadent treat and the barman recommended some excellent local restaurants which are off the tourist trail. As Brits, we notice the lack of tea facilities in USA hotel bedrooms (!), but fear not as self-serve fresh coffee is available in the lobby every morning! We loved the walk-in closet in the bedroom, and the infinity mirrors make what is an average (but ample) sized room appear huge!

There is a diner across the road for breakfast, lunch and dinner - fantastic food. A short walk takes you to the Powell Street station, connecting you to the rest of the city and beyond. Union Square is a couple of blocks away, from which you can catch the historic tram cars. Really pleased with our choice to stay here and we'd love to return!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
CliftFOM, Front Office Manager at Clift Hotel San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Hi Leanora,

I want to thank you for your feedback regarding recent stay at the Clift. I am happy to hear the location of the Clift were satisfactory as well as the service you received from the Clift staff. I hope you will consider staying with us the next time you visit San Francisco!

Reviewed July 10, 2013

Stayed here one short night on the tail end of a week long trip. My husband has stayed here many times for business so I knew he liked it. We had a junior suite. Tons of light, space, and great bed. Uber modern furniture...some people will like this and some will not. Did not really like bathroom set up but it was fine for one night. Check in was kind of bizarre. We did not have a reservation so when we finally had our turn in line she made us wait until all the people behind us got checked in first. Took over an hour. Guess you get a priority if you prebook. Front desk in general was not the best. Pretty scattered. Doormen were great however. Really great bar and restaurant and servers. Location of hotel can't be beat. Great prices. We will be back.

1  Thank bobolito

Hi bobolito,

I want to thank you for the feedback you wrote regarding your recent stay at the Clift. I want to apologize for the front desk service you received when you last stayed with us. We strive to ensure our guests have an exceptional guest experience during their travels and we fell short of our goal this time. Please feel free to contact me during your next stay and I would love to offer you a Suite upgrade.

Pam

Reviewed July 9, 2013

Great hotel right in the heart of San Francisco. Three blocks to Union Square, two blocks to Powell(cable car straight to Fish. Wharf), a straight walk down Geary to Market and then a further couple of blocks to the Embarcargo. Fantastic Decor, great rooms, very, very quiet considering its location and very professional courteous and knowledgeable staff.

Could not and would not recommend another hotel in SF and when back will always stay there!

Room Tip: Rooms don't have wine glasses or tea and coffee making facilities but you can ring room service...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Hi Adam G,

I want to thank you for the positive feedback you wrote regarding your recent stay at the Clift. I was happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay in San Francisco, and I hope you consider staying at the Clift during your next visit!

Please feel free to contact me if you ever need anything!

Reviewed July 9, 2013

We stayed at the Clift in San Fran for 2 nights, it was our first visit to the city & the hotel was in a great spot in Union Square for shops, bars & restaurants. It was a short cab ride to Fishermans wharf. The room was quite spacious although a little dated. The staff were very helpful with everything we needed & it was much appreciated. I would stay here again of the rate was reasonable.