$267
$248
HolidayInn.com
$189
Savings alert! 19% below average rates

The price you found is 19% lower than this hotel's average rate of $233/night.

$380
$207
$214
InterContinental
Savings alert! 33% below average rates

The price you found is 33% lower than this hotel's average rate of $293/night.

$221
InterContinental
Savings alert! 37% below average rates

The price you found is 37% lower than this hotel's average rate of $315/night.

$210
Savings alert! 25% below average rates

The price you found is 25% lower than this hotel's average rate of $264/night.

$240
$206
Hilton.com
  • Bar/Lounge
Savings alert! 28% below average rates

The price you found is 28% lower than this hotel's average rate of $285/night.

Omni San Francisco Hotel(San Francisco)
$241
$215
Savings alert! 46% below average rates

The price you found is 46% lower than this hotel's average rate of $399/night.

Fairmont San Francisco(San Francisco)
$475
$220
Savings alert! 39% below average rates

The price you found is 39% lower than this hotel's average rate of $363/night.

$280
$225
Orbitz.com
Savings alert! 34% below average rates

The price you found is 34% lower than this hotel's average rate of $343/night.

3,813 results
All reviewsredwood roomredwood barphilippe starckunion squaretrendy hotelgeary streethotel barjunior suitetenderloinlobby arealocation is greatvalet parkingcorner roomtwo blockshipsfconcierge
Reviewed July 5, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel a few times in the past. How did I not notice the extremely thin walls? Last night I could hear a baby coughing fairly softly upstairs and was awakened at 7am by baby laughing and playing. It sounded as if she were in our room. Cute maybe but not at 7am. Tonight I can clearly hear the baby upstairs and the people next door, discussing his frustration with a tie followed by her telephone convo. It sounds like they are also in our room.

Also, our room is very very cold. The heat is not working. Maintenance came to look but it seems that it heats up at first and turns back to cold air after a while, and unfortunately after he left. So I called for extra blankets. After 2 hours and 3 calls, we got the blankets and as long as we stay under them, we're warm.

I will say the staff is friendly, the decor is nice, bar is cool, price and location are good. However the thin walls can't be fixed and I like to sleep in. I don't plan to return.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank MWhirl
CliftFOM, Front Office Manager at The Clift Royal Sonesta Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Hi MWhirl,

I want to thank you for your valuable feedback regarding your recent stay at the Clift. We strive to ensure our guests have an exceptional guest experience during their travels and we fell short of our goal this time. Please feel free to contact me during your next stay and I would love to offer you a Suite upgrade.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

I REALLY wanted to like this place!... But try as they might, they need some SERIOUS help! Let me start off with the entrance into the hotel before I get to my horrible room experience. First and foremost, when you have 4 greeters/door attendants you would think you would not have to open the door yourself... WRONG! As my partner and I stumbled through a set of 2 very heavy glass doors with our luggage catching as we tried to make our way through. And did any of those 4 people ask if they could help or do anything???... Nope, they continued to chat about whatever they were talking to each-other about...

The check-in was smooth and they hostess was very nice, but I still had a bad taste in my mouth from the rude entrance experience. I decided to shrug it off and enjoy our stay like we had planned. My partner and I got into our room and I had to use the restroom so I walked into the restroom and low and behold we had used toilet paper on both dispensers. I then had to take a shower because of how hot it was that day and noticed that the water was overflowing because the drain was clogged. I then went to wash myself and all of the toiletries had been used. The lotion lid was crusted over. I immediately told my partner to call the front desk and see if we could transfer to another room. And sure enough the phone was broken! At this point, I am beyond turned off by this hotel. I would have demanded a refund and would have stayed at another hotel, but it was Pride Weekend and there were no rooms available anywhere.

So after finding out that the phone was broken my partner had to go down to the front desk and ask for something to be done. We were told to move into another room because my partner had to take a shower as well. We moved all of our stuff to the other room and he was able to take a shower, but was surrounded by molded grouting in the shower and yet again the toiletries were used and the toilet paper was not a new roll. We were told to leave our luggage in the room and we would have a different room when we got back that we would be pleased with.

When we returned at 7pm at night the room was still not ready and we were given 2 free coupons to have a drink at the bar, which was not helpful because our check-in time was 2:30! We decided to not use the voucher and waited until our room was ready and our luggage was moved over. Once we finally got to our room at 7:30 at night we were still not impressed at all! Especially after everything we had been through.

The restrooms were not kept up, we had used toilet paper again, the shampoo was used, and the room was not well put together at all. It felt like a very sad room. Barley any furniture! The seat at the end of the bed had a burn hole in it and was pretty much black (original color being tan) and the plastic chair in the room closest to the restroom was covered in dust, along with all the windowsills.

I didn't even have to pay the suite price and I would have been livid if I had paid full price for it. Like I said, I really wanted to enjoy our stay, but next time I will skip this hotel and go with the hotels that I know have wonderful rooms for the exact same cost and within a 4 block radius.

• Stayed: June 2013
4  Thank Shanehoff8

Hi Shane Hoff,

I want to thank you for taking the time in providing valuable feedback regarding your recent stay at the Clift.

I want to apologize for the experience you had regarding the hotel room switches and the lack of bathroom upkeep and cleanliness.

We strive to ensure our guests have an exceptional guest experience during their travels and we fell short of our goal this time. I hope you continue to choose Morgans Hotel Group for your next visit to the Bay area. Please feel free to contact me or the Manager on Duty if you have any further questions or comments concerning your stay.

Reviewed July 3, 2013

Hotel is quite striking (if not a little dark) when you enter reception. It is very dark and moody with some quite unique touches and buckets of ambience.
We were upgraded to a superior room and it was sizeable. All the usual facilities you would expect with a TV, large mirrors and a free safe in the wardrobe. The bed was large and very comfortable.
The bathroom was quite small but not somewhere that we spent too much time!
Very well placed for Union Square with a number of bars and restaurants on the same street as the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Louise H

Hi Louise,

I want to thank you for your valuable feedback regarding your recent stay at the Clift. We strive for all our guests to have a positive and exceptional experience and I was happy to hear your stay pleasing.

I hope you consider staying at the Clift the next time you are in San Francisco and to please feel free to contact me during your next stay and I would love to offer you a Suite upgrade.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

I have reviewed the Clift Hotel in San Francisco previously and have always had outstanding service by really exceptional employees......but this time.....I was blown away! We checked in early on a very busy Saturday and had the amazing good fortune to have Buck Esguerra, the night manager, check us in at the front desk. Not only did he have a room available for us, he upgraded us to an absolutely stunning room on the 12th floor! What a treat especially for my companion who had the good fortune of visiting the Clift for the first time. Buck also graciously gave us a coupon for two drinks at the always beautiful Redwood Room which was as wonderful as ever. But.....what Buck did after that was just unbelievable ......When learning we were going to the Pride Parade the next day, he gave us complimentary Grandstand Tickets so we could enjoy the parade in an actual seat! How cool was that? Buck continues the tradition of having the very best people managing the very best hotel in San Francisco.....bar none! If that was not enough, we returned from dinner on Saturday night to find a wonderful fruit plate sitting in our room just waiting to be enjoyed from Erica. I mean....really....What hotel offers this kind of service any more? I've traveled the world and continue to find my friends at Clift Hotel to be the very best in every regard. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE THE CLIFT and would recommend it to anyone planning a stay in this beautiful city. Please, Clift....NEVER CHANGE.

Room Tip: Higher floors have great views and less street noise.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lisa F

Hi Lisa,

I want to thank you for your feedback regarding your stay during San Francisco's Pride weekend! I am so happy to hear you had a wonderful stay and the staff at Clift were able to exceed all your expectations.

I do look forward in seeing you return at the Clift for your next stay in San Francisco!

-Cheers,
Pam

Reviewed July 2, 2013

Checked into the Clift for the first time for a one night stay in SF. Arrived Wedneday before noon and gave the car over to the valet parking when I arrived. Unlimited in-and-out privileges, but about $60/day. It was worth it for me.

As mentioned in other reviews, the lobby is decorated in quite an unusual way. First off - it is kept very dark - all the time. High ceilings and dark and oversized furniture round out the package. It took my eyes a couple of minutes to adjust to the darkness. Check-in was quick and painless and much to my surprise my room was ready (I was there about 11am).

The room continued the unusual decor theme. My room was in light purple and appeared to have been remodeled recently. The room was decent sized and the bathroom was OK. I did not notice any appreciable street noise and I slept well in the bed. Standard cable TV setup. Wifi available in the room but at a $15/day charge. My wireless access worked for me just fine.

The location is terrific if you are taking in a show at the Curran Theater (1 blk away) or wandering around Union Square. Could not ask for a better location. Close but not too close.

I thought the price was reasonable considering it is SF and the great location ($220 before valet parking.) Wandered through the huge bar but did not partake.

Overall great location, interesting decor, and reasonable price with valet parking. Recommended.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo