3,849 results
All reviewsredwood roomredwood barphilippe starckunion squaretrendy hotelgeary streetroom servicehotel barjunior suitetenderloinlobby arealocation is greatvalet parkingcorner roomtwo blockshipsf
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Hotel is quite striking (if not a little dark) when you enter reception. It is very dark and moody with some quite unique touches and buckets of ambience.
We were upgraded to a superior room and it was sizeable. All the usual facilities you would expect with a TV, large mirrors and a free safe in the wardrobe. The bed was large and very comfortable.
The bathroom was quite small but not somewhere that we spent too much time!
Very well placed for Union Square with a number of bars and restaurants on the same street as the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Louise H
CliftFOM, Front Office Manager at The Clift Royal Sonesta Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Hi Louise,

I want to thank you for your valuable feedback regarding your recent stay at the Clift. We strive for all our guests to have a positive and exceptional experience and I was happy to hear your stay pleasing.

I hope you consider staying at the Clift the next time you are in San Francisco and to please feel free to contact me during your next stay and I would love to offer you a Suite upgrade.

Cheers,
-Pam

Reviewed July 2, 2013

I have reviewed the Clift Hotel in San Francisco previously and have always had outstanding service by really exceptional employees......but this time.....I was blown away! We checked in early on a very busy Saturday and had the amazing good fortune to have Buck Esguerra, the night manager, check us in at the front desk. Not only did he have a room available for us, he upgraded us to an absolutely stunning room on the 12th floor! What a treat especially for my companion who had the good fortune of visiting the Clift for the first time. Buck also graciously gave us a coupon for two drinks at the always beautiful Redwood Room which was as wonderful as ever. But.....what Buck did after that was just unbelievable ......When learning we were going to the Pride Parade the next day, he gave us complimentary Grandstand Tickets so we could enjoy the parade in an actual seat! How cool was that? Buck continues the tradition of having the very best people managing the very best hotel in San Francisco.....bar none! If that was not enough, we returned from dinner on Saturday night to find a wonderful fruit plate sitting in our room just waiting to be enjoyed from Erica. I mean....really....What hotel offers this kind of service any more? I've traveled the world and continue to find my friends at Clift Hotel to be the very best in every regard. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE THE CLIFT and would recommend it to anyone planning a stay in this beautiful city. Please, Clift....NEVER CHANGE.

Room Tip: Higher floors have great views and less street noise.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lisa F

Hi Lisa,

I want to thank you for your feedback regarding your stay during San Francisco's Pride weekend! I am so happy to hear you had a wonderful stay and the staff at Clift were able to exceed all your expectations.

I do look forward in seeing you return at the Clift for your next stay in San Francisco!

-Cheers,
Pam

Reviewed July 2, 2013

Checked into the Clift for the first time for a one night stay in SF. Arrived Wedneday before noon and gave the car over to the valet parking when I arrived. Unlimited in-and-out privileges, but about $60/day. It was worth it for me.

As mentioned in other reviews, the lobby is decorated in quite an unusual way. First off - it is kept very dark - all the time. High ceilings and dark and oversized furniture round out the package. It took my eyes a couple of minutes to adjust to the darkness. Check-in was quick and painless and much to my surprise my room was ready (I was there about 11am).

The room continued the unusual decor theme. My room was in light purple and appeared to have been remodeled recently. The room was decent sized and the bathroom was OK. I did not notice any appreciable street noise and I slept well in the bed. Standard cable TV setup. Wifi available in the room but at a $15/day charge. My wireless access worked for me just fine.

The location is terrific if you are taking in a show at the Curran Theater (1 blk away) or wandering around Union Square. Could not ask for a better location. Close but not too close.

I thought the price was reasonable considering it is SF and the great location ($220 before valet parking.) Wandered through the huge bar but did not partake.

Overall great location, interesting decor, and reasonable price with valet parking. Recommended.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Let me give you some context for my stay at the Clift, I feel it's an important part of the writing process to provide a context. After all, isn’t that what authors do, even those of reviews? Give you a lens with which to see a thing anew?

I was at the Clift for research. As a writer, which I have said I am, every gig counts theses days. Writing copy for the backs of dog food bags, for off-brand air freshener, “Morning mist of lilies bring nostalgia to air” (It was solely meant for Chinese restaurants in middle America. The owners of the brand felt clunky sentence structure leant the product authenticity. Finally! A legitimate use for the dangling modifier!) or for politico blogging. I leapt at the chance to travel to San Francisco to write for a line of artisanal, bespoke fortune cookies started up by a pair of waif-ish Brooklynites each sporting the same long stringy blonde hair, no relation.

The Clift proved to be an excellent base for my trip, ostensibly to research the plight of Chinese migrant rail workers, who the ladies thought originated “fortunes” but really it was perfect for me to work on my memoir.

The Clift has a lovely wood paneled bar downstairs called The Redwood Room. Cozy up with an old fashioned and try to reel in one of the attractive ladies. Perfect for a self important young writer to cast a line but lure no ladies in, at least that first night. The Clift stocks the best Malin + Geotz products and I made use of all of the shampoo for a mini-bar fueled marathon bubble bath. Thank you for the iPod dock stereo. It furthered my comfort, letting me indulge in my guilty pleasure, Sum 41. There's something about the late 90’s that’s soothing to me.

The furniture is all beautifully designed by Philippe Starck. A sleigh bed whose potential for amorous leverage would not go to waste on this trip. A pure white arm chair nestled in the corner. A modernist Louis XIV bench and the aforementioned mini-bar combination TV stand. It's a wonder that they got all of this in the room seeing as it must have been a grand total of 264 sq ft. Kudos to the ingenious designer who crammed all that tasteful furniture in as well as covering both walls with mirrors. Perfect for giving the illusion of space and also for a narcissist who can't help but gaze into every reflective surface to fuss with his hair until its just so. They even included curtains for if you have body image issues or are afraid of the Candyman or something. Those curtains remained open for the duration of my stay.

I did get out to do some research and the ever attentive staff called me a cab. Eating at Mission Chinese counts as research. I spent most days either at the bar or tucked into my well apportioned room writing the story of a beleaguered adolescent coming of age in the Cleveland suburbs whose passion is ignited by a sandwich that has the fries in the sandwich. It's really the only thing Cleveland has going for it other than the proliferation of 10 cent wing nights.

The sheets were white and comfortable to me. When I did finally entice a woman up, she informed me that they were “no less than 600 but no more than 800 thread count Egyptian cotton” as if there weren't any other kind. I did not invite her back, though we had our one blissful night where I got to observe myself in action ad infinitum, thanks to those clever mirrors.

On waking we enjoyed the basket of pastries and coffee delivered by that attentive staff again. Both were very, very good but at $42 not worth picking up the phone for unless you are trying to avoid another conversation about linens. Yes, the towels are luxurious and the size of sheets. It was as if this woman was making her bridal registry off just one night at the Clift. That's how good this hotel is.

I would recommend the Clift and I would return since the hotel inspired the sum total of my work: “Neon means you're unique” The fortune cookie company is in Brooklyn after all.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 29, 2013

The Clift is really nice on first glance - the bar is great and the lobby and furnishings quirky and interesting. I stayed in two different rooms during my stay but both had similar issues. The bathroom in the first room was starting to look very worn and tired. The worst thing was the thin walls in both rooms - this made for a few quite uncomfortable nights. People were partying either side at the weekends and, during the week, even just casual conversations next door came right through the walls making it really difficult to get to sleep. As a result, the stay was not relaxing at all.

Room Tip: Request a high-floor room - traffic noise is very loud
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business