“dont recomend!!!!!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Mexico City, Mexico
“dont recomend!!!!!”
Reviewed January 15, 2013

we just went for my birthday on january 7, service was slow and terrible at the restaurant, bathrooms old: bath tub brooken, toilet didnt flush, bell boy never showed.... so expensive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! dont recomend!!! terrible

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank monica o
CliftFOM, Front Office Manager at Clift Hotel San Francisco, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Hello Monica O,

I am so sorry for your disappointing stay and would love the opportunity to speak with you, as it sounds like we failed you on multiple levels. I see that the bathroom was not in the shape we would expect and the restaurant was not up to our standards..How was the service from the front desk?

Ian

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (552)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Cape Coral, Florida
Reviewed January 14, 2013

I'm a bit remiss in this review, as I had the pleasure of staying at the Clift for a conference last August. I had been in contact with their manager, David, prior to arrival, and he ensured that everything was brilliant for me from checkin to checkout. The location was perfect for walking trips to Union Square and The Embarcadero, jaunts by trolley to Fisherman's Wharf, car service to Sausalito (I use Uber!), and public transport to Golden Gate Park. The room was clean and comfortable, with very little outside noise pollution. There was ample space to unpack and get comfortable for my week stay, and everyone I encountered on the staff was extremely friendly. The bathroom was small, but clean, and I even enjoyed a bath or two without trepidation! This was one of the most relaxing experiences I've had in a hotel, and I have to say much of it was due to great management. Thank you David, and thank you Morgans Hotel, for yet another great experience. There's a reason why your chain is one of my favorites, and I look forward to staying at the Clift again soon!

Room Tip: Try to get up higher and more "interior" to get away from street and lobby noise.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Hello Tara C,

Thanks for your thoughtful review on Tripadvisor. We appreciate your business and I am beyond excited that you found everything to be up to both of our expectations and standards. Please come again soon.

Lijiang, China
Reviewed January 10, 2013

I just spend Chirsimas in San Fransisco with my family, this was the second time we stayed in this hotel, and when we return to the Bay City area we will probably stay there again, as we were very happy during our stay on both ocasions.

It is a very stylish hotel with a very unique and conventional look and feel, the feel of the long hallways with mirrors and designer chairs, and even the decoration of the rooms gave me a feel that reminded me of a David Lynch or Stanley Kubrick movie, now that is not exactly cozy and it may not appeal to everyone, but if you are looking for a unique hotel with it's own personality and feel this is a good place.

The bar is amazing just being there makes you feel like you are hanging with the jet set, I must say that all the hostesses were gorgeous and a bit flirty that was probaly the main reasons that kept me coming back to their watering hole, but drinks were very good and they had some very nice original concotions, and the place was always packed with what seemed as very cool and fashionable people.

The location is unbeatable and e service is quite good, all in all a very nice high end hotel, my only complaint was the restaurant, we went there for dinner one day, and the food was very mediocre, not terrible or anything but not good especially not worth it for the prices you pay, I was quite disappointed as last time we were there the restaurant Asia de Cuba used to be there and it was really, really good, unfortunately it is gone now.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
CliftFOM, Front Office Manager at Clift Hotel San Francisco, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Hello David R,

Thank you very much for your great review on our unique property. I am happy you enjoyed yourself and it seems as if the Redwood Room treated you well. We all hope to see you soon.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed January 9, 2013

This hotel was very clean, stylish and well located.
As an animal lover I found it ironic that pets of all shapes and sizes are welcome, yet the lobby area has massive pieces of dead animals skins, etc displayed....hmmm.
Although the restaurant atmosphere is absolutely stunning with a fantastic ambience, my friend and I got food poisening from the eggs we ate at breakfast. There were three of us and two ate the eggs, shortly after we were very ill.....all day riding the porceline train in the bathroom!!
Needless to say, the staff acknowledged our complaint and knocked off about $150 from our bill on checkout.
I wouldn't let the egg experience ruin such a lovely stay though, and you couldn't ask for a better location either!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Hey Chilli,

Thanks for your review! I am happy you enjoyed yourself. I am sorry about the eggs and I am completely shocked to read that, but I am happy we worked everything out and you found the service to be up to both of our standards. I hope to see you soon.

Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Great swanky hotel. The rooms are interesting in a "not over furnished" way. The location is perfect, close to all of the shopping and great restaurants. The lobby has a nice area to hang out in. My bathroom was tiny, but clean and updated.

Room Tip: Try and ask for a room with a larger bathroom.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Hello Leo1211,

Thanks for the 5 star review! We appreciate the feedback and I am happy you enjoyed yourself. You are right, the bathrooms are on the tinier side but not any smaller than typical New York/San Francisco old property bathrooms. We hope to see you soon.

New York City, New York
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Spent two nights here with my wife and our 5 year old. We had a suite with 2 twin beds. The room was OK, nothing special, and the bathrooms was very tiny, even by NYC standards. The door to the bathroom opened directly onto the toilet, which was also weird.

The fitness center was tiny and needed some updating as well as some additional equipment.

The highlight was the Redwood Room. What an amazing bar! Right out of The Shinning...

I've stayed in several of Ian's hotels, so I was really expecting this to be something special, but it just wasn't.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Hello Ncoutroulis,

Thanks for your review. I was disappointed to see you give us 3 stars and even more disappointed you did not seem to enjoy your stay. Feel free to reach out to us about your stay as we would like the opportunity to see how we failed you. We have such a unique, special property and I am shocked you did not get to experience this.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed January 9, 2013

I travel a lot -- both for work and for leisure. In my 15+ years of staying at luxury hotels, the Clift Hotel was the first time I've felt like I've been discriminated against and disrespected -- after paying for the full rate. It started with a complaint about us having the radio on. We immediately turned it off -- FULL COOPERATION. Then, the bouncers showed up at our hotel room and threatened to call the cops. We told them we had turned off the music completely per their request, and they then gratuitously said that we couldn't "talk" either. We then told them that the music was off and we could talk in soft voices and they said they would "stand outside our room and make sure that we understood what they were saying." Basically because we were Asian and Southeast Asian.

We are executives of Fortune 500 companies and used to staying at the best and being treated to the best. We were more than gracious to them and have never been treated to such discrimination or disrespect. Needless to say, we will NEVER be back to the Clift Hotel EVER AGAIN and will be happy to take our business and money elsewhere. Warning to folks "pick and choose your battles" is still very much a part of life here in the real world... especially when you stay at the Clift Hotel.

Room Tip: Expect discrimination against minorities, expect to pay top dollar for sub-par respect
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Emily C
Hello Audreywalters,

If you would not mind contacting the hotel about your stay we would greatly appreciate it. You have mentioned some VERY heavy allegations about discrimination, and we take this very seriously. We do not stand for that as a hotel, as a company, or as people and I can assure you there was miscommunication.