“Mediocre” 3 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Brisbane, Australia
“Mediocre”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2012

Arrived the hotel prior to check in time, the friendly receptionist was kind enough to let us check in early. However the room we were allocated was on the 16th floor right next to the elevator. And it was a interconnectiong room with a non-sound proof door, so you can hear what channel TV next door was watching. We were too tired to complaint until much later the day, we realised that during the day the elevator seems okay but at night it made a weird loud noise consistently all night, it was impossible for anyone to sleep, so we called the reception, they seems aware the noise problem on the 16th floor, and immediately moved us to 4th floor, far away from the elevator which we really appreciated.

The 2nd night we were there, the fire alarm went off in the midnight. It was not uncommon in a hotel, and most time it was false alarm, however the delayed announcement over the radio was quite confusing, and the reception line was unable to get through, so we were quite worried, so were a lot other people.

The hotel lobby was very dark but I guess it was the theme they were going for.
And i think it must be an American thing, the room does not come with complimentary tea & coffee maker, so you cant make a cup of tea in the cold winter night. not the hotel prob, just FYI.

Otherwise, the hotel was in a good location with lots restaurant near by, walking distance to union square and the market street.

Room Tip: Do not stay on 16th floor. (strong paint smell & extremely noisy) And stay away from elevator.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mrs_Nomad2012
CliftFOM, Front Office Manager at Clift Hotel San Francisco, responded to this review, December 23, 2012
Hello Mrs LS D,

Thanks for your response on tripadvisor. I understand the frustration you must have felt with the fire alarm, completely reasonable, however I hope we made it up to you. As far as your first room, I apologize for the inconvenience of having to move rooms and I can assure you I notified engineering to look into the noise you described. Please reach out to me if you wish to discuss your stay, as I would like the opportunity to prove to you we offer a great experience here at Clift.

Ian F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (543)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

The hotel has a legendary bar which is worth a trip even if you are not a hotel guest.
Great location close to Union Sq.
Hotel rooms are nice and comfortable.
I have stayed several times over the last few years and the standard has been consistently good. My last trip was slightly spoiled by a false fire alarm going off at 4AM on Saturday morning. On the positive side I can confirm that there is absolutely no danger of sleeping through the fire alarm.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank pjh50
Dear Pjh50,

Thank you for your positive review. I am happy that our exceptional service and legendary bar outweighed the understandably frustrating fire alarm mishap. Please come again soon.

Ian F.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2012 via mobile

I will agree with some of the negative posts on here. When you enter the beautifully designed lobby, you suddenly have high expectations for the rooms. Then when you get there, they somewhat disappoint, fine, just not anything special. The walls are also surprisingly thin, and I do regret to say my room wasn't quite as clean as it could have been. However, I was always treated with the upmost courtesy by the staff, the redwood room, though expensive, is a must for everyone visiting San Francisco, and the location is pretty much perfect. San Francisco is quite an expensive city, so with all that in mind, I would recommend the CLIFT, I just hope they might consider making those few small improvements.

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank ServiceInspector
Hello Serviceinspector,

Thanks for the positive review you provided. Your feedback means everything to us and helps us to grow, so please know that we have considered everything you said. I am happy the service was up to both of our standards and please come visit soon.

Scotts Valley, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

I've stayed at the CLIFT several times over the years, on both business and pleasure, and it's always been near to perfect. This last trip was a combination of business and pleasure over a Friday and Saturday night. My husband and I stayed in a Loft King; previously I'd always stayed in a Standard.
The Loft Kings are much bigger (the Standards have the same high ceilings but are small), with a large seating area, coffee table and a decent hallway. There are also two tables/desks at which you could work. We had a corner room so there was lots of natural light from the huge windows. They also now have Malin & Goetz toiletries - fabulous!
We had dinner early without a reservation on the Friday night (dinner starts at 5.30pm) and though the maitre d' was less than polite, the service was otherwise excellent. Reservations strongly recommended for the dining room and for the Red Room later on on a Friday and Saturday nights.
The staff were very friendly and helpful - the valet coming out in the rain with an umbrella to guide us from the side entrance where the taxi driver dropped us off to where we could get in!

Unfortunately there's no gluten free menu as such but they will make anything for you gluten-free. No gluten-free pancakes at breakfast though :-/ They do have oatmeal (though it isn't strictly gluten-free). One foodie complaint is that the room service menu is quite small. The breakfast room-service menu is comprehensive though.

Overall I have two issues -
1) Whenever you contact the CLIFT via email or through the website they NEVER respond. Best to give them a call.
2) The CLIFT's website states it's a 20minute ride from SFO and costs around $45. This is correct if you leave for SFO at 6am on a Sunday morning. If you arrive at SFO at 5pm on a Friday night it will cost you ~$75 and 45mins (at least) to get to the CLIFT in a standard cab. FYI: the Clift valets will offer you a taxi service from the hotel for $55 to the airport - this is a good service with a fixed price and leaves immediately, with polite, professional drivers and clean, good quality cars, but if you are leaving at 6am on a Sunday it's not the cheapest option - hail a cab.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank GeorgeEliot64
Hello GeorgeEliot64,

Thank you for the detailed review and I will be sure to pass along to compliments on our service to the appropriate departments. I also will mention to the chef about your comment with the gluten free menu. I am noticing gluten free lifestyles more and more and that seems like a plausible thing to look into. Please come visit soon and happy holidays.

Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

Hotel was nice, staff was nice, location is great.

Trendy hotel, with vibrant bar scene which is cool. Rooms are nice enough, but i was disappointed that there was a fair amount of mildew on the caulk in the shower. The bathroom could have been much more nicely maintained in my opinion.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank kilroyc
Hello KilroyC,

Thanks for providing your feedback. We appreciate the response and I am happy you found most of your stay, including the service, to be up to both of our standards. I was bothered when reading about your bathroom, especially because had the front desk been notified at any point throughout your stay, we would have loved the opportunity to find alternative options for you, as this was certainly an exception. We hope you come back soon!

california
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

Let me begin by saying I usually love the Clift. Cool vibe, great drinks and food and the rooms are very modernistic. We recommend to everyone. It was the first place I thought of when scheduling a girls get away! Everyone was so excited after hearing me go on and on about the Clift. We arrived, checked in to our suite and got ready to go out! I didn't notice the state of the bathroom until I took a shower. The shower grout lines were full of mold and the shower drained so slow that I ended up staning in a foot of water. This is not the kind of quality I remember in the past. We went out and upon returning to our room the halls smelled so badly of marijuana that it was sickening. We finally got to bed but after listening to the neighbor's rap music playing at full volume for over two hours we decided to call security at 3 am. He turned his music off but continued to sing and rap so that we could hear every word until about 4 am. That is when the party really got started. We listened to women ( aka hookers??) scream about "Big Daddy" for another couple hours. At this point we gave up, got ready and went to breakfast! Not the relaxing mom's night away we were hoping for. We told the bellman about our night and he got our parking comped which was very nice but I will probably not return or recommend this hotel to anyone ever again. They need some serious updating and cosmetic fixes in order to compete with some of the other 4 stars in SF

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank hairdoday
Hello hairdoday,

Thanks for your feedback on tripadvisor. I am so sorry for the experience that you had and I can assure you that this was an exception, and not the standards we hold or you hold us to. I want the opportunity to speak with you about this so please do not hesitate to call the hotel.

Brussels, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

Staff is friendly and helpful, the hotel is well located near Union Square, the bar is loaded every night. The rooms are very large and well equiped. However, when I arrived it was a bit dirty. The decoration and accomodation of the room might be renewed, it's all a bit tired.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank playerone1
Hello playerone1,

Thank you for reviewing us on tripadvisor. I am happy you enjoyed your stay and our wonderful, historic Redwood Room. Please come visit us again soon. I did pass on to our housekeeping and engineering department the comment you made about the room condition. Thanks again.