“Magnificent”

Clift Hotel San Francisco
Ranked #72 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Came here with my girlfriend for a 4 day break, secound time in SF previously stayed at far inferior 5 star Hotel, Cant praise this hotel enough, wonderful staff, service and location and room, great design and v cool furnishings, a pleasure....not that I should be surprised always a pleasurable experience with Morgans Group, I recommend to all with fine taste, will definitely stay here in the future, Thanks All

Stayed: November 2012
CliftFOM, Front Office Manager at Clift Hotel San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2012

Hey Harvey Z,

Thank you for the awesome review on tripadvisor. You rock dude! We love guests such as yourself and I am so happy you had a great time. Please mention your review next time you stay with us, as all of us here would love to personally thank you and your girlfriend! We hope to see you soon.

Take care,

There are newer reviews for Clift Hotel San Francisco

Reviewed November 9, 2012 via mobile

Although this hotel is quite old, it has been well-maintained. The lobby gives you a relaxeing feeling with the lighting effect and lovely chairs. You will also notice the high-security in the gate and by the elevator as they always ensure that only residents get in. The room was really large and had nice view over the street. The only thing which I believe could have been done much better is the bathroom as it looks pretty old, though its clean.
The hotel is only 8 minutes walking distance to Union Street which is truly an adding-advantage.
I do recommend the hotel to everyone.

• Stayed: January 2012

Hello Ali A,

Thank you for reviewing us on Tripadvisor. I am so happy that you enjoy yourself here and that you reccomend us to fellow travelers. I hope you found our service to be exceptional and your accomodations comfortable. I am sorry about the bathroom conditions you found. Did you happen to mention this to anyone at the front desk? Please remember we are here for you 24/7 and would have loved the opportunity to show you alternative rooms. This building is old and back in the day, bathroom size was not an issue, especially downtown. I hope next time you visit we can turn that 3 star review into a 4 or 5.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

We loved our week at the Clift. Gorgeous dark lobby, cool mirrored lifts, serene rooms. We enjoyed the redwood bar, although the crowd could be a little mixed. Fantastic location, walk a couple of blocks to Union Square. Close enough to walk to Chinatown and North Beach, were there are great Italian restaurants and bars. We were on the 14th floor in a corner room, which had great city views and was of a good size. Ipod dock and cable tv. Smallish bathroom but very functional. Beds super comfortable and loved the long pillows. Helpful staff and very handsome doorboys!!

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room on a higher level
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
CliftFOM, Front Office Manager at Clift Hotel San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

Ms. CatherineWatson70,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! I am so pleased to read that you had a fantastic time here. You noticed our subtle touches, one of my favorite parts of the hotel. Rumor has it that our Redwood Room was made from one Redwood Tree that had fallen in a forest. Please come back and see us soon. Mention your tripadvisor review to any of the front desk managers before your stay, as we would like to thank you personally.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

After checking in in what must be the noisiest lobby I have ever encountered - the level of music from the bar was deafening. We asked for a room on the 27th floor (there isn't one!) but they gave us a large nice peaceful room with twin double beds on the 7th floor.
We slept very well in the very comfortable beds with cool linen & plenty of deep pillows. The room was clean, well fitted out with everything we needed - altho' I wasn't carried away with the bright orange perspex night tables - the only thing that gave away the hotel's age were the bathroom fittings.
The staff were very pleasant & helpful, the location is excellent near UnionSquare & the stop for the famous street/cable cars to Fisherman's Wharf is only a block away.
Bathroom noises may disturb the lightest of sleepers, otherwise it is a dignified hotel which fulfills its purpose very well.
TIP - check-in on your mobile/cell phone, that way you'll get FREE wifi access saving $14.99 per day.

Room Tip: Try & get a room to the back, upper levels as they are quieter (& away from the lobby!)
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank AMasterCutler

Hello AMasterCutler,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Clift. I am happy you enjoyed yourself, and I agree, the location is great! The lobby noise comes from our hotel bar, the beautiful Redwood Room. I hope you were able to stop in for a cocktail. I am happy the beds were comfortable, and I agree, as I have the same bedding at home! You mentioned the orange fixtures in the room. I wanted to share a bit of insight into the though process behind them. Everything in our lobby and rooms represent something. The orange bedside tables represent the Golden Gate Bridge towers. Did you notice the gold nugget in the room? It represents the 1849 gold rush. Please visit soon and give us a heads up before you arrive. I want the opportunity to personally thank you for the great review.

Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

This hotel was an unusual combination of good things and not so good things. The lobby is very attractive, filled with interesting, modern furniture. Coffee and tea was offered in the lobby, but the coffee was very old and contained grounds. The front desk personnel were not very helpful and were sometimes difficult to find. The restaurant opens at 7 AM, which is very inconvenient for early-morning travelers. There are very few restaurants open nearby, and those that are open are pretty grimy. The room was on the small side, though it was attractively made up. It was clean. The hallways are painted in an unusual lavender gray color, which has a stark, twilight zone quality. There is a very attractive meeting space on the 15th floor with beautiful views of the San Francisco skyline, particularly at night.

• Stayed: November 2012

Hello DZ7,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. I was very disappointed when reading your opinion on Tripadvisor. Although I was happy to read you liked the lobby, I was less than pleased about the experience you had with our staff. I can assure you that this was an exception, as our high service standards are at the forefront of this hotel. I want the opportunity to make this up to you. Next time you are visiting us, please reach out to myself or any front office manager before your stay and mention your review.

All the best,

Reviewed November 4, 2012

Very nice place. Excellent staff too. We had a "superior" room, which had a massive bed, iphone dock, cable tv, fridge, loads of room. Very well located close to Union Square, Chinatown, Market St, the BART, several bus routes. There's a very swanky bar in the lobby which is impressive, but left us a little cold. All in all, quite pricey but very good.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Hello Barcelumpy,

Thank you for reviewing us on Tripadvisor. I love our "massive" beds as well. They are so comfortable that I had to get one for my own home. The Redwood Room has been a institution for a very long time in San Francisco. I am happy you were able to enjoy it. Did you happen to notice the paintings on the wall with the "moving eyes?" Please come see us again soon and be sure to reach out to me before you do, as I would like to personally thank you for your great review.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

I recently stayed 3 nights at CLIFT. The hotel decor was different than any I've ever seen before. The room was clean with large windows, mirrors, and funky decor. The staff were friendly and very helpful with recommending restaurants, holding the doors, and answering any questions we had during our stay. The hotel is conveniently located a few blocks from Union Square and close to transit, restaurants, and shops.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business