“Classy Clift”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Wellington, New Zealand
“Classy Clift”
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We loved our week at the Clift. Gorgeous dark lobby, cool mirrored lifts, serene rooms. We enjoyed the redwood bar, although the crowd could be a little mixed. Fantastic location, walk a couple of blocks to Union Square. Close enough to walk to Chinatown and North Beach, were there are great Italian restaurants and bars. We were on the 14th floor in a corner room, which had great city views and was of a good size. Ipod dock and cable tv. Smallish bathroom but very functional. Beds super comfortable and loved the long pillows. Helpful staff and very handsome doorboys!!

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room on a higher level
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
CliftFOM, Front Office Manager at Clift Hotel San Francisco, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Ms. CatherineWatson70,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! I am so pleased to read that you had a fantastic time here. You noticed our subtle touches, one of my favorite parts of the hotel. Rumor has it that our Redwood Room was made from one Redwood Tree that had fallen in a forest. Please come back and see us soon. Mention your tripadvisor review to any of the front desk managers before your stay, as we would like to thank you personally.

Ian

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (549)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 6, 2012

After checking in in what must be the noisiest lobby I have ever encountered - the level of music from the bar was deafening. We asked for a room on the 27th floor (there isn't one!) but they gave us a large nice peaceful room with twin double beds on the 7th floor.
We slept very well in the very comfortable beds with cool linen & plenty of deep pillows. The room was clean, well fitted out with everything we needed - altho' I wasn't carried away with the bright orange perspex night tables - the only thing that gave away the hotel's age were the bathroom fittings.
The staff were very pleasant & helpful, the location is excellent near UnionSquare & the stop for the famous street/cable cars to Fisherman's Wharf is only a block away.
Bathroom noises may disturb the lightest of sleepers, otherwise it is a dignified hotel which fulfills its purpose very well.
TIP - check-in on your mobile/cell phone, that way you'll get FREE wifi access saving $14.99 per day.

Room Tip: Try & get a room to the back, upper levels as they are quieter (& away from the lobby!)
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank AMasterCutler
Hello AMasterCutler,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Clift. I am happy you enjoyed yourself, and I agree, the location is great! The lobby noise comes from our hotel bar, the beautiful Redwood Room. I hope you were able to stop in for a cocktail. I am happy the beds were comfortable, and I agree, as I have the same bedding at home! You mentioned the orange fixtures in the room. I wanted to share a bit of insight into the though process behind them. Everything in our lobby and rooms represent something. The orange bedside tables represent the Golden Gate Bridge towers. Did you notice the gold nugget in the room? It represents the 1849 gold rush. Please visit soon and give us a heads up before you arrive. I want the opportunity to personally thank you for the great review.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

This hotel was an unusual combination of good things and not so good things. The lobby is very attractive, filled with interesting, modern furniture. Coffee and tea was offered in the lobby, but the coffee was very old and contained grounds. The front desk personnel were not very helpful and were sometimes difficult to find. The restaurant opens at 7 AM, which is very inconvenient for early-morning travelers. There are very few restaurants open nearby, and those that are open are pretty grimy. The room was on the small side, though it was attractively made up. It was clean. The hallways are painted in an unusual lavender gray color, which has a stark, twilight zone quality. There is a very attractive meeting space on the 15th floor with beautiful views of the San Francisco skyline, particularly at night.

• Stayed November 2012
Hello DZ7,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. I was very disappointed when reading your opinion on Tripadvisor. Although I was happy to read you liked the lobby, I was less than pleased about the experience you had with our staff. I can assure you that this was an exception, as our high service standards are at the forefront of this hotel. I want the opportunity to make this up to you. Next time you are visiting us, please reach out to myself or any front office manager before your stay and mention your review.

All the best,

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Very nice place. Excellent staff too. We had a "superior" room, which had a massive bed, iphone dock, cable tv, fridge, loads of room. Very well located close to Union Square, Chinatown, Market St, the BART, several bus routes. There's a very swanky bar in the lobby which is impressive, but left us a little cold. All in all, quite pricey but very good.

Hello Barcelumpy,

Thank you for reviewing us on Tripadvisor. I love our "massive" beds as well. They are so comfortable that I had to get one for my own home. The Redwood Room has been a institution for a very long time in San Francisco. I am happy you were able to enjoy it. Did you happen to notice the paintings on the wall with the "moving eyes?" Please come see us again soon and be sure to reach out to me before you do, as I would like to personally thank you for your great review.

Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I recently stayed 3 nights at CLIFT. The hotel decor was different than any I've ever seen before. The room was clean with large windows, mirrors, and funky decor. The staff were friendly and very helpful with recommending restaurants, holding the doors, and answering any questions we had during our stay. The hotel is conveniently located a few blocks from Union Square and close to transit, restaurants, and shops.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Silverton, Oregon
Reviewed October 31, 2012

We love to stay in unique classy hotels. Just to get away from the kids and keep romance alive. Money is not an issue, cleanliness and class are what we want.
We were appalled. This hotel claimed to be newly renovated, yet all they did was paint over old wall paper. The wall paper was falling off in one corner of our room from water damage. One of the lamps had black electrical tape over the cord near the dimmer and also where it plugged into the wall.
The mini fridge kept everything luke warm. The sheets to our bed were too small and kept coming up from the foot of the bed and we had to keep taking it all apart to retuck the sheets.
The huge windows were covered in face prints and finger prints, obviously hadn't been wiped down after several uses.
The electric plugs were industrial boxes sitting on the walls, not normal recessed outlets with plastic covers. The toilet flusher is also industrial such as you would find in a mall or commercial building. Not even a normal toilet handle... No wall hangings, wall art, nothing.... seriously ? remodeled? Like I said... fresh pain, over wall paper.
The elevator control room must had been right near the headboard of our room, because we could hear it all night and morning, we had originally asked for a late check out at 1pm, but we actually checked out at 10am on Sunday morning because it was so loud. This is the earliest we have EVER checked out of a hotel. We will NEVER return or recommend to anyone!

I have two nice things to say... the staff was super nice and the towels were big and soft.

May I recommend The Inn Above the Tides, heck even a Holiday Inn has nicer rooms.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
1 Thank PamelaBall
john f, Front Office Manager at Clift Hotel San Francisco, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
PamelaBall,

On behalf of Clift, I would like to apologize for your experience. In your review, you covered a lot of areas, some of which are indicative of our hotels such as great service and our unique, minimalist design. Other areas of which you covered are not.

I would like to speak with you, at your earliest convenience, so we can review your stay one on one. We take a lot of pride in what we do and who we are, and we do so with passion for providing you with a great experience. I hope that we can work together in rebuilding that relationship so next time you stay, your TripAdvisor review will read much differently.

John
Tucson, Arizona, United States
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I've stayed just about everywhere in San Francisco and quite honestly, nothing compares to the beautiful, hip, super friendly, Clift. It's romantic, has the best place for a drink, the Redwood Room and is the perfect location. Don't waste your money staying any where else. The Clift is worth every penny and quite honestly is right in line with the other well known but somewhat "stuffy" upscale hotels. The beds, linens, bathrooms are all outstanding and spotlessly clean. I mean...it's "perfect"! Can't wait for my next visit in November.

Lisa F,

I "love, love, love" your review and we can't wait to have you back this month! I'm truly requesting a favor from you. Could you please reach out to David Rice, our amazing Guest Experience Manager, or myself? We would like to meet you and set you up with something special!

Best,