“A hotel with pluses and minuses”

Clift Hotel San Francisco
Ranked #72 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

This hotel was an unusual combination of good things and not so good things. The lobby is very attractive, filled with interesting, modern furniture. Coffee and tea was offered in the lobby, but the coffee was very old and contained grounds. The front desk personnel were not very helpful and were sometimes difficult to find. The restaurant opens at 7 AM, which is very inconvenient for early-morning travelers. There are very few restaurants open nearby, and those that are open are pretty grimy. The room was on the small side, though it was attractively made up. It was clean. The hallways are painted in an unusual lavender gray color, which has a stark, twilight zone quality. There is a very attractive meeting space on the 15th floor with beautiful views of the San Francisco skyline, particularly at night.

• Stayed: November 2012
CliftFOM, Front Office Manager at Clift Hotel San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

Hello DZ7,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. I was very disappointed when reading your opinion on Tripadvisor. Although I was happy to read you liked the lobby, I was less than pleased about the experience you had with our staff. I can assure you that this was an exception, as our high service standards are at the forefront of this hotel. I want the opportunity to make this up to you. Next time you are visiting us, please reach out to myself or any front office manager before your stay and mention your review.

All the best,

Ian

There are newer reviews for Clift Hotel San Francisco

Reviewed November 4, 2012

Very nice place. Excellent staff too. We had a "superior" room, which had a massive bed, iphone dock, cable tv, fridge, loads of room. Very well located close to Union Square, Chinatown, Market St, the BART, several bus routes. There's a very swanky bar in the lobby which is impressive, but left us a little cold. All in all, quite pricey but very good.

Hello Barcelumpy,

Thank you for reviewing us on Tripadvisor. I love our "massive" beds as well. They are so comfortable that I had to get one for my own home. The Redwood Room has been a institution for a very long time in San Francisco. I am happy you were able to enjoy it. Did you happen to notice the paintings on the wall with the "moving eyes?" Please come see us again soon and be sure to reach out to me before you do, as I would like to personally thank you for your great review.

Ian

Reviewed November 4, 2012

I recently stayed 3 nights at CLIFT. The hotel decor was different than any I've ever seen before. The room was clean with large windows, mirrors, and funky decor. The staff were friendly and very helpful with recommending restaurants, holding the doors, and answering any questions we had during our stay. The hotel is conveniently located a few blocks from Union Square and close to transit, restaurants, and shops.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 31, 2012

We love to stay in unique classy hotels. Just to get away from the kids and keep romance alive. Money is not an issue, cleanliness and class are what we want.
We were appalled. This hotel claimed to be newly renovated, yet all they did was paint over old wall paper. The wall paper was falling off in one corner of our room from water damage. One of the lamps had black electrical tape over the cord near the dimmer and also where it plugged into the wall.
The mini fridge kept everything luke warm. The sheets to our bed were too small and kept coming up from the foot of the bed and we had to keep taking it all apart to retuck the sheets.
The huge windows were covered in face prints and finger prints, obviously hadn't been wiped down after several uses.
The electric plugs were industrial boxes sitting on the walls, not normal recessed outlets with plastic covers. The toilet flusher is also industrial such as you would find in a mall or commercial building. Not even a normal toilet handle... No wall hangings, wall art, nothing.... seriously ? remodeled? Like I said... fresh pain, over wall paper.
The elevator control room must had been right near the headboard of our room, because we could hear it all night and morning, we had originally asked for a late check out at 1pm, but we actually checked out at 10am on Sunday morning because it was so loud. This is the earliest we have EVER checked out of a hotel. We will NEVER return or recommend to anyone!

I have two nice things to say... the staff was super nice and the towels were big and soft.

May I recommend The Inn Above the Tides, heck even a Holiday Inn has nicer rooms.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
1  Thank PamelaBall
john f, Front Office Manager at Clift Hotel San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2012

PamelaBall,

On behalf of Clift, I would like to apologize for your experience. In your review, you covered a lot of areas, some of which are indicative of our hotels such as great service and our unique, minimalist design. Other areas of which you covered are not.

I would like to speak with you, at your earliest convenience, so we can review your stay one on one. We take a lot of pride in what we do and who we are, and we do so with passion for providing you with a great experience. I hope that we can work together in rebuilding that relationship so next time you stay, your TripAdvisor review will read much differently.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

I've stayed just about everywhere in San Francisco and quite honestly, nothing compares to the beautiful, hip, super friendly, Clift. It's romantic, has the best place for a drink, the Redwood Room and is the perfect location. Don't waste your money staying any where else. The Clift is worth every penny and quite honestly is right in line with the other well known but somewhat "stuffy" upscale hotels. The beds, linens, bathrooms are all outstanding and spotlessly clean. I mean...it's "perfect"! Can't wait for my next visit in November.

Lisa F,

I "love, love, love" your review and we can't wait to have you back this month! I'm truly requesting a favor from you. Could you please reach out to David Rice, our amazing Guest Experience Manager, or myself? We would like to meet you and set you up with something special!

Best,

Reviewed October 30, 2012

It could've been awful. We arrived at the hotel on 10/23/12 excited to start our vacation off in the eerily hip Clift hotel in SF, only to be informed that our room had been 'requisitioned' by Major League Baseball's traveling circus who had arrived in town as the Giants had won the League Championships. Following our cross-country trip from Maine, where baseball died in June with the collapse of the Sox, this was not what we wanted to hear. Fortunately, John, a ridiculously calm manager, came to our rescue. In a world where hotels are willing to make a few individual enemies in an effort to court the big corporate dollars, the Clift (and Morgans Hotel Group in general) exemplified the maxim that you should always be helpful to the client and you should care about the consumer, regardless of the net value to the company.

John took the time to sit down with us and talk, offered us free cocktails in their lounge and proceeded to book us into the Fairmont at zero additional cost. Although I cannot fairly rate the quality of our 'non' stay at the Clift, I can say, that thanks to the customer service displayed by John and the staff at the Clift, we will certainly plan to stay there on our next trip to SF. Or for that matter, any of the Morgan Group Hotels.

Many many thanks. If it wasn't for the heads-up behavior of a kind manager, this review may have had a decidedly different tone.

Kendall H,

Thank you so much for the review. Through good and bad reviews, that I am lucky enough to respon to and try to make a difference, the hardest response is when you have to talk about yourself.

I'm sincerely sad that we had to meet under the circumstances we did, but I would be lying if I didn't say I'm happy I was able to share my passion of hospitality service with you and your wife. I am just a representative of Clift, and Morgans Hotel Group. We are individuals, but we share a common goal of providing you with an experience fueled by our passion and graciousness as a team.

I hope your week away from the kids was memorable through San Francisco and Napa Valley. Thank you, again, for the kind words. I can only hope that all our TripAdvisor readers can find that connection with our little slice of heaven, just like you.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

Took about 10 minutes to be greeted by our front desk agent upon arrival. She was busy, but at least acknowledge the waiting guest... Also, she did not give us any overview of the property and/or amenities in the hotel. Room was nice and had everything we needed. Was clean and that's my number ONE requirement. A bit small but hey its SF. Concierge was helpful in getting us to a cable car stop during our stay and again getting us a shuttle to the airport upon our departure. Bartender in the lounge was efficient yet friendly when we first went in. Then, later, we sat down and did not even order food because the waitress was so uppity and snooty. RUDE! Sorry, are we BOTHERING you by being here...? :/ Room service came quickly and tasted great. One other dismaying aspect, however, Saturday night we tried to get back to our room and were quizzed, ID'd and asked for room keys, and name just to get inside. Geeze. Welcome back? Not so much. Overall, you can't beat the location and there's plenty to do around the hotel. Good job concierge staff, and door man. I don't think I ever opened the door myself! :)

Room Tip: Ask for higher floor or street noise can be quite loud at times.

BBCdm,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. Your feedback is so amazing because it gives us the opportunity to see where we can still make a difference in your stay, even though for the most part, you enjoyed it!

For you and our other readers, our Redwood Room bar is one of the top bars in San Francisco. We have signature drinks, great music, a unique atmosphere right off our own lobby that attracts local guests and visitiors from abroad. Due to its popularity, we do ensure that our hotel guests have priority in coming into the hotel and not have to wait in any lines. Unfortunately, the only way we can do this, is have our great Security team help distinguish between hotel guests and visitors. I've been out there on a Friday or Saturday night with them, and I've seen first hand, the juggling act that they do when having to figure out what guests are coming or going, who's a bar patron or a hotel guest. It isn't easy, but they do it with a clamness and graciousness that ensure our guest have priority above all others.

BBCdm, thank you, again, for the nice review. We are gad that you enjoyed our clean rooms and service. Next time, we are going to get a "5" from you. Next time you are coming, please reach out ahead of time. We have the perfect remedy to make the next stay better!

Best,