“Excellent Wheelchair Accessible Stay at the Clift”

Clift Hotel San Francisco
Ranked #74 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 26, 2012

I'm a wheelchair user and stayed at the Clift last November and was delighted with the access throughout the hotel. The bedroom was really lovely & I would have liked a roll in shower but needed to opt for a room with 2 beds instead. Bathroom was very spacious & easy to manouvre my chair around. The reception staff were incredibly helpful & informative and the bar staff most charming & welcoming, ensuring I had a table with easy access within the very popular and busy Redwood Room. My only comment would be that I often felt overlooked by the door staff who were rather slow to open the doors to the hotel for a wheelchair user guest.

However I've just booked for another stay in mid Nov at a great rate and really looking forward to it; guaranteed great rooms & a fun bar to hang out in. Ideally located for central SF.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
john f, Front Office Manager at Clift Hotel San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2012

Scarlett B,

I am so excited that you are coming back this month! I hope you don't mind, but I am going to scour through our reservations to try and find yours and set you up with everything you need. If by chance you read this first, reach out to me in the next week so I can guarantee I found your reservation and took care of you.

I'm so delighted you enjoyed our service and our amenities. Thank you for taking the time to write this review on TripAdvisor and I can't wait to read the next one!!

John

Write a ReviewReviews (3,629)

Reviewed October 24, 2012

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
john f, Front Office Manager at Clift Hotel San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2012

Reviewed October 24, 2012

The location and rooms are great but what really sold me on this hotel was the phenomenal service. They made it seem effortless. Every interaction we had with the staff exceeded our expectations, from the doorman helping us take goofy pictures in the lobby, to the restaurant manager giving us free coffee to go. When the concierge learned we were on an anniversary trip, she sent up a bottle of champagne on the house. I can't wait to go back there. They clearly understand how important it is to treat their customer's well.

Room Tip: The loft is spacious and has a great layout

bigfatpain,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor.

I'm so happy to hear that our staff, form ALL departments, contributed to making your anniversary memorable and "phenomenal"! I'm wondering if you could send us a picture from the 'big chair' so that we could send it to our corporate office and share with them the experience you had here at Clift. Please let me know!

By the way, we can't wait to have you back!

Congratulations again!!

Reviewed October 22, 2012

I had not stayed here in a while because the prices have been crazy - but recently, the rates dropped to a more reasonable range. I stayed for a couple of days for work meetings. The rooms still look up to date and fresh even though the hotel has been around for a while now. The shower, toilet and bath area could stand a more modern version (especially the shower and toilet). Towels were a bit scratchy and not so fluffy you woudl expect with a higher end boutique hotel. There is a small safe in the closet. The lighting and decor are cool and very trendy, as always. service was good as well at the front desk and at the door. The doormen hailed hard to get cabs when needed on the busy mornings. The Asia de Cuba restaurant is gone - it has been replaced by another restaurant that is new. The front desk gave out discount cards to get guests to try it - i didnt get a chance to. All in all, this still seems to be a good option if the price is good.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

ccgworldtraveler,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. I, along with the readers, should have nothing but respect for your opinion, seeing how you have written so many reviews in so many different cities. You truly must be a "world traveler" and must have amazing stories.

I'm delighted to see that with all the places you have visited, you would point out that our service was good enough for a positive mention in your review.

As you indicated in your review, Asia de Cuba is no longer in Clift. We have an amazing new chef, Thomas Weibull, who has unveiled a whole new menu in our restaurant now named Velvet Room. Next time you come back, you have to try it. Its absolutely delicious!

Enjoy your future travels and thanks again!

Reviewed October 22, 2012

Our arrival at the hotel was met by pleasant staff and a wonderfully decorated foyer. The room was spacious and accommodating.

The location of the hotel is ideal, only a few blocks from union square.

Unfortunately our stay was too short for us to try the velvet room. Im sure if we return to San-Francisco we will certainly be trying it then.

Scott M,

Thank you for the great review on TripAdvisor. I'm sorry to read that your stay in San Francisco was short, seeing that you traveled all the way from England!!

Taking the time to mention our staff brings a smile to my face, but I am also glad that you enjoyed our over-sized rooms and location.

Now, the only thing left to change is "if" you're visiting San Francisco to "next time" you visit San Francisco, so you can try Velvet Room!

Best,

Reviewed October 21, 2012

I was very excited to stay at The Clift after seeing the photos of their lobby and entrance but had an unpleasant encounter upon arrival because Valet Parking is $55/overnight (yes, even for hotel guests!)
So if you rented a car to drive around SF & to Napa, please find another hotel that has free parking facilities.

When you enter, the lobby is very dim, with rich velvet colours, decked in plush furnishings, each piece of furniture is different and is an entire piece of art of its own.
There was an offending chair which had Ivory tusks and horns as arm rests.
(i'm against wildlife poaching)
Nonetheless, the entrance was oozing with sexy charm.

Then you take the lift to your room, and upon entering the room, it was bright as day, a huge contrast from the dark sexy lobby, the furnishings look cheap with light coloured wooden chairs (like those you can get from Ikea), and whilst the room was huge, the TV was very small and tucked in a corner far from the bed so it really made watching TV a strain on the eyes.

There was no complimentary water upon arrival (chargable), I personally think this is a basic must have for all hotels, so I had to walk across the street to Walgreens and grab a few bottles.
Great amenities of Malin + Goetz in the bathroom, finally, something that is up to standard of this boutique artsy hotel.

Called for the valet to bring the car, and ended waiting 30minutes. It wasn't until the doorman realised we had been standing out there for considerable amount of time then they went to check on our car (which I assumed was forgotten).

Very unlikely to return to The Clift, overpriced for the quality of room, and the additional charges leave a bad taste.

2  Thank Mia T
john f, Front Office Manager at Clift Hotel San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2012

Mia T,

First, thank you for taking the time to fill out a review on TripAdvisor. You covered a lot of aspects about your stay, which does provide a lot of great information to our readers, but I would like to just add on or help explain a little on each subject.

For parking, yes, parking is $57 a night for regular vehicles. The city of San Francisco is very comparable to that of Manhattan in New York. Parking is not cheap and very hard to find! I'm not saying that there isn't 'free' parking, but I'm not sure where you would find it in the Union Square/Financial District of San Francisco. The advantage of our parking is that our guests have access to their vehicles 24/7, and may come and go as they please. No additional charges. Also, we do feature rate plans that do include parking.

As for the design, again, you were right in your description of our lobby and oversized rooms! Thank you for the 'sexy' comment, we pride ourselves on having an unique lobby with authentic pieces. I do apologize about the couch. Its not our intention to offend anyone, it is, after all, art. As for the rooms, our design is based off the characteristics of San Francisco. The oranges represent the the iconic Golden Gate Bridge, the wheelbarrow chairs celebrate the voyage the the 49ers, who discovered this wonderful city, and there is so much more up to our in room amenities.

We do enjoy providing excellent service for all of our guests and it looks like we had a hiccup or two with you. But we would love to make it up to you and want you to come back. We know you want better and that's something we control. So please, when you can, reach out to us so we can discuss further.

We are truly looking forward to making this a "match"!

Reviewed October 20, 2012

Nice hotel in central location, spacious rooms. Had some problem with mobile signals from Telekom up on the higher floors, while AT&T worked fine. Highly attractive waitresses at the bar was a bit distractive for a bunch of guys. Nothing negative, however the hotel is so discrete from the outside that you cannot even see it one block away unless you KNOW it's there. The sign is just a tiny badge at the wall visible from a few feet :).

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
john f, Front Office Manager at Clift Hotel San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2012

janoleolsen,

Thank you for taking the time to write a great TripAdvisor review about us! We couldn't be happier that you were able to enjoy our spacious rooms and passionate service.

We'd love to have you stay with us again, so please let us know when! We want your first trip to be just as fun as the this one.

Best,

John
P.S., I understand the issue with getting reception with your cell phone! As a manager, I do not get reception in our office on the ground floor! But, it allows me to spend more time with our guests!!