“Cool hotel, nice base for San Francisco”

Clift Hotel San Francisco
Ranked #77 of 231 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Part of the Morgans group of hotel, which I have generally always had good experiences with. The lobby is a hip design experience, but also a comfortable place to chill out, especially near the fireplace. The Redwood Room bar is also very cool and a popular spot for locals. There was a DJ playing the night I was there. The regular room was clean and stylish, but slightly smaller than average at the price point. It had a good iPhone speaker dock which produced great sound. Bed was comfortable. Wifi is $15 for up to 3 devices. Staff were all helpful. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank nickjuk
john f, Front Office Manager at Clift Hotel San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

nickjuk,

Thank you for the great TA response! It was nice to read that you had various needs during your stay, yet we were able to capture them!! I hope you will reach out to us soon to let us the know the next time you are coming. We would certainly like to have someone write multiple reviews on how much they enjoyed Clift, and maybe we could see about getting you a little bigger room! ; )

John

Write a ReviewReviews (3,685)

Reviewed October 1, 2012

Stayed at the Clift for 3 nights and the hotel is a great location just 2 blocks away from Union Square and close to all the central areas for shopping. Easy to hop on the tram trolleys to get down to Fishermans Wharf. The hotel is a funky place, and the rooms are well furnished, although the bathroom was tiny. One complaint would be that wifi is not included and you have to pay extra for this, given the hotel is a premium boutique hotel, this is disappointing. The bar at the Clift is a good night spot to have a drink any time of night and attracts a glamorous crowd! A really good stay for a city hotel.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
john f, Front Office Manager at Clift Hotel San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

katharine s,

Thank you for the great TA review!! We look forward to having you back any time and would appreciate it if you stopped by to say 'Hi!'

We truly hope to hear from you soon!

Reviewed September 30, 2012

This hotel has all the style and a great bar but the staff could do with being lessons in politeness. The rooms are, as many others point out, on the small side but I have always found them perfectly adequate. The location is most convenient for all things in San Francisco but beware of the vagrants hanging around in the surrounding streets.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
john f, Front Office Manager at Clift Hotel San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

Liam C,

Thank you for taking the time to write a TA review! I really appreciate the positive feedback about the property and our famous Redwood Room Bar.

Although you gave us a great score, I am concerned about your experience from a service standpoint. I was hoping you could reach out to me as soon as possible so I can review this with you. I want you to have a great time here, and looking forward to having you back.

Reviewed September 29, 2012

My colleagues and i went for a after work drink to this place. Good thing we had made a reservation. Seems as though it gets really really booked. Loved the appetizers and wine selection. The place is expensive though and gets super-packed after 9....

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Neema46664,

Thank you for taking the time to talk our Redwood Room bar at Clift! I look forward to having you back, but I'm a little curious... are you still in New Jersey out here for work or have you moved out to San Francisco?

Talk with you soon!

Reviewed September 29, 2012

Got a room upgrade on arrival which was nice, the room was clean and quiet although a little uninspiring. $15 a day for wifi, come on, was there 6 nights, Starbucks got my business instead. Location was pretty good, although my wife did say maybe we would have been better at fishermans warf. Went past a number of hotels with doors being opened for guest with luggage, would have been nice but never happened here. Lots of people begging, but didn't have any significant issues.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

cistampe,

I'm grateful for the nice score you gave us, but I see we totally didn't hit the mark. I appreciate the honest feedback and for taking the time to write the review on TA. I hope that you will be coming back to Clift when you come visit San Francisco, I know I would like to look after your stay!

Reviewed September 29, 2012

I stayed at The Clift a week ago while on a business trip to San Francisco attending a conference with close to 70,000 others. It was very difficult to find a hotel room and I decided to give The Clift a try regardless of the mixed reviews.

My first and second we're mixed as well. The lobby was hip and filled with beautiful people wanting to enjoy the trendy bar and hang out in thr comfy lounge areas. I looked forward to entering my high floor corner room that the front desk attendant graciously provided based on my preferences. When I entered the room was spacious including a large walk in closet. The bathroom was very smal and in need of some updating. Bed was comfortable but only included a bootom sheet and a comforter.

I was a bit disappointed the next day when my bathtub was clearly not scrubbed. Making the bed and towel exchange appeared to be the extent of the housekeeping. That evening it was impossible to get a taxi in front of the hotel. I had a business dinner about a mile and a half away from the hotel so I decided to take the trek by foot as I knew a taxi would not be possible. My walking GPS needs a bit of an upgrade so I found my route to the restaurant in not the best area for a woman alone at night. Unfortunately in my haste to get to the restaurant I tripped on the sidewalk and broke my elbow.

The next morning when I finally realized that I should go to the ER, I drug myself down to the lobby and the staff were fantastic. They recommended a hospital for me, got a taxi and were genuinely concerned. As my bone was broken they let me leave the hotel without penalty for the rest of my stay. No questioned asked. Plus, they arranged a car service to take me to the airport in comfort.

Having a serious accident while out of town alone is traumatic. Bravo to The Clift staff for their superior service.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank HotelSnobMpls

HotelSnobMpls,

Thank you, thank you, thank you for the review!!! I am so happy that we were gracious enough in your experience that it made you write a review. We do remember you and we would be more than happy to have you come back to Clift when you are ready. Please let us know when, because we want to make sure that your second stay will be better, and safer, than the first one!

Please take care!

Reviewed September 28, 2012

My friend stayed here in May 2011 while he was in town for a conference.
The room was ok but the bathroom was tiny. No place to move even for a one person.
For the price he paid he should have stayed at the Westin. The bar downstairs had lousy service , waitresses really not interested to serve customers and were chatting away to each other at their stations. We had to make a serious effort just to order a drink,that said the cocktails were really good but also very pricey.
Hotel decor is interesting but not enough to justify the price. Would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
john f, Front Office Manager at Clift Hotel San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2012

Nootyandnice,

Thank you for writing your review on TripAdvisor. I know you stayed almost 4 months ago, but maybe you can reach out to me at your earliest convenience so we can address some of the negative experiences you had during your stay and see if we can change your mind on coming back.

Sincerley,