“Trendy hotel, but lacking in key areas. Average for the money”

Clift Hotel San Francisco
Ranked #72 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 3, 2012

We stayed here for two nights in late July 2012 and checking in late (10pm) on a Saturday night found ourselves on the 2nd floor right above the cool bar/club beneath, which is like having a subwoofer strapped under your bed. We are a young-ish couple so we partied down stairs for a while but after a long drive it is quite annoying having music pimping (vibrating until 2am) both nights. This itself is not so bad as we were after a cool hotel anyway.

The good:Good location (few homeless people around still, though but thats SF) cool bar, trendy feel/decor. Service was solid throughout.

The bad: $57 per day valet parking, no water, wireless that is slower than my first modem i bought in 1995(they made up for this by removing from bill, but still this is SF!!). Room is on the small side, as is the bathroom.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Clift Hotel San Francisco

Reviewed August 2, 2012

My partner and I had the pleasure of staying at the Clift Hotel from the 22nd June for 6 nights. We arrived late after a 22 hrs trip from Australia and it was so nice to be greeted by pleasant staff. Our room was on a high floor as I had requested and whilst not huge it was more than comfortable and most important quiet.
Right in the heart of San Francisco we could walk everywhere to see the sites and more importantly ..SHOP!
The guys on the front door were always there with a cheerful good morning or evening and were extremely helpful with directions.
If you want to stay in a classy hotel but don't want to pay through the roof for the pleasure then I would highly recommend The Clift Hotel.
The foyer always has a blazing fire, some really unusual Art furniture and a great bar. Check it out, you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Ask for one on a high floor.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 2, 2012

The hotel had a very modern, chic decor that was fun to explore. The rooms were equally trendy. Great bar scene at night, but the room was still quiet when you were ready to sleep. Good location if you are planning some shopping. We parked on the street and staff was able to give suggestions on cheaper parking nearby than their $50 valet.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Terrible customer service, $50 parking, noisy, little rooms!!! We went on Valentines Day and did not have a nice romantic exoerience, In fact it was anything but. It was situated in a convenient location but we couldn't get any sleep because this is a party hotel for twenty-somethings and not geared toward anyone else's comfort. We did not expect this to be so bad since it was rated with 4 stars and that is so off the mark. It should be 2 star tops and that is only if you are a clubber.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CHamilton_12
CliftFOM, Front Office Manager at Clift Hotel San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Chamilton12,

I am so sorry about the experience you had at the hotel. I am sure you were looking forward to a great valentines day. I am a bit confused, especially when it comes to your review saying the service was terrible. I am shocked, we are renowned for our customer service and go to great lengths to ensure a comfortable stay for everyone, not just "clubbers." As far as the valet prices, we are competitive with our neighbor hotels and if you ever visit New York or San Francisco, parking is limited and prices are high, supply and demand. Did you happen to express your disappointment with the room to any of our staff members? We are here for our guests 24/7.

Cheers,

Ian

Reviewed August 1, 2012

I would recommend this hotel for couples or singles who are looking to enjoy SF. The hotel is conveniently located right near Union Square shopping, restaurants, theater and music venues. You can walk almost anywhere, or conveniently hop a cable car. Concierge, bellmen and front desk people are all very accomodating. Sometimes there can be a wait to check in or out, so plan accordingly. The only drawback is that there is no pool, and as with any city hotel, there can be a lot of noise. I would recommend a loft room rather than a standard room, which may be a bit cramped. Upgrading deals can be had fairly inexpensively- and they will often offer you the opportunity at check in. The bar is one of the most heppening in the city, and you will meet interesting people there. Try it out!

Room Tip: Get a larger room on a higher floor to avoid noise.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
john f, Front Office Manager at Clift Hotel San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2012

bloggy99,

Thank you for the great review and advice you gave fellow TripAdvisor readers. We have a fantastic staff and always are willing to to help upgrade rooms whenever possible.

Let me know next time you are coming to Clift so we can book you into another fabulous room. I look forward to hearing from you!

Best,

Reviewed July 31, 2012

Well... at least the weather was perfect. This is a super trendy, different color lights in the elevator, $15 for a glass of wine type joint. The nightlife is bumping. This hotel is not suited for families or kids. If you are sub-30, good looking (or 45+ & balding with $$$) you are in the right spot. Valet parking $50 a night. Walk up the street and self park for $25 (2 blocks). Beware of the countless pan handlers at every corner (shaking the cup), Manhattan style.

First room was on the 4th floor.. looked over onto the roof of the graffiti riddled building. Sounds of a loudspeaker blaring through the window.. what the HELL is that noise?? Oh yes, its the hotel down the street whose employees have been protesting outside for over a year. My God. They don't mention that stuff when you book the room.. And don't give me that "we are in the city" stuff either.. cmon man, I live in L.A. ! Went down, complained, was moved to the 14th floor.

Nicer room - nicer view.. same noise. Thankfully, the protesting subsided after waking me up at 7:24 am on Saturday morning. Later that morning.. I kept hearing this noise that felt like rattling pipes.. took me a while to figure it out, then realized that our room just happened to back to the service elevator.. thanks G !!! It just keeps getting better. Can't remember if we were room 1432 or 1433.. its the one that backs to the service elevator, doesn't get any better!!

Last thing - bathroom marble type tile was clearly molded... Just gross. What am I going to do, yell at the cleaning lady who doesn't speak English? I can be a jerk - but, I won't cross THAT line. As with most crappy hotels, its a management issue (or lack there of).
At this point, my wife is in tears.. kids are pissed because there is no pool - my bad, honestly, I didn't check.. the last time I stayed in a hotel without a pool just happened to be the Travelodge on Lombard street back in 1995, so I couldn't imagine there are still hotels without pools (hostel?).. Upon checking out, we complain and get the extra $25 a day for a rollaway bed charge reversed. What a load of crap. NEVER AGAIN.

Room Tip: Here's a tip - go to a different hotel. No pool.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Howboutsomeservice
john f, Front Office Manager at Clift Hotel San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

Howboutsomeservice,

First I would like to thank you for taking the time to write this review, I have to admit it was a tough read.

Especially considering traveling with a family leaves you many other things to be concerned with, I can completely understand your frustration with the various noise and rooming issues. This is not the quality of stay you should ever expect at CLIFT, nor the type our guests regularly experience, whether you're traveling on business, or with the family.

If you have to chance to travel to San Francisco again, I would very much like the opportunity to show you what CLIFT can deliver. Please reach out to me and we can make the arrangements as necessary to assure you truly enjoy your next stay with us.

Reviewed July 29, 2012

I stayed here for business. I didn't find it business friendly. No coffee maker in room which was inconvenient. No free wi fi anywhere in hotel. I didnt bother to ask how much it was. Bar wasn't open until evening but you could get a drink in the sitting lounge if you flagged someone down. No rooftop bar that I thought I read on their website. Parking was over $60 after taxes and fees. Park at one of the public parking facilities nearby for half the price. I ended up doing that for 2 nights. Menu very limited in their restaurant and it was empty.. A few good Japanese restaurants and a Starbucks across the street but neighborhood gets dicey 2 blocks down; not the nicest area for sightseers. My room faced the street and it was quite noisy; there were protestors down the street which I could hear in my room. Room was clean and decor was cute but nothing else to offer. I will stay at the Hilton one block over next time for same price.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business

travel280,

Thank you for your review, we host hundreds of business travelers everyday, and your insight is greatly appreciated.

While we don't have in room coffee makers, we do offer complimentary coffee and tea in the lobby each morning, and in response to great feedback from guests like you we have even recently extended this service until 10 am.

Regarding your remarks on internet and parking, we have a variety of packages that include various amenities and services. A great option for your needs might be our 'Parking package' which includes complimentary valet and wireless. The valet service affords the advantage of unlimited access to your vehicle for 24 hours and front door service, where the local garages charge per each access.

I would be thrilled to have you come back and stay with us on your next trip to San Francisco. Please reach out to me when booking, I can help you select a quieter room in our courtyard and a rate plan more tailored to your travel needs.