All reviewsunion squaregreat locationrooms are smalllori's dinersutter streetan older hotelquaint hotelcable carsmaller sidetea and coffeecomfortable bedwithin walking distancestreet noisewould definitely stay here againshort staypublic transportaround the corner
Reviewed November 17, 2017

We had an enjoyable stay in this classic hotel. A great downtown location. The renovations are nice and we had great service from the staff. Excellent coffee in the morning with a comfortable place by the fire to drink it.

• Stayed: November 2017, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Reviewed November 16, 2017

Feel of a budget boutique but attention to detail of a 4 star chain. Perfect option for those who aren't in their room a lot but want to feel refreshed when they do come back. The small details of maximizing room space were very clever.

• Stayed: November 2017, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Reviewed November 15, 2017

The staff at the Cartwright are some of the best I've encountered anywhere. From check-in, to follow up by staff during my stay, to great interactions with the concierge, each and every member of this hotel staff is polite, professional, friendly and concerned about their guests enjoyment of their stay.
The hotel itself is centrally located in San Francisco (a couple blocks off of Union Square), near good restaurants, public transportation and is in a good neighborhood.
Parking ($35/night self park) for the hotel is one block away, and is secure. Hotel staff will validate and bill you through your room bill if you wish.
The rooms have been completely overhauled, are modern and very well appointed. The beds are comfortable and amenities upscale.
I have stayed in multiple hotels in SF for business, but this will become my go-to hotel from now on. The rates for the quality can't be matched anywhere else I've seen in SF.
The only thing I'd say, is if you don't like white noise, get a room not on the street. SF is a busy, bustling city, even at night. No matter how good the windows, there will be noise.

Room Tip: Off street if you don't like the sounds of the city.
  • Stayed: November 2017, traveled on business
Reviewed November 13, 2017 via mobile

I stayed for 4 nights here with my wife for sightseeing purpose. The location is quite good, convenience store and drug store just across the street, Starbucks and cable car/bus station just around the corner. 3 mins walk to union square. My room at top floor and face the main street so got a nice view. My room doesn't have A/C but with ceiling fan so it's ok for me(outside temp around 12C), but not sure about the summer time how they improve the inside temp? Oh they serve free coffee from 7-10am at lobby, that's a plus!

Stayed: November 2017, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 13, 2017

Let's start with the goods stuff: small but very cute room with tv and free wifi. Room and bathroom were very clean. However, my room was facing a wall of another building which was very weird. I have never expected any hotel to have such 'views'.

Moving on to the least pleasant elements. First thing I have spotted was quite rude staff. The lady who was serving me seemed like she didn't care if I was there or not. She couldn't even bother to take off the headphone set while talking to me. I had no idea if she was talking to me or someone on the phone, I wasn't sure if she acknowledged my presence every time when I got to the reception. Overall, if you are staying for one night - go ahead and book it but if you are planning to stay a bit longer, I would suggest paying maybe a bit more and staying somewhere else.

Room Tip: ask to book a room which is not facing a wall
  • Stayed: November 2017, traveled solo