“Very Small Rooms And Old”

The Cartwright Hotel - Union Square, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #80 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed February 22, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for one night and this review is for the room itself. The room was really small, and ran down. It look pretty bad and did not expected something so small. I guess this is because it is downtown San Francisco (which is already a small congested city), there isn't much room in general. The bathroom was no bigger than a closet...and to put in perspective, we I sat on the toilet, I was able to was my hands in the sick as well! Customer service at the front desk was fine, the location is great - right in the hear of the downtown area and walkable distance to shops. If you like space and rooms on the decent side. Do not come here. If you don't care about the size, and location and service is what you're looking for and for a decent price - come here. You get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra to get a bigger room?
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank John N
There are newer reviews for The Cartwright Hotel - Union Square, BW Premier Collection

Reviewed February 19, 2014

There is just about NO BETTER location than this. A step or two away from the main drag in Union Square, near tons of shops, restaurants and transit stations - no car needed. The hotel rooms are small and uninteresting, but very clean; staff is 24 hours and very friendly and helpful. If you want a gym, breakfast, etc., this is not the place. If you plan on being out and about most of the day and need a safe, convenient place, this is great!

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the end of the hall - it is pretty quiet, but ours was even quieter!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank NinaTee
Reviewed February 19, 2014

I stayed here on business travel. The front lobby was a great first impression followed by a very pleasant desk clerk. All went well with check-in.

The room was small very very efficiently organized. The only thing I wish was different was a little more space for the luggage stand. The bath was again small but had no problems as again it was very well organized. Bed was comfortable and room temp was fine however there was no thermostat in the room only a steam regulator. The hotel is older and the walls thiner than modern hotels, but I had no trouble with room noise from adjacent rooms or from the outside.

The wifi work but was slow at times. No problem with VPN.

The BART station (Powell) was a short walk and I took BART to and from the airport as well as to work in Alameda (transfer to AC Transit Bus 51A in Oakland)

If you are a Starbucks fan there are at least 4 along the way from BART to the hotel. A 24 hour Walgreens was across the street from the hotel.

There was no onsite gym but they did offer a $15 day pass to Club One. Luckily I had access to another gym.

Would certainly return again.

Room Tip: Room at the back of the hotel away from the street.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed February 15, 2014

I am just confirming what most others are saying. This IS a older hotel (which you can take to mean charming or cramped). Centre rooms in the hotel are quite small. It would bother me to stay in them more than one or two nights. The corner rooms are more spacious. Bathrooms are tiny, closets are big. The good news is a great location near some nice restaurants (I am thinking Roxannes, Sears, Scala, E &O), a good location right on the Powell Cable Car line, and a very friendly staff in a dog friendly hotel. Bed was so so. Wifi worked well and the rooms were very clean which meant a lot to us. Could use a hotel book with info like tv stations, etc. but we were able to obtain information at the main desk.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are bigger but probably more expensive.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DougupinCanada
Reviewed February 14, 2014

We stayed here as a family in a suite - one bedroom with separate lounge with a sofa bed. Ideal for our family of three.
No this isn't a 5 star hotel, but then again you aren't paying 5 star rates.
The location is outstanding, with just a short stroll to Union Square and the many restaurants and bars in the area.
Good value and friendly - we enjoyed our stay here. Just don't expect The Ritz.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed February 9, 2014

I enjoyed my two night stay at the Hotel Cartwright. I was there for a trade show and the trade show shuttle came by close to the hotel which was perfect. My room was on the smaller side, but I didn't feel as small as others have indicated. I had a very large closet, which made me chuckle given the size of the room. I do agree the bathroom was very small, but functional. I could have used about double the water pressure. Internet worked great and flat screen television worked also. Bed was comfortable and I slept well. Street noise didn't bother me, I was on the 7th floor. I liked the feel of the property also, it had a unique/boutique quality at a good rate. There was an odd smell one day, I either got used to it or it was random. The location worked great for me, with several nice restaurants within a block or two. I did a 5-mile loop jog that took me down to the waterfront and past the trolley's and such, a great run and felt safe the entire way. I felt safe in the evening also, although my wife would have had a few concerns, especially if she walked away from the heart of the city. I'd have wanted her to take a taxi or be in a group. The immediate street front felt safe and secure though.

I would certainly stay there in the future, especially if traveling solo. I'd seriously consider it if traveling with my wife, although I think she'd prefer a little more glitzy location in San Fran and a bit closer to the water. It would depend on the rates at the time.

Room Tip: it's a small elevator. If you're uncomfortable in elevators I'd ask for a lower floor. T...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed February 7, 2014

I stayed at this property for three nights for business/pleasure. The location is superb. It's located just off Union Square on Sutter Street. There is bountiful shopping and you'll find great restaurants everywhere around you. As well, cable car stops and a BART station are within steps.
The property is an old building with external fire escapes. The lobby is a warm welcoming boutique design. Amenities include free WIFI throughout the property, coffee in the morning, 20% off coupons for a little diner on the corner, a business center and printer to print your boarding passes. It's quite well done. It's falls apart a bit when you get to the rooms. They are on the small side, but well decorated. The bathrooms are miniscule, and I had to call to have my drain fixed in my tub/shower combination. It wouldn't drain after a shower. It's a tired property in an old world San Francisco building. I find that this offers some charm versus the glass and steel Marriott's and Hilton's.

One improvement I might suggest is some training of some of the staff. Some are extremely friendly and helpful. Others seem cold, unapproachable, and I heard one actually treating a guest like an idiot: "which airport, Madame? which airport, Madame? We have several in San Francisco. How can I answer your question if I don't know which airport? ". I find this typical of a burned out employee who finds "guests" a major nuisance.

Would I stay here again? Yes, why? Location. It's convenient, clean and completely everything a guest could need. If you want new, glitzy, happening, this is NOT your property.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business