“Good Value Hotel near Union Square”

The Cartwright Hotel - Union Square, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #87 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
Guelph, Canada
“Good Value Hotel near Union Square”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2014

I am just confirming what most others are saying. This IS a older hotel (which you can take to mean charming or cramped). Centre rooms in the hotel are quite small. It would bother me to stay in them more than one or two nights. The corner rooms are more spacious. Bathrooms are tiny, closets are big. The good news is a great location near some nice restaurants (I am thinking Roxannes, Sears, Scala, E &O), a good location right on the Powell Cable Car line, and a very friendly staff in a dog friendly hotel. Bed was so so. Wifi worked well and the rooms were very clean which meant a lot to us. Could use a hotel book with info like tv stations, etc. but we were able to obtain information at the main desk.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are bigger but probably more expensive.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DougupinCanada

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Adelaide, South Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here as a family in a suite - one bedroom with separate lounge with a sofa bed. Ideal for our family of three.
No this isn't a 5 star hotel, but then again you aren't paying 5 star rates.
The location is outstanding, with just a short stroll to Union Square and the many restaurants and bars in the area.
Good value and friendly - we enjoyed our stay here. Just don't expect The Ritz.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Yakima
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2014

I enjoyed my two night stay at the Hotel Cartwright. I was there for a trade show and the trade show shuttle came by close to the hotel which was perfect. My room was on the smaller side, but I didn't feel as small as others have indicated. I had a very large closet, which made me chuckle given the size of the room. I do agree the bathroom was very small, but functional. I could have used about double the water pressure. Internet worked great and flat screen television worked also. Bed was comfortable and I slept well. Street noise didn't bother me, I was on the 7th floor. I liked the feel of the property also, it had a unique/boutique quality at a good rate. There was an odd smell one day, I either got used to it or it was random. The location worked great for me, with several nice restaurants within a block or two. I did a 5-mile loop jog that took me down to the waterfront and past the trolley's and such, a great run and felt safe the entire way. I felt safe in the evening also, although my wife would have had a few concerns, especially if she walked away from the heart of the city. I'd have wanted her to take a taxi or be in a group. The immediate street front felt safe and secure though.

I would certainly stay there in the future, especially if traveling solo. I'd seriously consider it if traveling with my wife, although I think she'd prefer a little more glitzy location in San Fran and a bit closer to the water. It would depend on the rates at the time.

Room Tip: it's a small elevator. If you're uncomfortable in elevators I'd ask for a lower floor. T...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Paris, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2014

I stayed at this property for three nights for business/pleasure. The location is superb. It's located just off Union Square on Sutter Street. There is bountiful shopping and you'll find great restaurants everywhere around you. As well, cable car stops and a BART station are within steps.
The property is an old building with external fire escapes. The lobby is a warm welcoming boutique design. Amenities include free WIFI throughout the property, coffee in the morning, 20% off coupons for a little diner on the corner, a business center and printer to print your boarding passes. It's quite well done. It's falls apart a bit when you get to the rooms. They are on the small side, but well decorated. The bathrooms are miniscule, and I had to call to have my drain fixed in my tub/shower combination. It wouldn't drain after a shower. It's a tired property in an old world San Francisco building. I find that this offers some charm versus the glass and steel Marriott's and Hilton's.

One improvement I might suggest is some training of some of the staff. Some are extremely friendly and helpful. Others seem cold, unapproachable, and I heard one actually treating a guest like an idiot: "which airport, Madame? which airport, Madame? We have several in San Francisco. How can I answer your question if I don't know which airport? ". I find this typical of a burned out employee who finds "guests" a major nuisance.

Would I stay here again? Yes, why? Location. It's convenient, clean and completely everything a guest could need. If you want new, glitzy, happening, this is NOT your property.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Chico, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2014

This is an older hotel in a good location near Union Square. The rooms are very small and we stayed in one with one queen bed. We got a very good rate with Travelzoo so that was nice. We didn't sleep much at all however. The heaters are a radiator and the room was too warm as there is no thermostat. We called the front desk to ask how to turn it off so they sent someone up to turn off the valve for us. As a result of turning it off then it gurgled, whistled, blew steam all nite, and made a loud water sound! There is no way for us to sleep with all of the noise and we didn't want to open the window as there was too much street noise and it was cold. When I complained the next day to the front desk their comment was yes this is an older hotel and a lot of people complain about this we are sorry. I told them that all they needed to do was tell us to turn it back on and the noise would stop and at least we could have attempted to sleep then. I told them my husband thinks the valve leaks and it should be fixed. They said it happens on and off in many rooms. They made a note of it! There is a separate charge for parking which they do disclose to you and it is about 2 blocks away. The bar inside is closed, and they don't have a wine reception any longer either. We would not stay there again which is too bad as the location is good and you can walk everywhere from there.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TravelGoddess61

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Fresno, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2014

I stayed here three nights with a girl friend. Hotel staff were friendly and helpful. Our room was always cleaned by the time we had breakfast and returned to the room. The beds are feather beds and mine at home are firm. however, they were comfortable. The bathroom was small but every square inch was accounted for and the arrangement was convienent for us. Water pressure was good and hot water immediately available. The hotel was clean and quiet. I had stopped drinking coffee but the decaf was so good and so hot I did drink coffee each morning. We used a voucher from Travel Zoo for three nights and had a great price.
The night we arrived someone at the hotel sold us a hop on off with Big Bus at a discounted price. There are many hop on off buses in SFO but I can't imagine any company with better service than Big Bus. We did the walking tours which were included in the price and they were very informative. We had walked past places in Chinatown previously and didn't know the history and stories that the tour guide told us. We did the 2 hour night tour with SFO views from Treasure Island and it was a fabulously clear night! One of our hop off places was the Japanese Garden and California Academy of Science. If you get to the Japanese Garden between 9-10am admission is free. You can spend hours at the Academy of Science.If you go to SFO I would recommend always bring dress for cold weather. We didn't expect cold weather but were prepared and it made this trip enjoyable.

Room Tip: This hotel is a great location, clean, quiet and a good value.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
West Sacramento, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2014 via mobile

A block to Union Square, this old hotel has small rooms, but not as small as European ones. That said, our room was very clean every day for 3 days! Spotless.

Maid service was excellent!

Self service parking at $29 was also a find!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple