“Enjoyed stay at Cartwright - Great location and Service”

The Cartwright Hotel - Union Square, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #77 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Professional, responsive staff and premium access to Union Square. The hotel was used for a business trip around conference in Union Square and worked out very well for us and our clients. Booking team was easy to work with and delivered on all that was offered.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Anonymous0003
Steven V, General Manager at The Cartwright Hotel - Union Square, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2013

Dear Anonymous0003,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. The entire team was pleased to read all went well with your conference. We look forward to welcoming you back next year.

Cheers,

Steven Viscio

Reviewed January 14, 2013

I stayed at the Cartwright in mid December and got a great rate considering peak holiday time. I was pleasantly surprised by how personal and comfortable a hotel could be. I'm used to staying at big chains like the Marriott and the Cartwright Union Square was a nice change of flavor. The front desk guys were so friendly and helpful. My room wasn't big but it was very comfortable (especially the bed!) and had the quaint "old San Francisco" feel. I had WiFi and free coffee in my room. There was also free coffee by the lobby. All in a all...an excellent experience and an amazing value! I will definitely stay there again and refer my friends and family there.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Dear MichelleLi,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. You truly captured the spirit of our hotel. We love to be your “non- big box” alternative. I am thrilled you found us to be an amazing value, and you didn’t even mention our great location.

We hope to be your flavor of choice when visiting San Francisco. Please take a moment to like us on Facebook.

Cheers,

Steven Viscio

Reviewed January 13, 2013

I loved this place! The rooms are small but it is a very old hotel with great staff, great lounge with fireplace, great old feeling in the quaint little rooms..will come again for sure :) Love the old fire escape too!!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Vicky P
Reviewed January 8, 2013

The best part of this hotel is its location! You are close to everything!
Our room was quite small and we could hardly turn around in there. The beds were also pretty small, but not bad. It was an ancient room, but somehow felt quaint.
Room service was very good and the front desk guys were very friendly and helpful.
There was Happy Hour every evening, but we were never there to catch it. Dining room looked a bit dark, but when you are so close to great restaurants, you would not spend too much time in the hotel restaurant. The front desk gave us coupons to have breakfast at the next door diner, which had good food.
I would rather have a bigger room in a hotel, but again, you cannot beat the price for such a great place. So, there is a good chance that I will stay here again when I come back to San Francisco!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 6, 2013

For the last 20 years I'm at SF for business trips, always at the big hotels like Hilton Hyatt etc.
This is the first time on pleasure trip and wanted to have something smaller (the company doesn't pay) with in the center with reasonable price. So I looked at the internet and there was Cartwright which I never heard of. I didn't know what to expect and I found an amazing small hotel in a great location with a great stuff that gave me the feel that I'm at home. When you get into the hotel you feel like a family hotel like in Europe that the owner sit near the reception and will do everything that you'll feel at home. If you are lucky Lilian will be there and you'll feel that your mother is there for you with any problem that may be arise. If she is not there Kevin will solve all your issues.
I really enjoyed from this stay in SF and I felt like I never felt all my other visits in the huge hotels.
I have a decision: all my next visits (non business) will be at this cozy hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms are bit small but if you plan to be out in the city most of your day the rooms are very clean...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Stayed here on New Years Eve, attending a party at the nearby Westin Hotel. The location of this hotel is really good, in the heart of the action. Lots of restaurants and shopping all around the hotel. The price was great on the internet relative to neighbouring hotels. The hotel is a 3 star property and it fits the bill - not a super upscale place, but what you would expect for the rating / price. The staff was quite accommodating, which we appreciated, the rooms were clean and the bed was comfortable. Only issue I had with the hotel was that the shower in the room was a hand-held variety with the clip on the wall set too low! I am 175cm (5 ft 9 inches) and I had to duck under it slightly to take a shower! Added bonus, there is a 7-11 across the street which makes it easy to grab water, drinks and even a late night hot dog!!!

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 25, 2012

The location is pretty good, very central and convenient to go to all the tourist attractions. The hotel staff are friendly. However, a little bit disappointed by the room size. The pictures of the room at the Booking.com website look way bigger than actual. Also, there is actually no room type called "deluxe room". It's in fact just a very tiny room with a double size bed. The bathroom is very tiny. You can barely move around especially at the toilet area. The wifi is pretty fast compared with many other hotels. If you want to book this hotel through Booking.com, you'd better to be prepared for a much smaller sized room so you won't be surprised and ruin the mood of your trip.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
King George Hotel - A Greystone Hotel
Hotel Union Square
Hotel Union Square
#98 of 230 in San Francisco

Been to The Cartwright Hotel - Union Square, BW Premier Collection? Share your experiences!