“Charming not always comfortable!”
Review of Andrews Hotel

Andrews Hotel
Ranked #122 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
“Charming not always comfortable!”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I booked the Andrews based on the recommendation of a colleague. I checked it out on line and it is located close to Union Square and under $300/hight. I chose the one bedroom suite (as I'm aware most "charming" hotel rooms in San Francisco are small!) As you walked down Post Street from Union Square you could tell the neighborhood was changing from vibrant to shady. The reception area was quaint and the check in process went ok. Took a bit longer because someone was in training. The old elevator was charming and you could also walk the stairs. The room we got was bigger, because of the sitting area, but the bedroom was small. There is a full bathroom off the sitting area that is in desparate need of a remodel and then a sink and shelf in the bedroom that was convenient. The carpets needed cleaning, the towels are small and scratchy and the two tvs (one in the bedroom and one in the sitting area) have screens the size of a computer monitor. The evening front desk staff was not helpful except for Russ who was sympathetic to our complaints. And the bartender in the Fino Bar was unbelievablly RUDE! For an average of $285/night (inc.taxes) you can stay on Powell Street at one of the bigger hotels with just as much "charm".

Room Tip: If you want to stay here definately pay more for the suite with a sitting area. These rooms are on...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JWeisen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Turkish first
Seal Beach, California
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Do not travel to SF in August. This hotel cost over $200.00 a night plus tax (16 %) and the room was the size of a postage stamp. The hallway and room carpet
need to be replaced. Very visible large stains. The continental breakfast tasted like day old pastry, a shame for S.F. with decent bakeries on every corner.
No refrigerator in the room and ice is obtained by taking the elevator to the basement. The location is convenient to Union Square. Mary ( at the desk) was very cordial and helpful.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Elaine and Lloy... L

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

This is an old hotel about two blocks from Union Square. It has an old time elevator and a lot of antique charm.

I booked it off the internet because the price and location were very attractive. However you get what you pay for.

This place is NOT AT ALL CLEAN. The rugs had not been vacuumed in years it seemed. There was a layer of dust and a very bad smell throughout. The bathroom was abominable and there was no way the average sized human could sit on the toilet.

IT'S VERY NOISY. Sirens were wailing all night and the walls are paper thin.

I've stayed in many older hotels in the past and never had such a bad experience. I could never recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank TomK_Chicago
Aarhus
Reviewed August 1, 2013

It is hard to find an inexpensive hotel in San Fransisco. But compared to other hotels Andrews Hotel is not on the expensive side.
The most positive about this hotel is the position. Just one block from Union Square.
The room itself was charming, but not especially comfortable. The building was from 1905, and the installations probably of the same age. The room was small and there was barely room enough for the king bed. (I had booked a suite, but got only a king room, but I won't blame Andrews Hotel for this; it was booked through 3rd party, and I suppose the error lies here).
The internet would only work in one corner of the room.
The bathroom was very small.
The hotel offers expensive valet parking, but it won't be much cheaper if you park yourself.
Breakfast was included. It consisted of very good French bakery, mini baguettes, croissants etc. But nothing else. So it could not keep you going for too long.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Peterdk8000
australia
Reviewed July 21, 2013

The hotel room had old furniture and accessories. I would recommend purchasing new bed spreads, blinds, bed frame and paint the room white (it will make the room feel larger). The bathrooms are very small (but clean) if you were a bigger person you would struggle. The location is fabulous approx 5 mins from Union Square. San Fran is very expensive and this hotel was great for the price. Free wifi was very usefull.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jasonlaura
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Andrews hotel in July and had the worst hotel experience of my life. The hotel is old, dirty, smelly, and overpriced. The rooms had moldy green carpet and the tile in the bathroom had dirt caked in between each square. The hotel was also extremely noisy and the walls were paper thin.

Additionally, I had a very bizarre interaction with the older blonde lady who worked the front desk. After coming back from breakfast my key was not working, so I went downstairs to get a new one. (A common problem after reading other reviews on trip advisor). The lady said that the key probably thought I was already checked out. I said, "well, I was actually wasn't working last night as well." She asked if they issued me a new key last night. I said, " no, it took about 17 tries but I finally got it. I didn't have time to mess around with it again this morning." Her response was "well then the key did work now didn't it." I responded by saying that 1 for 17 tries with a key are not good odds. Her response..."life isn't fair." Although I'm obviously angry at this point, I bite my tongue and wait for my new key. When she hands it to me, I smile and walk back upstairs. She shouts after me and yells, "um, you're welcome." At this point, I calmly remind her that she is the one in the customer service industry and to act like it.

All she had to do was apologize for the inconvenience. Instead, she tried to pick a fight with a customer.

Save yourself. The rooms are gross, the staff is rude and incompetent, and I felt very unsafe the whole time I was there.

• Stayed July 2013
5 Thank Jennifer G
Sheffield
Reviewed July 17, 2013

The service we received when we first arrived at the hotel was excellent. The gentleman was very friendly and welcoming, and told us all we needed to know. The room was fairly small and the decor was slightly outdated, however we still found this to be a lovely hotel. The room had a TV and WiFi, and a ceiling fan. The ceiling fan suited us fine and we didn't feel the need for air conditioning, however the fan was quite noisy at night and took a bit of getting used to. One of our favourite things about this hotel was waking up to a complimentary breakfast laid out on the landing every morning. Breakfast consisted of orange juice/tea/coffee, fruit and a selection of pastries.

The hotel is a 10 minute walk to Union Square and has good transport links, however we had a couple of uncomfortable walks through the Tenderloin - an area of San Francisco with high levels of crime. Saying this, we never saw any trouble in this area.

I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple