“Couldn't have chosen better”
Review of Andrews Hotel

Andrews Hotel
Ranked #124 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
Perth
“Couldn't have chosen better”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Just stayed almost a week at the wonderful Andrews Hotel and I can say I was so pleased I chose this hotel to welcome our American vacation. The hotel itself is in the historic Turkish Bath building which has been refurbished into cosy and pleasant rooms with a fantastic adjoining Italian restaurant.

The BEST thing about this hotel was the location - a few blocks from Union Square, the heart of San Francisco. We could literally walk everywhere - including China town and North Beach, Little Italy - which was our favourite district for culture, Italian good and pretty tree lined streets.

The rooms are just fine, clean, cosy with almost everything you need. (No fridge) The bed was so comfortable and a ceiling fan kept us cool. Each morning a complimentary continental breakfast was supplied on each floor including juices, coffees, fruit and pastries. From 5 - 6.30 each evening you can enjoy a complimentary wine down in Lidos Italian restaurant - a nice touch.

Front desk were helpful and welcoming, check in and out was a breeze.

I would definitely stay at this hotel again and would recommend this for the location alone and affordable price and inclusions. Wireless is free!

Check out the Owl Tree on the corner - a cosy little wine bar and also Riyokos sushi - AMAZING.

Thanks Andrews Hotel!

• Stayed June 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Turkish first
Uk
Reviewed June 17, 2013

this hotel has a good location near Union Square, and an excellent restaurant on the premises, which is independent of the hotel. staff are friendly.
however, the room was smallish and the bathroom absolutely tiny. anyone over 6 foot would have extreme difficulty using the loo as the basin is in the way ! breakfast, included in the room rate and served in the hallway of each floor, was poor.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank vera022
Northern California
Reviewed June 16, 2013

On a last minute whim, we decided to visit the city and obtain a hotel room so that we may indulge in a lovely late evening (fine print: drink and eat a lot and not have to drive home until the morning). I have stayed at other hotels in Union Square including the Hilton and the Westin. Most of the hotels in this area are very old and have a lot of visitors. Since it was the weekend of the SF Marathon, there was hardly anything available in the area. We had to pay top price to find this room as it was one of the few available. At other reviewers suggest, this hotel is very European, everything is smaller compared to larger American chain hotels. To my surprise, the lobby is small and cozy. Check in was easy and they had free wi-fi. The room was tiny. I felt like I was a character in a movie such as Alice in Wonderland where she is so large that she can't fit through the door. OK, that is an exaggeration but the room barely fit a full size bed. Since we must have got the last room, it was in a horrible location (room 205) at the entrance of the stair well and right were they serve the continental breakfast. THere are windows in the room that one, face our neighbors shower and the second that face an small opening (I have seen this in Europe in many of the buildings but I am not sure of what it is called (mini courtyard minus the yard). It was nice for fresh air or should I say ventilation. The hotel offers a glass of wine in the evening, a continental breakfast. If you can sleep thought any noise, then stay here but otherwise, if you are a light sleeper such as me then you might not get much sleep even with your white noise app cracked up and half a Costco melatonin in your system. Also, avoid room 205. In all fairness, when I stayed at the Westin facing Union Square, I heard every shower, and neighbor conversations and that was after I just finished a marathon (so tired and yet still bothered by noise). If this hotel is in your budget, you will find it is only a couple of blocks to Union Square and transportation. Parking in the back runs about 30 a night. It is close to everything and for the price, probably a good deal for the area.

Room Tip: Avoid Room 205. Small rooms, small bed.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank RN4Kids
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed June 5, 2013

I have stayed at the Andrews a few times now and while it is worn and old, it still has a charm about it. It needs some renovation, but it's hard when you are down the road from the JW Marriott, St Francis, etc. But this is a very comfortable place, in a great location at a good price point.

Room Tip: Stay away from the street side. It can be noisy from partiers into late in the evening.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chris C
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 3, 2013

We stayed here for one night during our honeymoon trip. We booked it as it was cheap, location was good and we were leaving the hotel early the next day to go to the airport - so didn't need anything plush. On arrival the welcome was fantastic and the receptionist arranged for a bottle of champagne to be put in the room (as we were on honeymoon) - this was a lovely touch. However, the room was very small, very hot and a bit fusty smelling. There was a ceiling fan, but we were staying on a particularly hot night and it really didn't keep us cool. I was glad that we were leaving at 6am the following morning as I don't think I could take much more of the heat! Another thing I am disappointed about is that they took an extra $25 off my credit card for "incidentals" and promised a refund should this not be used. This refund was promised within 2 weeks of check out. 4.5 weeks and an email to them later, I still haven't received this refund - so am not happy!! I would like to give a better review as the staff were really nice, but the rooms were really not up to scratch and the fact I haven't had my refund, or been emailed back about it is very annoying!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MKPWales

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Perth, Australia
Reviewed June 1, 2013

We hadnt expected much from this hotel and unfortunately it still managed to disappoint us. We were woken every morning at 0630 by a knocking that occurred every morning we stayed there which lasted for two hours. We were also kept awake one night by one of our neighbours vomiting because the walls are very thin you can hear everything. Also the shower in the bathroom is tiny and the shower head came to my chest which made washing my hair very difficult because I am not a contortionist. There were also other peoples hairs in the shower when we arrived. I would definitely look at better alternatives further away from the Tenderloin.

I can say that the staff were very helpful.

Room Tip: Dont do it
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple