“Will return, a standard I will use to judge other value priced hotels.”
Review of Andrews Hotel

Andrews Hotel
Ranked #126 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed July 3, 2011

I have been meaning to write this for a while. (I did write an outline with a week of my return so my thoughts were easily refreshed ) I really didn't know what or how I was going to choose a hotel on my visit to san fran as I have never been their and know little of the city beside what I have read. Plus I am really not a hotel person, I travel alone and have spent quite a few nights sleeping in a car on the side of the road when pushing for a destination. But obviously a hotel was what I needed and I could not have made a better choice. Cheap, comfortable, good service, decent beds and resonably quiet for a city hotel. (my place at home is actually noisier).

The big plus was the price during the week in may 2010. For what I paid under $100 I thought I recieved great value. The rooms are small but for one person to sleep in at night and research the next day of travels online, it was perfect. When returning after a 3 days excursion south I booked a day in advance for a sat. night and the room was smaller and tighter and $160/night. But I booked late so.... . I went to Santa Cruz on the weekend and stayed at a Best Western which was pretty new and the room cost almost 2.5x as much. I was almost in shock at how big after the andrews. I almost set up a bowling alley or thought of running laps. But I the space really had no use for me and would have been happy with an Andrews size room and price.

Service was pretty good. I had issues accessing a printer and ice The printer is a function of who is working the front desk and their computer ability. The ice is in the service area in the basement and is only accessible by staff at night. During the day it is easily accessed. Since their are no fridges in the rooms I just wanted access to cold fluids during my time in the room. Ice in a 5 gal bucket refreshed daily would have been fine but it just didn't happen partially because of timing and not sure if I was asking too much.

Location wise it was great. It's really close to union square, lots of shopping. Your six blocks from Powerl and Market st where you can pretty much catch any transit unit you like. Or should I say you can get off the BART which you took in from the Airport and your six blocks from your hotel. It is uphill but even for me a walk aphobe it wasn't a far walk. Just look at a map on the way in and get your bearings. The cable car turnaround (or track end) is at the bottom of powel Follow the car up the powel to the hill and Union Square. First left after Union Square or Victoria Secret or the Westin St. Francis where VS is part of is Post Street. Two and a half blocks up Post on the other side of the street is the Andrews. The transit system can pretty take you anywhere you want to go. Just don't expect to use cable cars as a mode of transport during the tourist season. Unless you like waiting in very long line ups. In may I used it about 8 am no problem but by noon the lines on the other end were pretty long on Fishermans wharf.

Room Tip: avoid the frt street rooms as they are the noisie.
  • Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo

Reviewed July 1, 2011

The bathroom was so dramatically small that my husband (who is tall) couldn`t fit in. They changed our room upon request. Rooms are carpeted and neither the rooms nor the bathrooms have a clean and fresh feeling. They look and are old and depressing. Hotel is centrally located though. It is bearable for one night but not longer. They provide breakfast which is not bad. They charge 37$ for valet parking/night but you can park at the private parking lot at back of the hotel for 25$/night

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sonkararim
Reviewed June 20, 2011

Hotel is located right near union square, great for shopping, sightseeing and the hop-on-hop-off bus services. Also cable car rides.
Hotel itself has charm and character. It was clean, room average size, although bathroom was a little small, but shower was always hot.
TV was tiny though, but your not there to watch TV. At night it was often very noisy but you got used to it.
Staff were very friendly. Breakfast is served on each floor and you take it back to your room, great idea! Although there is no cereal and orange juice often ran out.
Overall very happy with my stay and would return again.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank JayneAustralia
Reviewed June 19, 2011

Stayed here for 4 nites ,good location 2 blocks to union square
Staff where very helpful
On our first night room was small and we asked to be moved, of which they did
breakfast a little disapointing it is served on your floor, first in best dressed,however for the rate we paid, overall this is a great hotel

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank beakyfish
Reviewed June 13, 2011

We wanted a hotel that was safe, comfortable, nice enough to feel like good value (and a bit of a treat) but not so nice you feel guilty for leaving. The Andrews was perfect. Great rooms, delicious breakfast and fabulous location. Would recommend this to anyone who wants a nice hotel, but who is there to see the city.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 12, 2011

Stayed two nights at this hotel after a very long flight across the pacific. The front desk concierge (male) and entire hotel is exactly like Fawlty Towers. The concierge guy cannot understand any accent other than American (we're aussies), the bed was way too soft and we both slept like a banana and leaning into each other because there was no give, bathroom is the size of a coffin, and the breakfast is great if you like eating sugar and pastry. It gets a bit warm but if you open the windows, it can be a bit noisy. Good location though and it has tea and coffee making facilities in the lobby.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Steeeee69
Reviewed June 6, 2011

Older, but clean and a very good value. I really liked the continental breakfast surved on each floor and the complimentary glass of wine every evening.

Located just a short walk from Union Square and just across the street from a laundry business.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends