All reviewsfree breakfastbunk bedsunion squarecommon areasairport shuttleprivate bathroomyour luggagearound the cornercentral locationdormcurtainsprivacysfcityalleybackpackerslock
Reviewed September 28, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Adelaide for a week in Sept. We had a private room and bath. Be forewarned that the bed is a double, although we didn't have any trouble sleeping--it was quite comfy other than size. It's a bare-bones room. A bed, a nightstand, a dresser, and a safe (you have to supply the batteries.) I was quite disappointed after a long day of traveling not to have a TV to crash in front of, but I survived.
There are 5 computers with free internet that guests are free to use, though they are often occupied. We brought our laptop and had no trouble connecting to the network.
The bathroom was a fair size with a tile shower. It served us well, but I have to mention that the tile was coming up in some spots and stepping on chipped grout in the middle of the night is not fun. We also killed a handful of roaches.
Breakfast consisted of carbs--bagels, toast, english muffins, croissants--with various toppings--jam, butter, nutella, peanut butter.
We paid $100 a person for the room.
The location was the best part. It's within easy walking distance to the shopping on Market Street and other attractions in Union Square.
I would stay at the Adelaide again. Having to deal with the downfalls is certainly worth it considering it saved us hundreds of dollars to be able to spend having fun in the city.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 22, 2009

This hostel was recommended to me by a friend. The common area is lovely but other than that we didn't have a good experience; We booked a room in the hostel but was sent to their "other building" which is in fact a different hotel, a block away. Therefore we couldn't really enjoy the "hostel" atmosphere because we were in a completely different building.
The room which we got was old and had dirty sheet (which were replaced after we complained).
The girls in the reception told us that there was no available room in the main building but this was not true. Only after we decided to leave the place after one night (instead of 3) they suddenly found a place for us in the main building.
They should tell people exactly what they are getting, because if you book Adelaide Hostel you do not want to stay in Dakota Hotel (the other building which we've been sent to).

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 21, 2009

This is a great place if you.re looking for a very community-driven hostel with many opportunities to meet people through the many organized activities and intimate common areas. I almost felt like I was invading because it seemed that everyone knew each other very well. Also there was GREAT free breakfast, though very carb heavy. The common areas are very clean and relaxing and the place definitely has character.
The cons of this place is that it is SUPER-cramped. It's pushing it staying in a room of 6 people, it's hardly big enough to store just the luggage, let alone people. The bathrooms and showers, though clean, were hardly available. The free wifi was super slow, the computers always occupied, and the common areas were PACKED at all times. There was no AC and the rooms got incredibly hot and I ended up contracting a horrible cold of which all my other roommates had as well and I left early.

My experience wasn't the best but I still think it's a great place for young warrior-types looking to meet people and just needed a place to crash in NYC. Beware, a couple of people I met did get bed bugs.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed September 19, 2009

The dorms are ok, nothing fancy but what could you expect? No towel incluced in the stay, bring your own, but clean linen. Very helpful staff. Open 24/7. Free internet, both lots of computers as well as wifi. Computers keyboards and mouses are not very clean, should really be cleaned now and then. Location is good, almost in the center of San Francisco, walking distance to many places worth seeing. Breakfast is not so fantastic for me as scandinavian, lots of different breads, marmelades, jams and peanutbutter, coffee and tea. Worth the money, but not much more. I could perhaps stay there again if I have a tight budget.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed August 11, 2009

Great location. Is genuinely easy walk to Union Square. Close also to China Town and Italian District. Helpful staff - nothing a problem. Rooms very clean and a good size.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family