“Great experience at the Adelaide Hostel”
Review of Adelaide Hostel

Adelaide Hostel
Reviewed December 16, 2008

I had a great experience at the Adelaide Hostel in San Francisco. The staff was great, fun and helpful. The breakfast was excellent and abundant. The bed covers and towels were clean and the place itself was well kept and very clean. The staff organized different activities around the city. The location is great because it's close to everything.
I would definitely recommend the Hostel to anyone who wants to have a great time in San Francisco.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Adelaide Hostel

Reviewed October 7, 2008

A great location, although as it is a little lane, alot of cabbies dont know it so make sure you have a map. You need a pin code to get in, or they will buz you in. Very small and alot of stairs to get you up to the rooms. Rooms are small and there are seperate showers and toilets.
The free breakfast is excellent with tons of breads and bagels and tea and coffee. Free wifi and comfy lounge area.

Stayed: September 2008
Reviewed September 20, 2008

didnt actually stay at adelaide. we stayed in the sister hotel across the road. booked a standard doubleroom got a big room with 2 beds. bathroom was tiny but very clean.
the location is superb..just 2 minutes walk from union square.
went to adelaide hostel for breakfast. was delicous. basic but really nice and perfect to meet other travellers.
definatly good place to stay for what you pay.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 18, 2008

After reading Trip Advisors reviews about Adelaïde Hostel, I decided to make a booking for a private room for 3 people. When we arrived there, we were told that our room was in a nearby hotel : The Dakota Hotel.

When we asked the staff why we were not staying at the Adelaide Hostal, they were unable to give us an explanation and when we tried to speak to the manager (Gerry or Gerard), he told us in a very UNFRIENDLY way that the Dakota Hotel is the same hotel, it is just a different building and that it is under the same management.

So here we go, here is my review of the Adelaide Hostel, Alias Dakota Hotel.

When we arrived at the hotel, the staff at the reception was ok, a bit cold though.

We went to our room using the old elevator, which was tricky to use (BE careful with your fingers !!!!) and not always working so be ready to do some sport to get to your room! (Which is probably not a bad idea if you’re going to eat lots of greasy burgers)

The general aspect of the room was all right, furnished with old stuff which gave it a bit of charm. We had a double bed and a single one. It was equipped with a microwave, TV…and a VERY SMELLY fridge. After one EXTREMELY NOISY night, I got bitten by what I thought was a mosquito but maybe it was something else as there were no mosquitoes in the room (Bedbugs???) and spent the following 2 weeks with horrible itchy bites over my face and neck ! My friend who slept in the single bed had a horrible back pain when she woke up.

We did have breakfast included in the price but had to do a bit of walking as it is served in the other building (what is called the Adelaide hostel). We got ready for breakfast and wore our jackets as it was cold outside (fortunately it was not raining!). My boyfriend almost lost one of his fingers when trying to close the door of the bedroom.

When we arrived at the Adelaide building, on our way to the breakfast room, we saw a guy sleeping (deep sleep, not a Siesta) in one of the sofa of the living room! We found that amuzing as maybe he lost the key of the room or…his friends do not support his snoring!!!). We had a high carbohydrate content breakfast (large choice of bread and bagels), coffee and tea. Make sure you clean your cup before leaving the place!

After 2 days, as I was searching for my hairbrush around the bed, I noticed that the room was not so clean as I found lots of bits and pieces that seemed to have been under the bed and between the bed and the wall forever as well as lots of dust …(including travel tickets from previous residents!). On our way to have our second breakfast, we stopped at the shop next to the DAKOTA to buy orange juice for breakfast (if you don´t like the smelly fridge of your room, you can leave food in the fridges of the ADELAIDE kitchen which is opened 24H. It´s up to you, if you feel brave enough to get out at night and walk to the other building to have a sip of your favorite juice! ). Anyway, on our way to the kitchen, we saw the same guy sleeping in the sofa…and there was another one sleeping in the second sofa! I did not know we could book a sofa, too!

To conclude, this place is ok if you don´t mind walking a bit to get breakfast, not-so-clean-bedrooms, stinky fridge, Bedbugs, noise. Bring ear plugs and wear boxing Gloves! I would not recommend this hotel to my firends and family. I went back to San Francisco 2 weeks later and stayed at the Mayflower hotel, which I highly recommend. It is situated in Bush street (see my review).

Last but not least I’d like to mention that the Adelaide hostel website does not mention anything about the Dakota hotel so make sure you ask where you going to stay before booking if, like me, you do not appreciate be sent to a different place without prior notice. I’m now back from my trip to SF and I have checked reviews of the Dakota Hotel in trip Advisors. If I had read them before, I wouldn’t have made the booking to stay at this hotel! I also believe it is cheaper if you book directly at the Dakota without going through Adelaide.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank Voyageuse_espagnole
Reviewed June 1, 2008

This hostel is amazing! Located in the center, with plenty of facilities, free internet, free large breakfast, clean bathrooms and rooms, confortable beds.
Moreover you can eat a hot healty dinner for 5 dollars! The only recommendation is to print out a map with direction cause it's in a small street..especially for those of you who are planning to arrive during the evening! Have fun in San Francisco!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 7, 2008

Small but cosy place. Loved their free breakfast and free internet usage and really appreciated a clean bathroom. Dorms are just average (not brand new) and not fantastic but what was important to me was I have felt comfortable staying there. Staff were very helpful with our big and heavy bags. They were very generous with their breakfast - wide selection of breads (croissant, muffins, bagels you name it!) and a good selection of spreads - butter, nutella, different types of jams, peanut butter (sorry Aussies, no vegemite unfortunately!). And it's all you can eat! I will consider staying here again next time I visit SF!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 2, 2008

I was visiting from North Carolina for two days. Physically I like the building--old house, red marble bathrooms, excellent living room. The handle fell off in the shower but these things don't bother me. The free breakfast was fantastic, particularly the coffee. I stayed in "Claire," a three bedroom room, with two strangers and it was fine. It is a full hostel, but reasonably quiet. I found the staff very friendly. My only caveat is that the owner doesn't really pick people up from the airport. No reason why he should, for $25.00 with breakfast thrown in, but he shouldn't say he does. The airport shuttle is relatively cheap and BART is nearby but I chose not to navigate the walk from BART by myself in a strange city when I was tired.

Stayed: April 2008