“Really worked for what I needed ” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Adelaide Hostel

You added Adelaide Hostel to your Saves list
Adelaide Hostel
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   5 Isadora Duncan Lane, San Francisco, CA 94102 (Formerly Adelaide Inn)   |
Yomitan-son, Japan
“Really worked for what I needed ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014 via mobile

First time a stayed in a hostel. I'm traveling through and decided to stay in SF for 3 days to check the place out. Basically just needed a place to sleep, shower, and charge my phone.
I found the room I stayed in the first night to be absolutely disgusting bit that was the fault of the occupants, not the staff. Toilets and showers were very clean. The downstairs living room was a really cool area. I never used the kitchen so I can really comment on that. As for the staff, I only really dealt with one girl, I think her name was Julie maybe, she was awesome. She help me out any time I needed anything. 2 thumbs up for that hire!
All in all not a bad experience at all. Like I said though, it really worked for what I needed.

Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Wyatt L

Santiago, Chile
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

I'd highly recommend this hostel to any international students or young travelers. Although the rooms are not the best (they only have the very basics), the place itself is very clean, with thoughtful decoration and a great atmosphere. The common rooms feel like very big but cozy living rooms, and the kitchen area has all you could need. The breakfast is also very complete.

Some negative things to take into account: they could benefit from having more bathrooms; the beds are a bit old and noisy; and it may be a bit noisy during the night, but nothing too bad.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars
1 Thank SebHoch
Paris, France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

Dirty rooms, with many badbugs, cheap, and many people, a dirty kitchen, with refrigerator stench of old food, and the only thing good location, close to Union Square.
Beware, do not be fooled by the comments, you reserve in Adelaide send you to the Dakota, or vise verse dirty place both hostel.No words to say how much a liar and these comments, I've been staying at the Adelaide Hostel, polite staff bad, stole my cell phone iphone 5s, I informed the owner known as PJ, arrogant, not looking at our face and said he could do nothing.

Room Tip: No words to say how much a liar and these comments, I've been staying at the Adelaide Hostel, po...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
4 Thank Julian823
Ilaria L, Manager at Adelaide Hostel, responded to this review, June 8, 2014
Dear Julian 823,

I apologize you had such a bad experience here at the Adelaide. Anyhow, I would like to take this chance to shed some lights on a couple of issues you have mentioned in your review that could be a little misleading for other travellers. Rooms both at the Adelaide and the Dakota get thoroughly cleaned every day, while bathrooms gets cleaned three times on a daily basis; the kitchen gets cleaned after breakfast and after its closing time at 10pm: our staff does the best to keep everything up to standard, but you may understand that we do not have control over people who do not clean up after themselves. About the fridge, it gets cleaned every week: our staff throws old food or food of guests that have already left the hostel, cleans the fridge, and makes space for upcoming guests.
I have not quite understood the part of your Iphone 5s: I am sorry you have lost or misplaced your phone, but I must say that our staff is trustworthy and has been so for a long time. If you want you can contact us privately you can do so by sending an email to info@adelaidehostel.com and tell us more details about the case; we will be happy to investigate.
Regarding the bed bugs, although it is true that it can happen and I'd like to remind that it happens everywhere, we do make sure to take a prompt action on it. We steam rooms, change linens, curtains and matresses, and disinfest everything.
Again, we do apologize if you had a bad experience, but I would not go that far by calling someone a liar or arrogant: I can assure you we do care about people and work our best to make sure they have an enjoyable stay with us.
Koronowo, Poland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

Hostel on pics looks great but went we got there they told us to go to Dakota hostel ( very close to Adelaide). Elevator looked like it was about to fall down. Hostel was very dirty and stinky. Bed was incredibly uncomfortable. Breakfast wasn't so bad but also realy good. All in all only good thing about this place is realy good location. But for that pice don't expect a lot. Because of good location and price I rated it as "avarage".

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

I lived in San Jose and when I stayed in San Francisco at weekends, I stayed at the Adelaide Hostel every time!
The staff are brilliant, friendly and very helpful! Free Breakfast in the morning is a huge plus and a great saving for those travelling!
Appeared to attract a great mix of people which was great!
Beds are comfortable and rooms are clean.
Located in the heart of SF, this place is a must when staying in SF especially with it big such great value! Will def be back!

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

On our recent west coast road trip, the Adelaide was my favourite hostel. A nice mixed atmosphere with some families and older travellers as well as your standard bunch of young people. Good sturdy bunks built into the wall mean there's none of that awkward clambering up a wobbly bunk, disturbing everyone as the frame squeaks and creaks. Also the big lockers under the bunks were big enough to fit two suitcases. The staff were helpful, the breakfast was plentiful and tasty, and the location was fantastic (lots of key attractions including Fisherman's Wharf and the Mission are walkable). All of the above for good old cheap hostel prices! I'll definitely be going back.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014 via mobile

They will do as much as they can to help you, rooms are perfect for travelers (bunks beds with light, plugs and curtains) and the breakfast is amazing. The place is quiet and they offert a lot of activities.
Definitely gonna choose this hostel again

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends