“Cheap, extremely clean, perfect location!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Adelaide Hostel

Adelaide Hostel
Melbourne
“Cheap, extremely clean, perfect location!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2014 via mobile

We booked a private room for the adelaide hostel, which actually turned out to be a room in 'the fritz' or something similar to that 50 metres away!

Highly recommend for those wanting a private room, room was quite fancy, with great staff and a safe clean environment!

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Tokyo, Japan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2014

This was my first time ever to stay in a hostel and I loved it! The part that this hostel made my stay superb was that I got to meet people from all over the world. The daily activities were fun and organized quite well.
I stayed in a female dorm room and all beds come with curtain, so I was able to sleep without being disturbed. The bed is hard to climb up though.
Some minor negative comments about this place is
1. The staff told me to stay in Dakota hotel upon check-in.
But I refused since there's no curtain in Dakota dorm rooms. The staff ended up giving me a female dorm bed though at first they said it was all full.
2. Blankets and rental towel cleanliness was not up-to standards.
I found some hair on my blanket and the towel I rented ($1). It was pretty gross..wonder if they are washed after every use..I ended up buying my own bath towel at Ross.

• Stayed April 2014
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2014

Me and two friends stopped here for 5 nights in September 2013. The location was brilliant, close to Union Square and Market Street. Transport links from the surrounding area were also excellent, meaning it was easy to catch a bus or the underground to other areas of the city including Haight Ashby, Golden Gate Park and the airport.
The room it's self was basic but had everything we needed, so there was no complaints whatsoever. The breakfast was self service and there was a large range of bakery goods and fruit to choose from which suited even the vegan among our group!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Innsbruck, Austria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2014

Me and a friend from Austria stayed here for almost 2 weeks and surfed Ocean Beach everyday. The owner was the friendliest person you've ever seen, being worried about us all the time because of the numerous big sharks in the water. They're not a big deal, trust me! We headed down to San Diego after that and when we came back to SF it was no question that we'd stay in the Adelaide hostel again. Loved every minute of it, not quite as much of a party place like other hostels nearby, which was good since we got up early every morning. Loved the breakfast, the staff, the location, the peers, everything! I almost feel bad it took me 3 months to write this review...Definitely recommend it!!!! Hope to see you again in SF someday.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
New Haven, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2014

The Adelaide is right in the heart of Downtown San Francisco, putting a traveller in a good spot to explore many portions of the city with ease.

The amenities are fairly standard, and the rooms are nice. I especially liked the locker areas under the bed with the power sockets inside, making me feel comfortable letting my electronics charge while I wasn't there.

Staff is very friendly, although there were occasions when no one was available at the counter for 5-10 minutes, leading to some confusion at times for new arrivals.

After seeing other hostels on my trip, I noted that Adelaide could invest in some nicer locks and security measures, especially given the area of downtown it is in. That being said, I had absolutely no problems with theft or feeling unsafe, and did not hear any issues while I was staying there relating to break-ins or theft.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Ilaria L, Manager at Adelaide Hostel, responded to this review, March 30, 2014
Dear fubuloubu,

thank you for staying with us, and also to have taken the time to review the hostel and give us some suggestions! Regarding the security of our place, we have many cameras placed both outside and inside, and our staff is there to make sure that everything runs smoothly, especially at night time. We also have a security door accessible only with a code: the latter gets changed every second week or so. We try to do our best to keep a high standard of security, so as to give the traveller the possibility to enjoy their stay in the city without constantly worrying about their belongings.
We apologize if you felt the staff was nowhere to be found at times: it may happen that they need to go to the bathroom, or go downstairs and prepare a cup of tea, but perhaps we should follow up on your suggestion, and have them put a small sign at reception as 'be back in five minutes', so as not to create any confusion, what do you think?
Again, thank you so much both for staying with us and for taking the time to write the review: it is indeed the only way we can efficiently improve our service!
All the best with your travels, and we hope to see you soon!
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2014

Great experience! Especially like the curtain and socket for each bed.
THe hostel is in a lane and you might feel sketchy at night if walking alone, but the location is convenient and the atmosphere in the hostel is relaxing. I also like their shuttle service tohe airport.
The shower room is a bit small though, others are all fine!
Will stay here if I come to San Francisco again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Ilaria L, Manager at Adelaide Hostel, responded to this review, March 30, 2014
Dear Stella T,

thank you very much for your review and also for taking advantage of our shuttle service! It is easy and convenient, as it is pretty much the same price as the metro, only that you don't have to walk all over with your bags. Also, I am glad to hear positive feedbacks about our newly refurbished bunks, we all think it is very comfortable to have your niche with a light and a socket:!
We look forward to see you back here when you come around next time! All the best for your travels!
Nevers, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2014

this place was unquestionably cute; flowers outside in the alley; the rooms have custom built-in wooden bunks with a privacy curtain and a sink in each room. i stayed in 2 different rooms there, and was digging the nautical theme/maps decor, looking at micronesian islands while i brushed my teeth. the lockable foor-trunks with safety light are genius, convenient. the serve-yourself breakfast in the basement kitchen was the best hostel breakfast i've ever had; fresh-squeezed OJ, fruit, and breads. the bathrooms were serviceable, if not quite clean; in fact, the nature of my complaints around this place have to do with general cleanliness. There was a wierd smell of burnt food lingering throughout both nights of my stay here, the carpets were bedraggled and sweaty; a small price to play for the charm i guess. the second nature of my complaint was staff; i interacted with 3 different front desk people here and while not rude, they all seemed distracted and lackadaisical, borderline stoned or something. i was assigned the wrong bed number both times and just figured it out myself. also, this place is n-o-i-s-y, crowded and in general (as most hostels but markedly so here), very young. all in all, it was ok.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo