“Great stay :)”
Review of Adelaide Hostel

Adelaide Hostel
Reviewed October 5, 2013

Warm staff and environment! Don't get fooled by the fact that it is at the back of an alley, it has nothing to do with what is inside its doors and it is located in a very nice area or the city, right downtown. Great kitchen to prepare your meals. Fridges are available to keep your food for the entire time of your stay. Breakfast is available every morning with anything you want: bagels, toasts, cereals, fruits, oatmeal, muffins, orange juice, coffee... You really feel like you are being taken care of and people want you to feel at home as much as possible. They arrange activities and nights out for their travelers to meet with each other. Everyone is really trying to help you out for whatever issue you have. I could not find the place when I arrived from the train station and so I called and one of the receptionist went out to get me 2 blocks away. That is customer service! They also helped me book my wine tasting tour and I got a great discount on it since I was staying at that hostel (Edge of the world Day tours, I recommend). They have an entire wall of flyers for you to plan your activities in San Francisco and again, activities that you get discounts on. Another thing I got a discount on was with that bike tour company named Blazing Saddles. Rooms are pretty decent and lockers are available in the rooms themselves. Bathrooms are clean, numerous and convenient. There is a great quiet common room, warmly decorated with many comfortable couches and tables. Cleaning facilities are easy to use. I've seen people of all ages, so it is a very welcoming place to stay. Only bad thing that happened to me was to see a bug running on my bed structure and another one in the bathroom, but receptionists were really concerned when I mentioned it and I don't doubt they are being very careful about it.

Room Tip: As a girl, I would choose girls' dorms instead of mixed dorms and not over 6 persons' dorms...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed October 1, 2013

This was by far the worst place we stayed on our trip in the USA. We payed extra so we could have a private room as we were told this was in a separate building and more like a hotel. Were do I start.... the lift didn't work most of the time, the rooms were so noisy it was hard to sleep, the toilet didn't work and we had to keep filling up the cistern from the shower, the beds were uncomfortable, breakfast was no existent really, the rooms were old and run down and the homeless people hung around the entrance. The best part about this place was the casual girl on the from desk with the sweet little dog and the fact that the manager refunded us the reainder of our stay so we could get out of there!!

Room Tip: I wouldn't recommend staying here.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Elizabeth O, Public Relations Manager at Adelaide Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2013

Dear Rebecca,
We're sorry you felt so badly about your experience, so much so as to write a harsh review even after we refunded your money. Also, we have done renovation since you stayed in April so your review does not exactly reflect the current state of the hotel. To the different points you mentioned; breakfast is indeed existent, with coffee, orange juice, and a variety of toasts, bagels, jams, butter, cream cheese, and Nutella to choose from. It's certainly comparable to what you would get at any hostel. Sometimes it runs low if you are arriving close to 10am, but otherwise there should be no shortage of food. Secondly, if you were having a problem with your toilet, that is why we have reception on hand 24 hours, and a maintenance team, who would have been happy to address the problem for you. There is no reason why you should have felt the need to fix the plumbing by yourself. Finally, we can't do anything about the people in the area as they come with the territory of staying in downtown San Francisco, right next to Union Square. We have 24 hour security so that you never have to feel worried while staying in the hotel, but they do not pose a danger anyway (except to themselves). We are glad you did at least enjoy meeting Cinnamon the chihuahua. Cheers and all the best on your travels.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

Easily the best hostel I have been to in San Francisco. I went a few times back in 2011 then got to check out the place again last November. The price is really cheap for what you get - the rooms and amenities are of much better quality than what most hostels in the area have to offer, in the same price range too. The common room / lounge is really nice with a lot of comfortable couches, great wifi, individual computers, inexpensive snacks - it is also really quiet and the atmosphere is prone to calm conversation and exchange, which makes for a welcome change from the wild partying and loud talk that seem to be a norm in hostels downtown SF. Most of the shared rooms consist in wood-solid bunk-bed-like installations with individual curtains so that everyone gets their privacy ; however mine was different, located on the upper floor, it had metallic, noisy, fairly uncomfortable bunk beds and separated from the next room by a simple curtain - I never dared to venture into that next room in order to find out what was inside (it looked like a private section of the building) but it felt like there was a TV there that was always on and someone was watching constantly - weird atmosphere. I did sleep well though, and there were enough bathrooms and showers on my floor so that I could feel comfortable. I lost some clothes at some point that the staff was honest and considerate enough to find and bring me back. The location is perfect - it's in the middle of everything, and secluded enough from the tenderloin area so that you don't really meet too many lost souls on the streets, just a few blocks up from Powell and Market streets, and near Union Square. If I had to go back to a hostel in SF that would be the one I would pick by far.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Elizabeth O, Public Relations Manager at Adelaide Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2013

Thank you for your feedback! We're so glad you enjoyed the cozy atmosphere, and yes, we like to offer a place for travelers that is fun but not chaotic- a place where you can relax and have some sanctuary and meet great people. As for your comments on the room, I see you stayed in November of 2012 and we've done some significant renovation since then- we're planning to have all of the bunks in the building upgraded to be wooden with privacy and personal reading lights by the end of this year. At the time you stayed, you may have been in a room that was shared with a long-term staff member, which would explain the curtain partition. None of the rooms have that set-up anymore, however, so come back and see the changes we've made next time you're in town! :)

Reviewed September 26, 2013

I loved the location of this hostel - a super short walk to Union Square and right in the middle of lots of restaurants, coffee shops, and bars. Also not far from the famous cable car. I recommend using GPS to find the place (I didn't realize it was in an alley, off any main road), but once you're there, it's comfortable. My favorite part was the environment and the people; San Francisco is electric and I always had friendly people to talk to. Only negative: the staff was sometimes ambivalent.

Room Tip: Dorms with less people (4 female dorm, for instance) have better amenities. Outlets at every bed, st...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 21, 2013

The Adelaide Hostel looked fairly nice from the main common areas, unfortunately as soon as we showed up they informed us that we will be staying in the Dakota Hotel up the street. When we booked rooms at the Adelaide, I saw pictures of bunks with curtains, it looked clean and descent. The rooms at the Dakota hotel were not much like the photos that I booked the room according to, so be warned. The cleaner(s) came into the room in the morning when someone was booked to leave to change the sheets. I found that the beer fridge provided in the room was cleaned out yet the shower and the floor was always left nasty throughout my 6 day stay. It says on the paperwork you receive upon check-in to put all your items in the lockers provided, a lot of the rooms didn't even have lockers! there were some in the hall, but most were not big enough to accommodate a large backpack. The staff was friendly, location was good if you want to be in the thick of it. San Francisco was nice, great architecture, but a bit of a tourism milk show! Moooooo

Room Tip: Insist on staying in the Adelaide
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Elizabeth O, Public Relations Manager at Adelaide Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

We are sorry you did not enjoy all aspects of your stay with us. We certainly do not intend to "bait and switch" anyone- sometimes during peak travel season, such as now, we offer the rooms at the Dakota Hotel. Many people actually prefer the ambiance there and the perks such as a private bathroom and refrigerator in the room. You are always welcome to use the common areas and amenities of both buildings. As for San Francisco being a "tourism milk show"- we can't do much about that- and we hope you were able to enjoy some of the many unique and funky parts of the city during your stay!

Reviewed September 20, 2013

My first time in SF, I loved this hostel, It's a 40 minutes ride by shuttle to/from the airport. A very friendly staff, I had a really good time staying at Adelaide. Very close to buses, cable cars. Rooms were big enough and clean, I was fortunate to have good roommates for the dorm I was in. Great social area's and good breakfast every morning, the hostel had lots of events and I would love to stay again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 15, 2013

My stay in the Adelaide Hostel was fantastic! There's free wifi and the lounge area is lovely. I was in a 12 bed dorm but the beds were really nice and had a cute curtain to give you your own privacy and there was a shelf and light above the bed. there were lockers under the bed too and they had a socket which was really handy for charging my ipod and laptop safely. There's free breakfast every morning with orange juice, fruit bowls, bagels and oatmeal!! Emily and Alese do breakfasts and they are lovely! and there's free chilli, pasta or wine and cheese some nights too. The hostel also offers free pub crawls, and the one by Will is particularly good! This hostel was really clean and the housekeepers are lovely especially Max, Audrey, Sierra, Declan and Tory. The receptionists were also really friendly and can give you lots of advice about the best things to see and do. Kev, Nicole, Ilaria and Suprita were particularly helpful. The location of the hostel is great. Its really central and near union square, the cable car and the BART so its easy to travel to anywhere else in the city. Theres always something going on in this hostel and its a great place to meet new people. The Adelaide was amazing and my summer wouldn't have been the same without the people I met there.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends