All reviewsfree breakfastbunk bedsunion squarecommon areasairport shuttleprivate bathroomyour luggagearound the cornercentral locationdormcurtainsprivacysfcityalleybackpackerslock
Reviewed April 28, 2008

I travel constantly for work and I'm very used to budget hotels. The Adelaide hostel, while it might seem kind of hip at first, is actually a total dump and not worth the money if you can find something comparable elsewhere. The staff at the hostel put me in a room in the nearby Dakota hotel - the room itself at first appeared alright and even a bit fun and funky. Once I looked closer, however, I could see that the floors were actually incredibly dirty, the bathroom sink was missing the handles on the taps, the toilet was disgusting, and the worst part of all is in the morning I discovered that one of the doors in the bedroom actually opened right into the main hallway and the locks on it were broken. For the price, if you're a young single and just looking for somewhere downtown to crash after getting drunk, and you don't mind it being filthy and potentially dangerous, then this might be the right place for you. For anyone else who wants at least a minimum standard of cleanliness and basic things like having doors that lock, please don't stay here! It's absolutely awful. I have stayed in super 8's that were classier than this! If this is the only downtown hotel you can afford, i feel it would be better to stay on the other side of the bay and commute downtown either by car or the BART, and avoid this place if you can!

Oh, and a warning - they don't allow cancellations without 48 hours notice, a bit drastic for the lowest quality hotel I have ever stayed in!

• Stayed: April 2008
Reviewed January 2, 2008

We were is San Fran for a month so we decided to stay in the Adelaide because it suited our budget, the free breakfast was fairly average and to be expected, bread, butter, jam etc..
The staff were friendly enough for most part but towards the second part of our stay it was obvious from their attitude that we became second rate customers to them particularly the man who runs it.
The rooms are fairly dark and cramped, we were staying in the 10 bed dorm and underneath my matress I found used band aids, bread crusts and other such unpleasant things although the bathrooms were usually alright
In the evenings the main public lounge could be very good with the holiday makers and travellers all gathering for drinks

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank gyeah
Reviewed October 13, 2007

The Adelaide hostel is a great place to stay if you'd like a private room on a budget. All private rooms are in the Dakota just round the corner.

We had a room for 3 people which came complete with an ensuite bathroom, tv, fridge and free wireless internet - we stayed at the Hilton on our last night as a treat and had to pay for internet!

The location is excellent and staff very helpful, plus they have valet parking available for $16 a day.

I woulddefinietly recommend this hostel.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with friends
3  Thank hippy_flower
Reviewed September 12, 2007

I really liked this hostel except for the staff, which was difficult to work with, right up to the man who appeared to be in charge. The hostel is close to Union Square and although it's down an alleyway, it's nice inside, with a great common area and kitchen, free breakfast, movies, wifi and PCs available (free as well) if you don't have a laptop with you. There are laundry machines and a lot of good information about activities in the area. The rooms are too cramped and the walls could use a painting, but everything is kept clean. The bathrooms were a standout because they're private and kept very clean. So it's a great hostel except for a staff that had difficulty fielding the smallest of concerns without displaying an attitude.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled solo
Reviewed August 9, 2007

The hostel seemed OK but my bed was given away and I spent half an hour in the lobby trying to get something to sleep on. Although the staff was nice enough, I would avoid this place if possible.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled solo