All reviewsfree breakfastbunk bedsunion squarecommon areasairport shuttleprivate bathroomyour luggagearound the cornercentral locationdormcurtainsprivacysfcityalleybackpackerslock
Reviewed February 14, 2012

As my first solo trip to San Fran, I was a little nervous to stay in a communal hostel;
but from my first night I felt very at home.

A quick search on Google maps made The Adelaide easy to find -
Upon arriving the receptionist was very helpful and answered all of my concerns and questions with patience, the were friendly and offered to take my (ridiculously) heavy suit case up the stairs. My room (a shared female dorm) was clean, warm and tidy - the girls were lovely and welcoming, and throughout my stay, very respectful of space and belongings.

Though I found it was certainly the staff and other patrons of the hostel which made it such a positive experience. People were warm and friendly, always happy to have a chat, share travel experiences or just dicuss what's on their mind - the staff were like-minded, always helpful and happy to suggest things to do or places to see. I especially appreciated Mary Wees who from my first night was very sweet and accomodating, introducing me to the area, other staff, and generally just being making me feel welcome

Whether you want to be sociable, or just curl up in the lounge room with a book, The Adelaide is very obligable. Close to tonnes of interesting places (art galleries, Powell St Cable Cars, Union Square shopping, wharves, the Castro, etc) everywhere is easily accessible by either a short walk or train. Yummy free breakfast, fully equipped kitchen, Wi-Fi, nightly activities, cheap laundry, lovely people - I will definitely go back!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Christina P
Reviewed January 30, 2012

I booked Adelaide for me and 3 friends, we booked a private room. When we got there and dragged our suitcases up the stairs to the reception, where a man was stood there in no rush to help us weak girls. He told us that we were to go to Dakota Hotel round the corner for our private room. We was quite happy about this as we didnt like the look of Adelaide Hostel, especially with it being down an alley way. When we got to Dakota Hotel it was not too nice either, the reception staff didnt want to be there and we got pointed to the lift which should have been taken out 50 years ago (probably more). Our room was awful. Neither of us wanted to lay on the bed or use the bathroom. there was no space and it just seemed dirty in general.
There is no safe in the room either. We decided to try Adelaide Hostels bar carwl so waited outside the hostel for it to happen where staff of the Hostel ignored us and let us stand there without a clue, so we left and had a great night without their help. Before I went out I asked the Dakota Hotel staff to place my iPad in their safe in reception, they did this and all they needed was my room number. There was approc 10 people in reception at that time. when I returned to collect my iPad at 3am, the receptionist had changed, i told them my room number and without them asking was looking for my key for proof that it was mine, they said not to bother and that they trust me!!! I would not recommend you place anything in their safe as they would not care who they would give it back to. As I said there was 10 people in the recption when I gave it to them and would of clearly heard my room number and saw the colour of my iPad. So to collect it based on trust was quite annoying.
We decided this place was not for us after only staying one night, as the area was dodgy and we had to drink so we could cope with staying in the room to sleep. We asked for a refund for the remaining nights (which we got) and moved on.

NEVER STAY HERE!!!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 25, 2012

I had a fantastic time at this hostel! I booked a 4 bed female dorm and only ended up sharing with one other girl and we both had double beds! Perfect! We shared a bathroom with a few other girls in adjoining rooms but there was no problems with that! There was a wine a cheese night and a pub crawl, perfect for solo travelers looking to meet people! I had a ball here and would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 12, 2012

This place was decent, although the dorm room I stayed in was tiny, somewhat dingy, and the beds were incredibly squeaky, making it hard to sleep. Furthermore, I reserved an airport shuttle to OAK and they sent me to SFO. I missed my flight, and had to either pay $300 to switch flights, or stay in SF another 2 nights. The hostel was barely apologetic, offering no consolation. Plus, they told me it would cost $30 for the shuttle, when, in fact, it was $55.

The staff was nice, the common room was comfortable, but due to this huge mis-hap, I probably won't be staying here again.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank La K
Reviewed January 5, 2012

This was without a doubt the nicest, friendliest hostel I´ve ever been in. We booked a double room, and was surprised at what we got. It was up to the standard of a normal hotel room, with a private bathroom, but cheaper. A very nice breakfast was included, with bagels and fresh fruit, and the staff were really helpful. They also connected us to a cheap sguttle service to the airport, which was great.
The decor was really nice, with a big cosy living room area, which had a christmas tree and a fireplace, and a nice dining-room downstairs, with a good atmosphere in the evening. However, it wasn´t a party place, which for us was great, since we wanted a quiet stay.
All in all, a very nice place

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple