“My #1 pick for an affordable San Francisco hotel”

Hotel Rex, a Joie de Vivre hotel
Ranked #55 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
Florida
“My #1 pick for an affordable San Francisco hotel”
Reviewed March 13, 2009

I've been coming to San Francisco frequently for two years and this is by far the best place I've stayed.

First, it is extremely well located on a safe, clean, and reasonably quiet block of Sutter Street, only 1 1/2 blocks from Union Square. So you can walk to shopping, theater, Chinatown, Financial District, and cable cars and busses are a few steps away. As a single female traveler, I feel safe here on the street and in the hotel and in my room.

Right now in the off season, I am staying here for an incredible $104 a night in a room that will be $250+ a night this summer. The decor is beautiful and stylish, with bright South of France colors. Very cheerful.

Staff is very friendly and helpful. My room is large (by downtown San Francisco standards). I'm staying here a month for work and leisure and spend a fair amount of time in the room working on my laptop. There is plenty of space for me to work without being cramped.

There is a restaurant in the hotel that serves breakfast and dinner and also room service. Food is very good. And, there are many nearby inexpensive options in close walking distance.

This is very comfortable for me for a long-term stay, as well as being the best price I could find.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank flitsaround

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed March 9, 2009

Had a great time here-- nothing to specifically "write home" about, but it was in a great location, clean, friendly, safe and had internet and printers to print out your flight boarding passes.

We grilled the front desk for lots of dinner options, and were always pleased with our choices. I would return here again- and know that I would not be dissapointed.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed February 24, 2009

A good hotel- excellent location and very friendly and helpful staff. We did order room service and it did come a little cold, but we were too tired to make a fuss! It was pretty nice food though. Nonetheless the hotel was very neat, clean and comfortable. It had a massive LCD screen TV in the bedroom, which was nice. The hotel also had an office room with macs in which we could use. I would recommend this hotel to a friend.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ric_cull
Las Vegas, NV
Reviewed February 18, 2009

Drat. I had really looked forward to a romantic Valentine's Day getaway with my husband. We planned it at the last minute. I booked a package of flight and hotel through an online service. I had a variety of hotels to choose from, so of course I checked Trip Advisor to see which one was best. Hotel Rex seemed like a great romantic choice. I love old houses. I've stayed in old European hotels. I know to expect character, not modern perfection.

Our first impression was a good one. The clerk was prompt and helpful. The lobby was cozy and inviting. We arrived late, and the bar was closed, but it all seemed wonderful. The size of the room was a little bit disappointing, but we were happy to find a flat screen TV, an alarm clock that accommodates an iPod, and a lighted makeup mirror. These were all little extras that made our stay nicer.

One of the first negatives we ran into was that there was no view. No big deal, really. I don't go to a hotel to gaze out the window. But this Valentine's Day weekend was miserable and rainy, so we spent more time in the room than we normally would. Our view was a brick wall. We couldn't see the sky, the ground, or anything on either side. Just that brick wall. There was no comfortable place to sit and watch the TV. When I wanted to iron something, I discovered there was no outlet that I could plug the iron into and set up the ironing board near. I had to lift the ironing board over the bed and set it up with myself stuck in the corner.

As you might have gleaned from the title of this post, though, the worst problem was the thermostat that was simply an On/Off switch. It had a temperature dial, but the dial made no difference. If you turned on the fan, the heat was on. And on and on and on until it was sweltering. If you turned it off, the dreary February damp made its way around the charming, rustic window (with window A/C), and we found ourselves soon shivering.

We had arrived on a Friday night and we told the desk clerk about the broken thermostat on Saturday morning as we left. We heard him calling maintenance as we walked out the front door. When we returned, the thermostat was exactly as it had been when we arrived. Broken. We told a second desk clerk about the broken thermostat on Saturday evening. He told us that that's the way it's supposed to work. I spent five minutes trying to explain. "No, there's a temperature dial on it. If I set the dial to a certain number, it's supposed to turn the heat on and off so that it stays at that temperature."

"No, that's the heat."

"Yes, I know that's the heat. I'm not trying to get it to blow cold air. I just want it to turn off once in a while."

"That's the heat."

I gave up. We spent Saturday night turning the heat on and off.

On Sunday night I was up sick all night -- unrelated to the cold, but no good for my temperament -- but it allowed me to serve as the thermostat while my husband got a little sleep.

On Monday when we checked out, I tried to tell one more clerk about the thermostat. She politely and regretfully told me that yes, most of the thermostats are broken. Yes, she knows they just act as On/Off switches. She said that some of them do work, but most don't.

So they know. They know! But they don't fix them?! I just...really...don't understand.

The location is great. The decor is beautiful. The linens are luxurious. The bar is quaint -- and oh! Don't let them forget to tell you about the complimentary glass of wine each night! They forgot to tell us. We only found out as we picked up our bags to leave and heard them telling an arriving guest.

I would love to love the Hotel Rex. It's almost there. But, along with indoor plumbing (check!), I expect a heating system with a thermostat. If I wanted to go camping and be responsible for stoking and extinguishing the fire, I'd go camping. It's a lot cheaper.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank VegasAmy
Odense, Denmark
Reviewed February 8, 2009

I stayed at the Rex in New Year's Eve . The room was nice, clean & confortable , facing Sutter Street on the 6th floor, with a fantastic bed (see picture). I had dinner at The Rex , the food was ok although it took a while to be served. Before dinner there was live music in the hall (jazz) which was rather cool.
This hotel is all about location and it's staff. The staff was amazing, friendly and made one feel very welcome. Union Square is round the corner , as well as Cable cars ( corner of Powel & Sutter ). I had breakfast at Loris, it was great (check picture) . Good inexpensive food, free wireless ... can highly recommend it.
I would have no problem at all to return to the Rex on my next trip to San Francisco .

• Liked — Location & Staff !
  • Disliked — Dinner could have been better ....
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank GreatDaneDanmark
Scotland
Reviewed February 2, 2009

Stayed at this hotel while in SF on business last July(very late with review). I picked it as it appeared to be a more personal and smaller option, which proved to be correct. It has quite small rooms and appears a bit cluttered and old fashioned. It is eclectic and and a tad bohemian in appearance, displaying thye works of local artists. The staff are exceptionally friendly and informative and the wine tastings in the evening are a great way to get speaking to people. This place had more the feel of a country hotel in rural England. A very pleasant experience in the centre of a busy city.

Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
3 Thank Kiltedwarrior
Tokyo
Reviewed January 23, 2009

We were visiting college campuses for our 12 year old son to inspire him to study and make plans to continue in higher education. The Hotel Rex was a perfect place to stay to promote such inspiration, as it was like a bookstore or library with books everywhere. My son likes books so felt at ease in the lobby and the rooms.

The staff went out of their way for kindness and service, and we appreciated the friendliness and warm atmosphere, as well as the intellectual clientele.

It was fun.